Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

List the issues/defects you found while building

Page 1 of 1
List the issues/defects you found while building Help others identify when they find a potential issue with their home build.

Not everyone can/does get an independent building inspector so I thought a thread full of defects and issues others have found could help those to find an issue before it becomes something worse.

Post a description and or picture to help people out with identification.
Good idea. I'm not at that point yet but this type of thread would be very useful I'm sure.
How long's a piece of string.

You can only keep your eye on things and hope for the best ...

One way to spot the problems/issues/things wrong - ask the in-laws to come over and have a look ...
Saint Mike
One way to spot the problems/issues/things wrong - ask the in-laws to come over and have a look ...

Ha!!

Also check bashworth's site where he has a PCI checklist for only $4! www.anewhouse.com.au
Great idea - will be following this one!
Perhaps we can get a sticky?

My advice so far is to keep on top of the builder even in the admin stages. I double checked with our shire that all was ok with our application only to find out that a critical part of it hadn't been submitted by the builder! 3 weeks unecessary delay straight off!
Whilst building:
Stacking doors going the wrong way (two of the doors were swapped) - fixed after we told SS
Insulation for the HT was the wrong type - picked up and rectified (but not clarified by us) by SS
Wrong kitchen sink installed - fixed after we told SS
Missing outdoor tap - fixed after we told SS
Wrong toilet suites - SS picked up before we did and didn't install it till he got the right one
Microwave installed is a better than spec'd one - we haven't told our SS yet

My SS tends to call to confirm things beforehand which I appreciate. It does stop the potential for needing to fix things later. I think having a good / stickler for quality SS is very important.
Related
2/04/2024
Defects/Items found after final inspection

Building A New House

The significant date is when receive final payment invoice Check that section of contract Bit of fluff by builders prior to that

18/01/2024
Would you consider these issues as defects

General Discussion

Hi It came to my attention after the handover that - The facade cladding on the face and the side are not straight. -The face tapers down by 50mm from left to right and…

19/11/2023
Help Please? Building, bathroom potential defects & no HBCF

General Discussion

All 3 items listed are defects and are of concern. Please seek qualified independent inspector and/or legal advice for your state.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum