Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes general build thread

Page 578 of 579
Hi all, has anyone had their entire house cladded to get that 'country' look and how much roughly? Thanks!
Hi Katie_11,

We have chosen cladding to the front of the house, not all the way round, and the cost is $2000. Hope that helps a little
"z
catchganu
amyelizabeth137
catchganu
Another one I noticed in design is ...it's states Porch SLAB poured part of Driveway ? Is that normal...

I thought like outdoor alfresco the slab will be part of Main slab.

Is that normal to exclude porch from main slab.

Please suggest

You would want your porch area to look the same as your driveway wouldn't you? Imagine have a plain concrete porch and then an exposed aggregate drive.

Good point. But in one of my friends home built by Coral- the porch after few years have gone down by few mm, as it was not poured as part of Main slab. Looks bit odd.

Got response from Coral, stating due to termite barrier protection and few issues, they no longer offer porch slab as part of Main. It's only included as part of Driveway now

We are new to this site and found the discussions to be invaluable. Thank you!
We are about to sign our building contract with Coral Homes to build the San Marino 23 on the NSW Central Coast. We had planned on deleting the driveway and arranging our own contractor but now realise that this also deletes the front porch. Just not sure what to do now. Does anyone have any idea of the cost of arranging with a private concreter to do the driveway (to double garage), path and porch in coloured concrete? Also, are there other pitfalls we should be aware of with this?
Hi all, Thinking about building the Noosaville 27 and am currently waiting for a quote. How much over the "turn key"" price did your build end up? We are thinking we will definitely add ducted air conditioning, will have to include septic system, fly screens and ceiling fans. I am also thinking a caesarstone bench for the kitchen. I am learning a lot reading your posts so thanks everyone!
We had Coral do the rear patio slab as part of the main slab as we thought that would give a better finish (and it did). We did the front patio and driveway ourselves, used Corals concreter and saved around $4K. He knew exactly what was required to be done as far as termite barrier etc.

Only slight negative is that these works cannot be completed until after handover (but this is dependant on your site supervisor, so not always the case). Positive is that you can get other concreting works done at the same time, ie: paths.

Suggest you get all of these items included in your quote from Coral so you can compare the cost and then take out what you want done yourself.
Tess840
Hi all, Thinking about building the Noosaville 27 and am currently waiting for a quote. How much over the "turn key"" price did your build end up? We are thinking we will definitely add ducted air conditioning, will have to include septic system, fly screens and ceiling fans. I am also thinking a caesarstone bench for the kitchen. I am learning a lot reading your posts so thanks everyone!

Hi Tess,

We built the Daydream 28 (in 2017). Starting price was $209k (before site and basix). Our contract price came in at $270k, plus we spent around $7k additional in colour selections (tiling and carpet upgrades on top the flooring package we paid for as we selected items outside of the 'builders range')

We done our ducted a/c and all concrete (driveway/alfresco) after handover so this was another $20k on top.

We made some big changes to our original floor plan though, and upgraded a few things along the way (waterfall edges and stone benches throughout, under mount sink, concealed rangehood, gloss cabinetry throughout, extended ensuite vanity, double shower heads in ensuite, extended the ensuitre by 2m etc.)

I hope this helps 😊
We just got John Bayley as our SS. Has anyone else had him here?

Hey guys - looking to build the Baltimore 38 (modified design as per the display up here on Rochedale QLD). We went very thorough with our quote have ended up adding almost a $100k more on top of their elegance upgrades (gulp). Had a great sales rep though who is open and transparent as possible. Anyone else building or built the Baltimore? Anything to keep in mind? We’re still in the pre tender stage and waiting to get the contract so we can get it valued along with the land contract one time.
nujee
Hey guys - looking to build the Baltimore 38 (modified design as per the display up here on Rochedale QLD). We went very thorough with our quote have ended up adding almost a $100k more on top of their elegance upgrades (gulp). Had a great sales rep though who is open and transparent as possible. Anyone else building or built the Baltimore? Anything to keep in mind? We’re still in the pre tender stage and waiting to get the contract so we can get it valued along with the land contract one time.

Hey Nujee, I am not building the Baltimore however if you don't get any responses on the Homeone
forum as its been very quiet as of late there is a Facebook group called 'People building with Coral Homes Aus Wide' if you arent already a member. I'd suggest to join it's a great resource.
Hey Nujee, I am not building the Baltimore however if you don't get any responses on the Homeone
forum as its been very quiet as of late there is a Facebook group called 'People building with Coral Homes Aus Wide' if you arent already a member. I'd suggest to join it's a great resource.[/quote]

Ok good to know thanks!
Would Coral homes be considered a large volume based builder

We selected the Baronese 274 as our new home back in 2009. It suited us beautifully ... dealing with the sales people was great, getting all the paperwork was easy ... all the boxes were ticked and all looked good. Then the building began ... and that's where problems started to arise. Lots of little things, but if we hadn't been there to nip them in the bud, we wouldn't have the house we wanted. Now, after 10 years, we are seeing MORE problems that have remained hidden. Cracks in cornices and down walls, ceilings pulling away from the joists, cracks in brickwork, nails holding porch ceiling dropping out and sheets separating. The company must have hired the cheapest "tradies" they could to get the work done fast and over with. After 10 years, we are having to get plasterers in to secure ceilings in 4 bedrooms, garage, sunroom and family room. They will need to install expansion strips in two locations in hallways. A lot of the minor 'repairs' we have carried out... too many to mention here. One of the worst problems occurred soon after we moved in. We had a heavy rainstorm and we noticed water pouring from a hole in the backfilled section leading to the water tanks. Someone had driven a stake through the water pipe, not once but twice. The water undermined the house to some extent, how bad we won't ever know, unless the place breaks in half. These are just a FEW of the plaster problems ... I have managed to fill many in preparation to getting the rest done and the house painted again.

Coral Homes may be a great company to deal with, but you just have to be lucky with whom they get to build your home!!!

We selected the Baronese 274 as our new home back in 2009. It suited us beautifully ... dealing with the sales people was great, getting all the paperwork was easy ... all the boxes were ticked and all looked good. Then the building began ... and that's where problems started to arise. Lots of little things, but if we hadn't been there to nip them in the bud, we wouldn't have the house we wanted. Now, after 10 years, we are seeing MORE problems that have remained hidden. Cracks in cornices and down walls, ceilings pulling away from the joists, cracks in brickwork, nails holding porch ceiling dropping out and sheets separating. The company must have hired the cheapest "tradies" they could to get the work done fast and over with. After 10 years, we are having to get plasterers in to secure ceilings in 4 bedrooms, garage, sunroom and family room. They will need to install expansion strips in two locations in hallways. A lot of the minor 'repairs' we have carried out... too many to mention here. One of the worst problems occurred soon after we moved in. We had a heavy rainstorm and we noticed water pouring from a hole in the backfilled section leading to the water tanks. Someone had driven a stake through the water pipe, not once but twice. The water undermined the house to some extent, how bad we won't ever know, unless the place breaks in half. These are just a FEW of the plaster problems ... I have managed to fill many in preparation to getting the rest done and the house painted again.

Coral Homes may be a great company to deal with, but you just have to be lucky with whom they get to build your home!!!

jayandkelly
Hi everyone!

Needing some advice please- we've been given the news we are the dreaded E class soil (conventional mono) as well as P due to trees

Can anyone give us an idea of how much we are looking at for site costs please if anyone has had similar?

Thank you

How did you guys go with this? We're also looking to build in lockyer valley with Coral for the first time.

Jess
Question about handover inspection. I was looking at booking someone, however Coral advises they have their own outside party that will do it which is KSPEC.

I've seen great reviews about KSPEC, but I am not sure if I should get another one on top (out of pocket) on the off chance that maybe KSPEC and Coral are on good terms now and they aren't as picky on some of the smaller faults that they might notice.
I would definitely get ur inspector because mine picked up things that coulr have had major issues down the line.

They tried to discourage me also but it ended up saving me heaps.
61ang
Question about handover inspection. I was looking at booking someone, however Coral advises they have their own outside party that will do it which is KSPEC.

I've seen great reviews about KSPEC, but I am not sure if I should get another one on top (out of pocket) on the off chance that maybe KSPEC and Coral are on good terms now and they aren't as picky on some of the smaller faults that they might notice.
KSpec work closely with Coral particularly supporting them at NCAT. If I were selecting an inspector on that basis I wouldn’t go with KSPEC.

MrsJM
61ang

KSpec work closely with Coral particularly supporting them at NCAT. If I were selecting an inspector on that basis I wouldn’t go with KSPEC.

This was what I was afraid of. I wouldn't be selecting KSPEC, Coral are already having KSPEC come through as part of the contract (must be a new thing because this didn't happen last time I built with them).

My question is if it's worth getting another inspector on top of KSPEC that I pay out of pocket.
61ang
MrsJM
61ang

This was what I was afraid of. I wouldn't be selecting KSPEC, Coral are already having KSPEC come through as part of the contract (must be a new thing because this didn't happen last time I built with them).

My question is if it's worth getting another inspector on top of KSPEC that I pay out of pocket.
Absolutely. You need someone there acting for you

Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum