Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Some add ons, but is the builder taking the p*ss?

Page 1 of 1
So I've chosen our plan and asked the builder for some add ons, (as per suggestions in the 'things you'd wished you'd remembered thread') but the buillder has come back with some ridiculous costs!

Please tell me if this is standard - am I better of doing these things after build now?

1. Tiling the main bedroom and lounge $4,680 (This works out at roughly $100 square meter to lay them!)
2. Double roller blinds (blockout and sunshade) $5,500 (already has singles, so adding a sunshade bline is $650 a window!)
3. 1 Extra power point in each bedroom and bathroom and on Island bench in Kitchen, garage and laundry, 2 extra power points in Walk in pantry and living room. Antenna and data points in all bedrooms.
Power points, Antenna and Data points are $132 each gst inclusive
4. No Spa bath, but instead a deeper bath in bathroom
Coroma shark bath 1675x770x400mm $450.00 (original bath supplied was $1800, new bath is $450 - should I bet getting a credit here)
5. Additional waterfall shower head in main bathroom - such as the Grohe - 27491B - Euphoria Cosmopolitan Overhead Shower
$395 (only $100 on supplier site)
6. Vanities that go to the floor in all bathrooms
900mm+kick $720.00
750mm+kick $590.00
7. Colourbond fencing
We don’t get involved with colour bond fencing as in the past coordinating a colour with fellow neighbours is just too hard.
We are however happy to credit the client for the ½ fence boundary cost as per building contract.
8. Ceiling fans in bedrooms
Ceiling fans are priced at $396 each gst inclusive
9. Upgrade the bath spout to something like this - http://www.renovatorstore.com.au/sympho ... oC-xvw_wcB
Red SP-8005R Waterfall Spout Chrome $220
apageintime
So I've chosen our plan and asked the builder for some add ons, (as per suggestions in the 'things you'd wished you'd remembered thread') but the buillder has come back with some ridiculous costs!

Please tell me if this is standard - am I better of doing these things after build now?

1. Tiling the main bedroom and lounge $4,680 (This works out at roughly $100 square meter to lay them!)
2. Double roller blinds (blockout and sunshade) $5,500 (already has singles, so adding a sunshade bline is $650 a window!)
3. 1 Extra power point in each bedroom and bathroom and on Island bench in Kitchen, garage and laundry, 2 extra power points in Walk in pantry and living room. Antenna and data points in all bedrooms.
Coroma shark bath 1675x770x400mm $450.00 (original bath supplied was $1800, new bath is $450 - should I bet getting a credit here)
5. Additional waterfall shower head in main bathroom - such as the Grohe - 27491B - Euphoria Cosmopolitan Overhead Shower
900mm+kick $720.00
750mm+kick $590.00
7. Colourbond fencing
We don’t get involved with colour bond fencing as in the past coordinating a colour with fellow neighbours is just too hard.
We are however happy to credit the client for the ½ fence boundary cost as per building contract.
9. Upgrade the bath spout to something like this - http://www.renovatorstore.com.au/sympho ... oC-xvw_wcB

Those do seem exessive, but im from Brisbane.. if it was me this is what i would do:

1. Tiling the main bedroom and lounge
this should be about $44 per m2 for normal to lay or $65 per m2 for rectified to lay plus cost of actual tiles them selves.. if its $100 per m2 to lay only then i would do myself after handover

To do a normal house its about $2500 for single roller blinds, so i would ask for a credit back and then do the double blinds your self, give your plan to a blind company and get them to quote first to be sure... but you should be able to get block out and sun filtered roller blinds for $5,500 for entire house

These should be about $88 ea or $66 if you get eletritian to do direct during build, after build direct your looking about $88ea so this i would do after build unless some are deemed must haves straight away

Yes you should be getting a credit back, plus if original was a spa new one is cheaper to install and plumb, perhaps use the credit to offset one of your other items since you already budgeted for it.

If this is just a shower head direct replacement do it after, they just unscrew then you put new plumber tape over and screw on the new head. So do it after and keep the head you got as spare

900mm+kick $720.00
750mm+kick $590.00

No idea, prob best to accept that if its what you want.

7. Colourbond fencing

Ask for credit and do yourself you can if you install your self do colourbond for about $80 per m so if 1/2 cost would work out for you $40 per m

No idea, prob best to check with a electritian incase fan's are different to lights.

as per shower head...
IMHO, the general answer to your "am I better of doing these things after build" question is "yes".

I'm not sure the tiling, for example, is that overpriced if you consider $100/sqm to be 120% of RRP (so $83/sqm). The tilers who did our house worked pretty hard & were there for about 3 weeks (between 3 & 6 people at a time, 6 days a week).

They're making extra money out of you; but probably not as much as you think, the pricing & ordering & checking & paperwork etc involved in individual changes isn't insignificant compared to the markup on a $100 tap fitting. From that point of view, the pricing does effectively discourage you from making changes.

Looking at our tender, none of the prices you've paid are any different to what we paid ... eg. we've paid nearly $800 for a complete Grohe Bau Cosmopolitan shower-set (the hand-shower which can also mount on the slidey-bar and also the rain-shower head thingy). I can't remember exactly our power points but I'm fairly sure they were around the $100 mark apiece.

Basically have a look at what can be done afterwards; and how much mess it might make. For example, power points are doable; but I don't know how much it'll really cost if they're in one of the external walls which is packed with insulation. Downlights for downstairs in a 2-storey house are another example, of course an electrician can do anything but it'd have to be a lot more work once all the ceiling gyprock & upstairs flooring is in.
Suspct covered them all nicely, but two cents on some items:

1) Expensive even with tiles included. At that cost it would want to be rectified porcelain, if its standard ceramic then get it done after build.
2) Do after build.
3) $132 for a TV point is OK, Clipsal wanted to charge me +$100 on that for a TV point, but for power points it is expensive. I paid $60 per additional double point in my place.
4) You should get a credit, possibly. Or it should break even. Is there more tiling required for this deeper bath or some other structural change? If so, then that's probably where the money is going.
5) Depends on what you had previously. The Grohe is a rail shower. If you had a standard wall-outlet then the extra price is understandable. Rail showers take a bit more to install, and if the rail does not have a built in diverter then new taps are needed with a diverter built in. I paid almost $900 for my Methven Escape double shower rail - expensive, but i believed it was worth it.
6) No idea what was originally included so i can't comment on price. Not too bad though.
7) Do fences after build, cheaper.
A little expensive, but not bad. I paid the same amount for my Typhoon stainless steel outdoor rated fan (requirement for 6 star energy rating...)
9) Tapware can be expensive, $220 is ok, but i don't know what originally was going in so cant comment.
Related
28/09/2023
If a Builder is taking deposits and not getting DBI how can

General Discussion

Thanks. I called VBA today and they said it was a Consumer Affairs issue, the old handball. Seems like the government organisations don't want to do their job at the moment.

20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum