Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Meter box on outside of main bedroom wall -leave it or move?

Page 3 of 3
Bit expensive. I paid ~$250 for my sub board.

Will depend on how much you want it i guess.
$155 for sub mains cable is a rip if it is back to back.
Thought so.
You always pay 100 times the cost if doing via builder.
I guess I'll do afterwards if I need it
Speaking to my sparky today, and he was telling me a story about someone that just moved in to their new home.

The sparky was called in to install extra powerpoints for a/c units in a few different rooms.

Upon doing a check of everything, it was discovered the mains cabling coming in was only 4mm cable, so it was impossible to add anything more to the house until the incoming cabling was upgraded to something a lot more substantial.

My sparky asked the home owner what he did to p!ss off the builder's sparky, as he explained why so much had to be done. I think he said the quote would worked out at around $12K, and even then the trenches would have to already dug, as he had two options, 1/. dig up the new pebblecrete driveway, as the power ran underneath it, or 2/. run straight up to house, then through the roof to get to the circuit board.

So it really pays not to p!ss off your builder or his sparky !
Is it not possible to use the existing conduit under the driveway to feed a new cable ?

Sydney-build
Is it not possible to use the existing conduit under the driveway to feed a new cable ?

Not possible, as I think he said it was only 25mm conduit used, so the lot has to be dug up and replaced.

My sparky asked him why he didn't get the builder's sparky to do it, and the response back was along the lines of the prices to be charged were a rip off.

There's no doubt more to this story.
I think its not a concern, and to be honest if you have powerpoints on the wall that the bed is up against your are going to have cabling running up the studs etc anyways, which is still close to your bed either way!, plus all the other cabling in the walls,you are going to be surrounded by electricity IMO in other ways such as bed side lamps, ovens, fridges, pedant lights over benches and the list continues
It's not just the electricity, but smart meters with their RF transmissions is the claimed health issues.
Related
21/02/2024
Meter box placed in Facade

Building A New House

Excellent contribution.

2/05/2023
gas line re-purposed to water main?

Building A New House

thanks Simeon appreciate your input.

7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House