Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Which tiles to choose?

Page 1 of 1
I am in the process of selecting everything you could imagine when building a new home and this is more first time. I feel like a fish outof water!
I am looking to build the monterey 383 with H3nl3y.

Can anyone please explain the difference between the different category tiles that include ceramic, glazed porcelain, full bodied porcelain and tiles that need to be sealed?

I just want a stong reliable tile that wont crack and chip (and it would be great if the price is good too).

Please any advice would be appreciated because I still have time to change things. Thanks.
I have seen some tiles in the display homes.. there are two types of tile

1) which will be cold even in winter & light in colour..
2) the colour will be dark, warm even in winter & they are more expensive..

I can be wrong bcz i have just started...
Thanks Simpson.

This is prooving to be more difficult then I thought it would be. I might have to google ceramic and porcelain tile to find out the difference. I would hate for them to crack.
I also find that the difference tends to be cosmetic. The porcellain tiles tend to have a much more natural look and will add to the warmth of your house, especially if you plan to tile a large area within your home. If you are aiming for a 'warm' feeling within your home then you should strongly consider the porcellain. Forget about the cost...remember that you will look at these tiles day after day for many years to come.

You can bet that the majority of Henley display homes will use porcellain tiles.
simpson
I have seen some tiles in the display homes.. there are two types of tile

1) which will be cold even in winter & light in colour..
2) the colour will be dark, warm even in winter & they are more expensive..

I can be wrong bcz i have just started...

We have darkish tiles and they were no more expensive then light tiles

It depends on the builder, there are few on here building with Henley so someone should be able to help you out
Thanks guys, if you find out any more please let me know.
Dark tiles can feel 'cold' (or sterile) as well.

I think its more the texture and finish of a tile that gives it its warmth...but this can be a little subjective as well as it gets back down to personal taste.

Probably the best advice I can give here is imagine a hospital or public toilet facilities...if the tiles you are looking at are similar then avoid. ;}
My 2 c:

My understanding is, porcelain ones cracks easily, so tilers will charge more if you do it by yourself after handover (don't worry about this if it's covered by your builder).

Try to pick those with curved edges. We chose ones that wasn't like that, and for places (both walls & floor) where the tiles were not laid porperly (not level), the sharp edges can hurt your feet. We complainted to our builder, they said if it's within a few mm it's within industrial standard and acceptable. But the problem is, it still slightly hurts when you feel it with your bare foot...

Hope this helps!
Porcelain and ceramic are not different kinds of tile. Porcelain is one of a variety of ceramic tiles. It makes no difference. A tile called "porcelain" is not necessarily better, harder, more durable, more scratch resistant or even necessarily more expensive than a ceramic tile; and if you paid more for a tile because it said "porcelain" on the box, you've just been had by a marketing trick that dates back to ancient China.
Whether a tile is called porcelain or ceramic is not actually very important. A porcelain tile and ceramic tile with the same ratings are going to perform exactly the same way. All that actually matters is whether a tile is suitable for the application you intend.
A tile rated for the application you have in mind will work whether the manufacturer chooses to call it porcelain or not. Buy the just grade you need. Don't buy a better grade unless it's on sale. There is no practical difference between ceramic and porcelain tiles.[url]Porcelain and ceramic are not different kinds of tile.
http://www.ciciliotandson.com/
I'm going to preface all this information with a clause of this is what I have been informed at a multitude of tile shops.....

A big difference between cermaic and porcelain - if you drop something on a ceramic tile and it chips it will have the yellowish terracotta colour underneath (same colour as on the bottom side of the tile). That's because the ceramic is just a coating. If you chip porcelian it's the same material all the way through (hence more expensive) - therefore not as noticeable. And from what I've been told they are actually tougher as they are full bodied.

If a porcelain tile is not sealed then it will require sealing every so often otherwise it will absorb stains - just like a granite benchtop that hasn't been sealed.

Glazed porcelain has that glossy shine to it.

I believe the colour of the tile will only feel hotter or colder in relation to it's sun expsure through the windows.

Rectified procelain is when it has those sharp edges as opposed to your typical rounded off edges.

I'm not sure what harmonSmith is going on about.
Related
23/05/2023
Which entry door pull handle to go for?

Building A New House

Black on light wood does look good. Not sure if it will be as long lasting as a steel finish?

7/06/2023
LMI or Saving? - Help, which is better?

General Discussion

brokers will also be in a position to get you a better rate than the advertised rate most times.

29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum