Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Alex's first home build: Keys!!!!

Page 2 of 6
So it turns out I was right, I did need footings along the retaining wall, regardless of the number of times the builder initially said I didn't.

Footings are now in

I am glad that's all sorted now
looking great!
Had a bit of spare time, so I dropped passed the block today and the bricks, window and door frames have been delivered... It's amazing how much the small things are still so exciting

My first home progress: viewtopic.php?t=74975
Congrats on the start of your build Alex. Its looking good and happy to see they have sorted the footings issue. Looks like youve invested some time in your 3D work. Its a helpful tool for visualising the finished home.
It is exciting when things get delivered. I always jump up and down even if its something small!!
So after 10 weeks of waiting for brickies, I go overseas for a week and everything has started. Was a very pleasant surprise to return to. Currently we are about half way through the bricks

Garage and entry

Bedroom 1

Theatre

Side of house

I am concerned with some of the gaps between bricks, will be keeping an eye on these

My first home progress: viewtopic.php?t=74975
They are pretty large gaps aren't they? I would be asking questions about them if I were you!

Good progress though!
Met with the SS this morning, looks like my issues with the brick work will be rectified which is a relief. Roof frame is booked for this week, although he thinks it may push out to next week.

I told him that I was racing against the house next door. Turns out he used to work for the company building next door and is happy to do everything he can to help me win that race. Should be a piece of cake really, considering the speed next door is moving. Their pad went down about the same time as the neighbor on the other side (same builder as mine). In the time it took to get their roof frame up, the house on the other side is at lockup.
alex_6169
Met with the SS this morning, looks like my issues with the brick work will be rectified which is a relief. Roof frame is booked for this week, although he thinks it may push out to next week.

I told him that I was racing against the house next door. Turns out he used to work for the company building next door and is happy to do everything he can to help me win that race. Should be a piece of cake really, considering the speed next door is moving. Their pad went down about the same time as the neighbor on the other side (same builder as mine). In the time it took to get their roof frame up, the house on the other side is at lockup.

Some builders are pretty slow hey. Glad he is going to really push it for you!
Great progress! Glad your brickwork will be fixed, they do look like quite large gaps! That's good that the roof frame is booked in as well, very exciting times
So I sent an email to the client liaison to see when the roof frame will be delivered... Turns out I am now onto my third SS, and back to the original CLO I had (we changed CLO when we had the second SS). I really liked the previous SS and CLO, but I don't rate the one I have gone back to

On the plus side, the roof frame should be delivered and installed next Tuesday. In the long run I guess 2 weeks isn't a huge amount of time to wait for the roof frame, I have heard of much longer waits.
alex_6169
So I sent an email to the client liaison to see when the roof frame will be delivered... Turns out I am now onto my third SS, and back to the original CLO I had (we changed CLO when we had the second SS). I really liked the previous SS and CLO, but I don't rate the one I have gone back to

On the plus side, the roof frame should be delivered and installed next Tuesday. In the long run I guess 2 weeks isn't a huge amount of time to wait for the roof frame, I have heard of much longer waits.

2 weeks is not bad - I had 3 so that's pretty good still.

Too bad about the change in SS and CLO - did they say why it keeps changing?
It's been a little while since I posted an update, mainly because my phone was broken so I wasn't able to get any decent photos, but also because a lot happens, but the visual changes aren't overly exciting.

As you can see below, the roof frame is on, and the plumbing, electrical and guttering has been completed. The Colourbond sheets are there ready to go on (hopefully today).

When I spoke to the 3rd SS he mentioned that the roof frame guys were coming from another house within spitting distance to my place, and it seems the other trades have followed. It's convenient having another house that I can peg my progress against. In the last week they have had render, plaster float and glazing completed, with the ceiling ready to be installed. Considering they are approx 1 week ahead of me, things are going really quickly.

The house next door that I am racing against has roof tiles, but nothing else has happened to it. I really feel for whoever is building there!

Hopefully I will be able to update with roof photos in the next few days!
Looking really good
So the roofing guys were in over the weekend. Starting to take shape.

Awesome man! Lock up will roll around in no time!
The place that is running about 1 week ahead of me had external render, plaster float and glazing finished last week. Unless I am mistaken they only have ceilings, plaster set and entry doors until they are at lock up... At the speed its going, I would estimate 2-3 weeks until I am there.
Time seems to fly when you aren't in the state to check on progress every day! I have been working over in Sydney for a couple of weeks on and off, and we are nearly at lockup, which means from the laying of the first brick to lockup took approx 60 days, which I am pretty happy about.

A couple of photos below of the plaster float stage. The ceilings were half completed when I was on the way to the airport on Sunday and according to the CLO the white plaster set should be done this week with lockup "mid to end of next week".

Theatre

Master Bedroom (from Ensuite/Robes)

Walk in robes and entrance to ensuite

Bed 3

Activity Area (from Bed 3)

Open Plan Living (From Activity)

Open Plan Living (Theatre entrance on right, Activity on left)
Looking great! Looks like the build is flying along. Must be exciting seeing it all come together
Related
19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum