Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

The house that Jack built!

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys First post, great forum from what Ive seen.

Intro
Basically about to embark on the crazy journey of building/owning my first house. Im 24 years old and doing it alone with the help of my awesome dad.

Ive found land I like for 230k. I made an offer 207.5k and waiting to hear back. I suspect I will need to go closer to list price. Banks have approved me for land finance, which I am ready to sign for but want to put a 90 day condition, subject to design approvals/further finance.

My budget is under 400k but luckily for me my dads a builder. Im a civil engineer so I should also be able to pitch in with the earthworks and drainage etc.

The Land
I have offered on lot 93/94 either or. They are nice size lots on a 1/10 slope approx. The building area is limited however due to a covenant because it backs onto a reserve.

My puppy sniffing it out

The Design
I havent yet decided on a design. I am hopeless at floor layouts and I was hoping you guys could help me before I go to an architect or else I will be going back and forth with variations.
Basically the house will be a double storey steel frame stilt home so it will look like a bit of a box. I havent even decided on the measurements yet but I think it will be around 15m Long x 13m wide.

This is the stage im up to. I cant be given the construction loan until I have finalised the design and the subsequent construction contract with my dad.

Below is what I have come up as the basic idea of what I want to do. As far as room arrangement goes, Im a bit lost. The views are nice so I want most rooms and bathrooms to have windows. I also love the idea of a open kitchen and living area opening up onto a balcony with a view - great for entertaining.

bedrooms maybe 4+study.
Bathrooms no more than 2 to keep costs down.
Laundry downstairs next to garage or even in garage. Single garage port is fine.

Because Im so new to this im looking for all the input I can get!! so please pitch in where you can and it will be appreciated.
Related
29/07/2023
House possibly built on spring (1960's home)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We purchased a 1960s property that is on timber stumps mostly, and a newer section is on concrete stumps. We had a building inspection initially and they reported some…

9/08/2023
Built-in Shelving

General Discussion

Strong enough for what? For linen, absolutely. To climb on, no. I've got similar shelving in my garage and it holds a decent amount of weight. 900 wide shelves will carry…

11/09/2023
Built-in wardrobe: MDF?

Building A New House

Probably a not bad thing to mention particle board should in case anyone else reading this got the two confused.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum