Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Gyprock hole in bathroom-will it be an issue?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Once again, i need your all kind advice on the following.

Recently the gyprock has been completed at our place and I have noticed big large hole in the bathroom corner. I can see some black pipe protruding out and it seems because of that the gyprock has not been done in that corner.

This corner is where our bath tub will go in. Please see the pictures

My question is:

1. Is this something that must be fixed?
2. What problems can we have in the future if this hole is not repaired and the builders put the bath tub in that corner?
3. What if they just don't fix it?

Once the bath tub comes in, there is no way of knowing if that hole was fixed or not.

Please advice.
I don't know, and am mostly replying in case it prompts someone who DOES know to comment ... but when they sealed our bathroom they sealed some way up the wall all the way 'round (ie. even behind where the bath was going to go). It seems to me that with a hole in the gyprock like that, it's not possible to seal it. I'd look into sealing requirements before asking them to fix it, it'd be good to know whether the whole room does need to be sealed fully (it's possible they do it because it's easier than working-out exactly where the shower will go).
Is it a free standing or hob mounted bath?
Forg
I don't know, and am mostly replying in case it prompts someone who DOES know to comment ... but when they sealed our bathroom they sealed some way up the wall all the way 'round (ie. even behind where the bath was going to go). It seems to me that with a hole in the gyprock like that, it's not possible to seal it. I'd look into sealing requirements before asking them to fix it, it'd be good to know whether the whole room does need to be sealed fully (it's possible they do it because it's easier than working-out exactly where the shower will go).

Thanks Forg...I do not know anything about the sealing requirements. I will have to ask my builder.
mgilla
Is it a free standing or hob mounted bath?

Thanks for the reply mgilla.

It's not free standing so it must be hob mounted bath. I googled 'hob mounted' and I am sure that is what we will have.(First build so I am new to all these terms.)
In that case, it is inside the hob and the waterproofing goes over the hob, therefore it will not impact that. However, it should be tidied up regardless. Any idea what that pipe is?
Yes thats right the bath hob will built in the corner and the pipe will be inside and under the bath.
The plumber would have known this and simply ran the pipe as he's done so it didnt have to be cut into the wall.
dragonchild
In that case, it is inside the hob and the waterproofing goes over the hob, therefore it will not impact that. However, it should be tidied up regardless. Any idea what that pipe is?

Thanks for the reply dragonchild. I think the pipe is the drain for the bath tub.
mgilla
Yes thats right the bath hob will built in the corner and the pipe will be inside and under the bath.
The plumber would have known this and simply ran the pipe as he's done so it didnt have to be cut into the wall.

Thanks mgilla...now I am feeling assured. First time build makes you really anxious about little things but everyone here is so helpful... I am so glad I found this forum
So it looks like there is a water line running along the wall behind the hole , possibly coming from the mixer to go to the outlet in future but it's a bit hard to tell from the pics ( I don't see an outlet in any just the mixer body itself ) so I'm guessing it's that ,
If it is hob mounted they still need to frame it up ready to sit the bath into it , usually done by the lock up carpenter , most of the time there wouldn't be any plaster / gyprock in the area that is to be framed for the bath so I wouldn't be overly concerned , you can always ask for it to be patched up if it bothers you though , probably best to check nothing needs to be run through there or has been if it needs to be before hand though

Related
24/05/2023
Removing gyprock from besser block wall

Kitchen Splashbacks

Thanks again, appreciate the advice

19/09/2023
Gyprock before Brickwork

Building A New House

Yes windows and doors are in

27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum