Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Jandson Homes

Page 1 of 1
We are building a dual Occupancy out in the Sutherland shire. The process thus far has been both educational at times, frustrating, rewarding, but for the most part long, arduous, drawn out, draining.

We are so far heading towards 4 years since we embarked on this build and employed our town planner and still not a sod of soil has been turned. The builder we have chosen is Jandson Homes and so far they have been very good. Their staff have really put in a great effort up to this point.

After 3 and a bit years we finally submitted our DA into council in August 2013 and got it approved January 2014. We then submitted a section 96 at the beginning of May and so far still waiting for a result.

I'm hoping to update you all with a blog and while I know there are going to be times when we have issues I hope to be fair with our criticism if that should occur but equally as honest about how Jandson Homes perform.
At last, today they start the build. We are expecting a number of truck loads of soil to be dumped. The site has to be raised from 2.3 to 3.1 and yeah who knew you could get so excited about dirt.
Hi gcambo! I'll be following your build. We're also in contract with Jandson for our first home build. Hope everything goes well for you. Best of luck.
Thanks Skyler and good luck with your build as well. Up to this point Jandson Homes have been very helpful really easy to deal with.
Well that's done. Checkk out how high the slab has to go. http://home.iprimus.com.au/gcambo/slab.jpg
This is were we are as of 10/02/15
Excavation started on 06/11/14
Peering on the 18/11/14
Waffle slab prep 21/11/14
Slab pour on the 03/12/14
Plumbing 12/12/14
Frames arrived on the 16/12/14
Erection of frames walls only 18/12/14
Then because of the brackets for roof trusses not being on site nothing happened for almost six weeks over the Christmas/summer break.
Roof trusses and windows go in on the rest of the frame 30/01/15.
It's now 10/02/15 and from what I can tell nothing much has happened since the 30th of Jan except some solution has been sprayed onto the windows.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/gcambo/Collage.pdf
I understand there is a bricky shortage at the moment so that most likely is the reason for the slow going but over all no complaints about Jandson Homes.
looking good. what home design are you building? why is your slab that high? thanks
The home under construction now is the Esprit, although it has been modified a fair bit to accommodate the council requirements on the width. The slab height is ridiculous, we know, but again council call the shots and that's the height based on a 1 in 100 year flood zoning.
Well I'd love to say that things are going great but we are starting to get a little concerned at the slow going. Completion date is April 30th and so far not much has happened since my last post.
Our understanding was things were going to start this week but there has been a few minor issues that seem to be holding things up. Obviously Jandson are doing their best to sort things out and as I said before there is a shortage of brick layers at the moment so we just have to be patient.
We have been told now that the bricks start on the 2nd of March and that should take a week and then hopefully the roof goes on the week after that. It's slow going in comparison to other homes of similar size that are being built in the area, but I understand why the hold up but I expect we will see a lot getting done within the next few weeks.
hi there! how's your build going?
Yeah all is going good skyler. Brickies finished last week, they said it would take a week but ended up being two weeks. We are pretty happy with their job.

This week, scaffold has gone up for the facia, gutters and then the roof to follow by the end of the week hopefully. Over all we are happy with Jandson homes, if I had to be picky, it is slow going but to be fair brickies are hard to get at the moment and it only takes one chink in the chain and then you have to wait in line for them to turn up.

I don't think we have been to bad with our inquiries, my only real concern was the frames, we have had a lot of rain and the slab has been covered in water on and off since December.

But again I'm happy with the explanation and it shouldn't effect the over all structure long term. We are requesting a change that should give us more wardrobe space, rather than enter the main bedroom via a small hallway, we want to close that hallway up and enter the main via the living room. That small hallway was also the entrance to bedroom two but we are asking to mirror reverse that layout. http://home.iprimus.com.au/gcambo/rear%20dwelling.pdf

I have to say it is the worlds biggest laundry, if I had my way it would of been half the size but I know my place so I'll staying out of that one. I wish now I had made a few more changes. The rumpas / theatre rooms at the back are going to have a five metre balcony to the back of the house. The reality I think is that will end up being the main living area and now I'm thinking the kitchen should of gone were the laundry is and the laundry were the kitchen is.
It's good to hear your build is progressing. I understand your concern about the frames.
Looks like you have a narrow block, too. You could have move down the laundry and reduce the size of the rumpus, both length and width. So then you could re-arrange the layout of the kitchen and keep the hallway. You lost the privacy for bed2, main bath and study/bed4. What would you do with that closed hallway?
I have been a bit slack lately but I have been very busy. So anyway this is were we are at. http://home.iprimus.com.au/gcambo/1.pdf

I have to say we are very happy with Jandson homes to date. I really can't fault them. We understand it is frustrating building and sometimes you have to chill out and that's what we have done and it seems to be working out fine.

I think we are looking at around 27th July for hand over and then we knock down the old front house and do it all again. I'm hoping we can get our front house at least bricked up, roof on by Dec so lets see how things pan out.
Good on you! Your kitchen looks big and lovely (a bit bias here because I went for white kitchen too).
Your flooring looks great. Is that timber? What colour is that? Post more pics. You're almost on the finish line. Happy for you.
Yeah getting there Skyler, the Kitchen when finished will look fantastic. The flooring is actually wood look porcelain tiles. They seem to be the rage at the moment.
Well it's now 9 months since the yellow peg went into the ground and we have just had the bathrooms/spalshback tiled and the first of three coats of paint went on today. We are starting to sense that we are getting close to the end. I said from the start I would give a fair and frank review about Jandson Homes. To be honest even though it's taken this long and understanding why it has taken this long we are still very happy with Jandson Homes. Would I give them a bad review if they deserved it ? ABSOLUTELY I would but they have been great to deal with so far to date.
Well we have gone over our due finish date which was on the 14 of July and then we allow for rain days and we are hoping to see the end of this build. A few minor issues need to be sorted out but I'm confident Jandson Homes can sort them out. Yeah not going to lie, this build should of been finished weeks ago. Frustrating for sure.
Hi we are looking to build with Jandson homes. Do they have any hidden fees that will surprise.
Thanks
We are building a double story in Elara marsden park. Ours is a corner lot 15x30 size.
In the articulation zone, are we calculate it from the porch or from the main building line?

And how much to be left from the corner. Any help appreciated
Related
14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum