Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Mojo Homes

Page 37 of 62
Warwicks2016
onggie
The best thing for cameras is just to run CAT cables. IP cameras can then be powered by ethernet as well, meaning you only need to run one cable instead of having cables for power/video/audio.

Yep. All over the IP cameras.

As for the ease of terminating Cat5 versus Cat6, admittedly, I havent been on the tools for a few years, but I made a fair bit of coin testing installations, making repairs and certifying to Cat6 or Cat5.

It was easier to pass Cat5 even with average terminations, than Cat6.
i would need to be spot on with my Cat6, matching the cable to the jacks, so there was no difference in the copper causing reflection points and so on.

But that was 5 years ago.

I wish they had an option to run the cable and leave the termination for after the build!

Glad to know I am not the only one who has spent over 15k on electricals. Aprx 3600 of that is cat6 cabling in all rooms including provision for external IP cameras.

I am having the cables terminated near nbn box in garage. Builder contractors will just leave the cables dangling. What I am not sure about is the patch panel and switch which I will have to do after handover. Warwick, any suggestion?

HomeTweetHome

I am having the cables terminated near nbn box in garage. Builder contractors will just leave the cables dangling. What I am not sure about is the patch panel and switch which I will have to do after handover. Warwick, any suggestion?

Um, I'm not sure. I have only fitted coax security cameras. IP cameras are new to me (technically I dont have a security licence) And I have never fitted them as a sparky or data cabler in a professional situation.

I would have the security camera cables where my DVR is going to be located. For us, it will be the study. That way each cable will have PoE from the DVR.

You'd need to talk to a professional IP camera installer.

I found a post regarding using a PoE network switch in a situation similar to yours, but it doesnt say how it connects to the DVR.

Cheers
Blayne.
HomeTweetHome

So they aren't actually going to be terminated? What do Mojo provide in their builds, one of those crappy small Hills Home Hubs? I can give you advice if I know what is actually included. How many points do you have as well?

onggie
HomeTweetHome

So they aren't actually going to be terminated? What do Mojo provide in their builds, one of those crappy small Hills Home Hubs? I can give you advice if I know what is actually included. How many points do you have as well?

They don't provide anything as far as I know. As far as I know they charge extra for the hub which I did not want.

I have 27 cat6 points in total and some of them I intend to use
for telephone and some to transmit hdmi from media room to other room. At least 4 will be used for PoE to power wireless access points as well as ip cameras.

HomeTweetHome
They don't provide anything as far as I know. As far as I know they charge extra for the hub which I did not want.

for telephone and some to transmit hdmi from media room to other room. At least 4 will be used for PoE to power wireless access points as well as ip cameras.

Good choice, some builders put them in and they use the small home hubs. The big ones are marginally better. I suggest one 24 port unmanaged switch and one 4 or 8 port PoE switch. The reason for this is PoE switches are relatively expensive so if it dies, a small sized PoE is cheap to replace.

You don't technically a patch panel it just makes things easier and tidy. So if you are going the patch panel route then you'll have a rack which will have the patch panel and switches mounted in. Do you plan to put a rack in, I'm assuming something like a 6RU?
onggie
HomeTweetHome

Good choice, some builders put them in and they use the small home hubs. The big ones are marginally better. I suggest one 24 port unmanaged switch and one 4 or 8 port PoE switch. The reason for this is PoE switches are relatively expensive so if it dies, a small sized PoE is cheap to replace.

You don't technically a patch panel it just makes things easier and tidy. So if you are going the patch panel route then you'll have a rack which will have the patch panel and switches mounted in. Do you plan to put a rack in, I'm assuming something like a 6RU?

Thanks. I like tidy setup so I will go for patch panel and rack. Will need to understand the difference between managed and unmanaged switch though. Any recommendations for licensed cabler and cost?

I have tried to future proof the house with all the cabling. Let's see how I go.

HomeTweetHome
Thanks. I like tidy setup so I will go for patch panel and rack. Will need to understand the difference between managed and unmanaged switch though. Any recommendations for licensed cabler and cost?

I have tried to future proof the house with all the cabling. Let's see how I go.

Managed switches are for enterprise/businesses that give you more control of the network. They will be more expensive as well. So just look for unmanaged switches, really when it comes to unmanaged you don't need to be anal. Netgear or TP-Link will do, just post here when your ready with your budget and people can chime in.

I can't help with a licensed cabler, but don't just call up sparkies as some of the work I have seen by a sparkie is atrocious as communications cabling is different to electrical cabling.

HomeTweetHome
onggie
HomeTweetHome

I highly recommend you to not mix IP cameras with you Data network you will have an extremely slow network, especially is they all connect to a switch instead of the DVR. Best will be your main home network under one switch and your IP camera system on its own switch if you want internet access to the DVR just connect it to your modem/router. But keep those cameras away from you main network.
As for the switches if you do want to run under one you're probably look at a switch with VLAN capabilities to be able to separate the traffic between networks, but will cost you a lot.

Crownleyian

I highly recommend you to not mix IP cameras with you Data network you will have an extremely slow network, especially is they all connect to a switch instead of the DVR. Best will be your main home network under one switch and your IP camera system on its own switch if you want internet access to the DVR just connect it to your modem/router. But keep those cameras away from you main network.
As for the switches if you do want to run under one you're probably look at a switch with VLAN capabilities to be able to separate the traffic between networks, but will cost you a lot.

Apart from cheap switches being cable of having 10+mb throughput and my doubts of home users being able to flood the network with that amount of traffic. One of the main reasons people use VLANs in a home scenario is to allow access to the outside. The new subnet then adds a layer of security so that makes it hard to access your private network.

Further to that, if a user didn't know the difference between a managed/unmanaged switch then we can assume the user won't know how to setup a VLAN and create a static route to access that VLAN from within their own network.

onggie
Crownleyian

Apart from cheap switches being cable of having 10+mb throughput and my doubts of home users being able to flood the network with that amount of traffic. One of the main reasons people use VLANs in a home scenario is to allow access to the outside. The new subnet then adds a layer of security so that makes it hard to access your private network.

Further to that, if a user didn't know the difference between a managed/unmanaged switch then we can assume the user won't know how to setup a VLAN and create a static route to access that VLAN from within their own network.

VLAN would be an overkill but to balance the traffic it would be much better if you want to separate you IP cameras from your main network (subnet).
In regards to using IP cameras not sure if you mean 10MB switch? If so that won't work out I can guarantee you that will crumble the cameras. Most IP cameras now us HD at 1080, 720 so unless you put the quality down trust me it will crumble. I've setup a lot of networks in my life and even fixed systems where CCTV companies decide to install the IP cameras on the Gigabyte switches causing networks to crawl.
Let's not forget in a modern home you will probably have more data flow than a business with 100 users. Living room running netflix, one kid playing gaming online, 2 kids also on netflix and wife streaming MKR.

Crownleyian
VLAN would be an overkill but to balance the traffic it would be much better if you want to separate you IP cameras from your main network (subnet).
In regards to using IP cameras not sure if you mean 10MB switch? If so that won't work out I can guarantee you that will crumble the cameras. Most IP cameras now us HD at 1080, 720 so unless you put the quality down trust me it will crumble. I've setup a lot of networks in my life and even fixed systems where CCTV companies decide to install the IP cameras on the Gigabyte switches causing networks to crawl.
Let's not forget in a modern home you will probably have more data flow than a business with 100 users. Living room running netflix, one kid playing gaming online, 2 kids also on netflix and wife streaming MKR.

10mb is different to to 10mbps, I think you may be getting confused. A cheap switch would be a 100megabit switch. Once again do you think the user will have that much throughput? Let's keep in mind we are also working with the user’s internet connection. The maximum theoretical throughput a home user can obtain in ideal situations is being on FTTP with 100:100 connection that is also on the proviso that your ISP has a low contention ratio.

Let's do some numbers.

1x 100mbps switch
Very basic switch, seeing as Mojo Homes uses CAT6 you would have to have absolutely no clue to tell someone to buy a 100mbit switch. For all Mojo Home builders that are getting Ethernet installed in their place, you need to buy a gigabit (1000mbit) switch.
Total = 100mbps

3x IP cameras at
Taking some basic specs from Hikvision cameras, I recommend anyone who is looking at cameras look at Hikvision and purchase them from AliExpress. They are the best bang for buck!
- 3mp
- H.264
- 1080P
- 25fps
Total per camera = 8.5mbps
Total = 25.5mbps

Online PC/Console Gaming
1 user playing online games. A common misconception that speed and capacity are the same thing, online gaming you want the lowest latency (of course if you flood the network your latency will be high). But because we are talking about bandwidth here, lets be generous and say the user is using a lot of bandwidth while gaming.
Total = 20mbps

Media Streaming
3x users streaming media, let’s be honest Netflix has the best platform so let’s look at their data. They say a recommended HD quality movie is 5.0mbps and a 4k movie is at 25mbps, let’s take away the 4k stream as their isn’t much content on 4k. Further to the point, most users will be on FTTN or ADSL, so good luck streaming 3 movies on a 4k connection, Netflix will automatically reduce the quality of the movie.
Total per user = 5mbps
Total = 15mbps

This means there is a grand total of 60.5mpbs bandwidth being used. I understand what you are getting at, but we can’t assume all users are even remotely technically inclined, the more elements you add to a network the harder it is to manage.
onggie
Crownleyian

10mb is different to to 10mbps, I think you may be getting confused. A cheap switch would be a 100megabit switch. Once again do you think the user will have that much throughput? Let's keep in mind we are also working with the user’s internet connection. The maximum theoretical throughput a home user can obtain in ideal situations is being on FTTP with 100:100 connection that is also on the proviso that your ISP has a low contention ratio.

Let's do some numbers.

1x 100mbps switch
Very basic switch, seeing as Mojo Homes uses CAT6 you would have to have absolutely no clue to tell someone to buy a 100mbit switch. For all Mojo Home builders that are getting Ethernet installed in their place, you need to buy a gigabit (1000mbit) switch.
Total = 100mbps

3x IP cameras at
Taking some basic specs from Hikvision cameras, I recommend anyone who is looking at cameras look at Hikvision and purchase them from AliExpress. They are the best bang for buck!
- 3mp
- H.264
- 1080P
- 25fps
Total per camera = 8.5mbps
Total = 25.5mbps

Online PC/Console Gaming
1 user playing online games. A common misconception that speed and capacity are the same thing, online gaming you want the lowest latency (of course if you flood the network your latency will be high). But because we are talking about bandwidth here, lets be generous and say the user is using a lot of bandwidth while gaming.
Total = 20mbps

Media Streaming
3x users streaming media, let’s be honest Netflix has the best platform so let’s look at their data. They say a recommended HD quality movie is 5.0mbps and a 4k movie is at 25mbps, let’s take away the 4k stream as their isn’t much content on 4k. Further to the point, most users will be on FTTN or ADSL, so good luck streaming 3 movies on a 4k connection, Netflix will automatically reduce the quality of the movie.
Total per user = 5mbps
Total = 15mbps

This means there is a grand total of 60.5mpbs bandwidth being used. I understand what you are getting at, but we can’t assume all users are even remotely technically inclined, the more elements you add to a network the harder it is to manage.

Yes we know when we lookup a Switch/NIC/etc... it is technically 10/100/1000Mbps but also referred to as even 10/100/1000Mb or even 10/100/1000M, so we move on...

So you are claiming it's the same to have a 100Mbps switch instead of a 1000Mbps switch? And it's the same to transfer a 1Gb file on a 100Mbps switch as it is on a 1000Mbps switch?
Take this into account: 10 Mbps port = 14,800 packets/sec, 100 Mbps port: 148,000 packets/sec, 1000 Mbps port: 1,480,000 packets/sec.
So you still think it is ok to be running on a 100mbps instead of a 1000mbps?

Also just because you're internet speed is 8mbps, 25mbps or even 100mbps doesn't change the speed that your data will flow inside your network either and the bottleneck you are causing having a 10/100Mb switch instead of a 10/100/1000Mb switch.

Best if we let this topic move on and we start our own one
Definitely startup a new thread if you will but I think you have now completly missed my point (as this wasn't 100mbit vs 1000mbit switch discussion) and it still remains that for a home user managed switches are overkill and you shouldn't be recommending users to spend X money when they shouldn't have to.
Hey guys,

There is some great info there, but jeez, get a room.
Can anyone auggest where or how to come.up with a landscape plan?

I need to submit one before they go to council?

Doesnt Mojo do this?!?!?!

My previous builder did it for us. They made a point of telling us that they made it up to meet the guidelines, and that we didnt need to adhere to it.

I would have thought Mojo would know what the council requirements are and would generate a plan to suit.

Its got me thinking what were going to do.......
warwicks2016,

I asked when we are going to council as final docs are done.. then I was replied with we need your landscape plan.. big WTF from me. Apparently at the plan appointment (the one I had back in October!!) I was to be told about needing to get a landscape plan... So now I'm actually delaying my own project if I don't source one promptly....

1) I don't know wether to pay the 600-1K for one.
2) if its just a generic mock up surely there is a way to do it yourself whilst following the guidelines - only due to lead times. rang 3 people all on skeleton staff. all going to take 1-2 weeks.
3) how much info regarding the rain garden does it need to reflect?

Any fellow Kellyville house builders point me in the right direction (landscaper or software)
BlueGum design do them for $395

Www.bluegumdesign.com.au

That's who we will be using I think.
mys013

http://Www.bluegumdesign.com.au

I have used BlueGum Design to reduce risk of any delays from council. They normally get it done within 2 to 3 days.

HomeTweetHome
mys013

http://Www.bluegumdesign.com.au

I have used BlueGum Design to reduce risk of any delays from council. They normally get it done within 2 to 3 days.

So does everyone need a landscaping plan or only some councils require them?
Related
26/11/2023
Mojo Homes site costs

General Discussion

Is anyone building with Mojo and have a recent site cost tender

8/01/2024
Mojo Homes, Enigma 46 - Gables NSW

Building A New House

Hi all, We are considering Enigma 46 from Mojo Homes in Gables, NSW. Has anyone built with Mojo and any pointers and feedback. Also, if anyone has built similar design…

2/04/2024
Any feedback on Mojo builds on sloping sites and in Thornton

Building A New House

Hi, We are looking for a builder that can build a small home (smaller length) on a sloping site. We came across Mojo's Zephyr design 10.6 m wide and 11.5 m length. Does…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum