Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

250k for a new house is Sydney do-able?

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

Just wanted to get an opinion in relation to building a brand new house in sydney (the ponds) single story around 30 squares.

Is it possible to build in a budget of around 250k with good inclusions with a project builder? Or will it work out cheaper going through a custom builder?

All advice greatly appreciated
I'd say 30squares at $250k would be fantastic deal if you could find it - just expect a very basic level of inclusions and hope that your block is perfect for building on.

I'd be more inclined to budget for around $300k.
Thanks for that Robbie, however, do you think a custom builder would do better than a project builder? Im just worried that project builders have a massive mark up.
It won't work out cheaper going with a custom builder!
Damn, I haven't built before so im doing an old vs new assessment. I thought that custom builders would work around your budget and would not heavily mark up prices?
bashworth
It won't work out cheaper going with a custom builder!

Not if they're going to hand over a finished product.
You could do an owner/builder thing and live in something half-finished while you complete it yourself, couldn't you? But you'd have to be willing to live in an unfinished house for years, and do all that finishing-up. I don't know what the laws are these days, either; the house my cousins lived-in in the 80's (while my uncle was building it) wasn't initially complete enough to get what I understand of a current occupation certificate.
v_power
Damn, I haven't built before so im doing an old vs new assessment. I thought that custom builders would work around your budget and would not heavily mark up prices?

Custom builders can't get the discounts of Project Builders.

Working around a budget involves design which adds to the cost. . . .Unless working around a budget is to go smaller, or ditch the inclusions.
Thanks guys for your input, it really does assist.
Related
5/11/2023
Building a 39 square house in Schofields Sydney

General Discussion

No idea about the driveway question, but your price for a house that size including landscaping seems very good!

7/03/2024
Sydney Water Board Sewer across House

Building A New House

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry I misunderstood your point

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum