Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building inspector in SA

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We are about to begin construction on our land soon and would like to get an independent building inspector since we have no technical knowledge in building.

Does anyone have any recommendation ? Or had bad experience so we can avoid using them?

How many times do we need to get them on site to do inspection through the whole building process?

Thanks in advance.
We used this company, all good.

http://www.betterhomeinspections.com/
Hi kank,

Always ask what the individual inspector has as his/her list of disclaimers. Many do not get on the roof or inside the roof and so limit what they can comment on. Also make sure they look at all roof plumbing I suggest.

Leonardo_23
Leonardo_23
Also make sure they look at all roof plumbing I suggest.

Good advice!

Roof plumbing on numerous new homes is not compliant but you need someone who knows and understands the Standards AND good design to examine the plans prior to building.

Non compliance with AS2200 is also common and the Standard is mathematically incorrect anyway.

Some issues were touched on in the thread linked below.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=62496

kank...when you ask for a tradie recommendation, it is a good idea to state where you are building.
Hi,
We are using Chris Short from Blue Chip Building Consultants. We were recommended them by friends. They sent us a list of when they suggest to have the inspections done, and it's up to you to say yes or no (although some they say are critical, others optional)
Firstly, inspection of slab
Then wall/roof frame
Then bricking, roof cladding & first fix plumbing/electrical
Then 2nd fix cabinets whilst tiling is underway
Lastly at handover.

We have only had our slab poured so far, so we have only had the first inspection. We have booked him for all their recommended inspections because we are not in the industry & wouldn't know if the builder had stuffed up or not. So far he has been very easy to deal with, and we are happy with his first report.
Charlston01
Hi,
We are using Chris Short from Blue Chip Building Consultants. We were recommended them by friends. They sent us a list of when they suggest to have the inspections done, and it's up to you to say yes or no (although some they say are critical, others optional)
Firstly, inspection of slab
Then wall/roof frame
Then bricking, roof cladding & first fix plumbing/electrical
Then 2nd fix cabinets whilst tiling is underway
Lastly at handover.

We have only had our slab poured so far, so we have only had the first inspection. We have booked him for all their recommended inspections because we are not in the industry & wouldn't know if the builder had stuffed up or not. So far he has been very easy to deal with, and we are happy with his first report.

Thanks Charlston01,

We've contacted Chris for a quote of the building inspection. Unfortunately as we are building using steel frame, there is nearly a 100% extra in cost for all inspections. Which makes it quite expensive and more than what we are hoping to pay.

It is a bit weird how steel cost double to inspect. maybe due to its extra complexity.
SaveH2O
Leonardo_23
Also make sure they look at all roof plumbing I suggest.

Good advice!

Roof plumbing on numerous new homes is not compliant but you need someone who knows and understands the Standards AND good design to examine the plans prior to building.

Non compliance with AS2200 is also common and the Standard is mathematically incorrect anyway.

Some issues were touched on in the thread linked below.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=62496

kank...when you ask for a tradie recommendation, it is a good idea to state where you are building.

We are building in Windsor Gardens area.
Wow! That's a huge increase! I knew it was more expensive for steel frame, but I had no idea it was that much. Good luck finding someone. I guess you could always reduce the number of inspections to 3-4 if you can't find a much cheaper option.
Related
9/02/2024
My Building inspector v My builder's inspector

General Discussion

I would send it to the certifier who is technically your representative and working on your behalf not the builder's

23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations - Melbourne

Building A New House

I do enjoy the drama:-D In his latest two videos he has started bringing security guards to site, I am waiting for the punch on to begin lol

15/02/2024
Building Inspector recommendation in South Australia?

Building A New House

Adam Baines Grad Cert Bldg Surv / Grad Dip Bldg Surv / MSAAPA Accredited Building Professional APB20210035 Builders Lic 183023 Pest Control Lic 84868 Ph 0412202336 PO…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum