Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Homestead advantage

Page 1 of 1
Hello,
I am having my first meeting with the builder and have settled on this layout. The Homestead advantage series

http://www.dalealcock.com.au/New-Homes/ ... loor-Plan/

I am considering the following modifications.
(1) Increase minor bedrooms to minimum 12 sqm
(2) Double vanity in the master bathroom
(3) Coffered ceiling in the Theatre
(4) Dropped bulkhead framing the kitchen
(5) 28c in the garage
(6) 31c throughout
(7) Freestanding bath in the bathroom
(8) Stacked oven with microwave recess.
(9) Doors to the home office and home theatre
As a guide the design consideration will be influenced by this website http://www.kidsafewa.com.au/onlinesafetydemohouse.html

Do you have any suggestion of what i should include?
Are you aware of any other designs or builder that has a similar layout?

Regards
Leopard
I never could figure out why so many houses are laid out with the main bedroom so close to the road, the garage and in this case the theatre room as well. It's popular so there must be a good reason.
Don't you just love the way they call a media room that does not even have a door, a 'home theatre' ?

It's a nice media room though.

A theatre room should be a more rectangular shape, than the square'ish shaped rooms that project builder media rooms are (yes, I know that plan does show that it is not completely square).

How serious are you about it being a 'home theatre' ? ... and I don't mean a mega buck theatre room either.

They show the TV/screen on what without the door opening would be opposite the longest wall, which puts the seating around 3 to 3.4 metres away from the TV/screen.

Personally as a HT I'd be putting the TV/screen on the wall opposite the windows i.e. the wall behind the WIR and ensuite.

Best sound in the current plan set up would be 5.1 , and rotating the room as I suggested, you could run 7.1 easily.

Anyway, on this forum there's plenty of discussions on HT topics in the Home Theatre and automation section.

Obviously with kids you are trying to make it as safe as possible for them as per the link you included.

31c, that's 2700mm ceilings isn't it ? with 2400mm in the garage... those 'c' figures confuse me.
RuffTuff
I never could figure out why so many houses are laid out with the main bedroom so close to the road, the garage and in this case the theatre room as well. It's popular so there must be a good reason.

My HT room is right next to the master, but the master is at the back of the house, the HT is at the front. Considering it'll be me using it the most, and middle of the night Grand Prix will be the only time it operating up really later, and I'll be the one watching them anyway.

But you're right though, I can't understand why so many homes have the master bedroom facing the road, although on the tiny blocks like they have at places like Yarrabilba, there's not really much you can do about it.
I have to agree with you. This is the reason I choose this layout. It is a compromise. At least the Master bedroom is not the first thing you see and the wall down the corridor breaks the bowling alley effect.
A lot of people seem to like the master room at the front for security reasons, so they can hear what is going on and get woken up if something suspicious is going on. Not my cup of tea though, my master is right down the back - dont like the street lights, cars, people walking along the foothpath etc keeping me awake!

I put a door on my theatre/mutil-purpose room, that way it can become another bedroom in the future if need be
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum