Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Wisdom Homes

Page 418 of 828
ozmonkeyoy
ASJ1981
Thank you so much doosra and lombieagle!! Your replies helped a lot and i added them to my notes

lombieagle, you are so right! It all adds up! Thanks for the amounts - they sound about right from what i have picked up from previous posts. And i really like your tiles too! I'll need another (few more) visits to DL to check out tiles. I've been twice and i actually liked one from the standard range but changed my mind (go figure!) because it wasn't a rectified tile so can't do the 1.5mm grout. I will also have to revisit the PGH handout i was given. Did you mean the Chocolatto from the Alfresco range was a non-slurry brick? Would prefer not to upgrade if we can help it.

doosra, i knew the timber look tiles would be expensive. I am not sure if we are going to invest in it for downstairs, it's just a huge amount of money. It just depends on how much i want it i guess.. lol... with flooring, i would rather get it done now than do it a year or two later.. So much to take into consideration, it really gets overwhelming!

The Alfresco range are only painted on, and if you go for a darker colour, the chips will show. We have Espresso bricks, and even when the bricks are acid washed they do show markings of true brick colour, so be aware. We knew this would be the case, and we actually don't mind the sparkles that come through the darkness of the brick. I think bigger chips in the bricks would be more of a problem. From afar the bricks look great, up close and you can definitely see where the paint wears away.

Flooring, be prepared to pay plenty....but I think you are aware.

Electricals - it just comes down to how much you want the builder to do vs doing it post handover. We provisioned $10k in ours, and spent a bit over this.

Thank you ozmonkeyoy, we actually picked Espresso too. Really like that colour! Thanks for your tips!
I didn't want to upgrade on bricks if we didn't really need to because i wanted to do one stone pillar which i know is another expense!
MandM+4
ozmonkeyoy
Hey MandM+4,

How is your build going?
I've been a bit out of it lately here, so not sure where you are at? Bricks?
The weather has been a bit of a nuisance lately.....

We are having pavers laid around pool, alfresco and bbq area beginning this week, garden shed next week, and hopefully finishing off on pool equipment setup next week after shed is done.
Inside, most furnishings are done, still a few rooms left to style.

Oz

Hey Oz,
Our bricks were finished Monday, scaffolding to be raised this week and roof starts next week. I’m thinking fascia and gutters may be next week, tiles the week after, if it happens faster it’ll be a bonus! We are on week 11 (slab as week 1), so pretty close to Rocchet’s timeframe, I’ve been stalking her blog

Meeting WL out there on Thursday to try and get the $17K driveway down to a much more reasonable figure...lol...wish me luck!
I’ll post some pics when I take some, maybe tonight.
Glad you are nearing completion with it all, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Tell WL that you have a quote for half their figure and they will come down. I think we got them down to 2/3 of their initial quote, bad still did not go with them as I was able to get someone to do it for approx $9k (including sides and laundry steps, etc)

Good to hear of the progress. If all runs to Rocchet's timeline (and considering xmas shutdown), when is finish expected?
ozmonkeyoy
MandM+4
ozmonkeyoy
Hey MandM+4,

How is your build going?
I've been a bit out of it lately here, so not sure where you are at? Bricks?
The weather has been a bit of a nuisance lately.....

We are having pavers laid around pool, alfresco and bbq area beginning this week, garden shed next week, and hopefully finishing off on pool equipment setup next week after shed is done.
Inside, most furnishings are done, still a few rooms left to style.

Oz

Hey Oz,
Our bricks were finished Monday, scaffolding to be raised this week and roof starts next week. I’m thinking fascia and gutters may be next week, tiles the week after, if it happens faster it’ll be a bonus! We are on week 11 (slab as week 1), so pretty close to Rocchet’s timeframe, I’ve been stalking her blog

Meeting WL out there on Thursday to try and get the $17K driveway down to a much more reasonable figure...lol...wish me luck!
Glad you are nearing completion with it all, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Tell WL that you have a quote for half their figure and they will come down. I think we got them down to 2/3 of their initial quote, bad still did not go with them as I was able to get someone to do it for approx $9k (including sides and laundry steps, etc)

Good to hear of the progress. If all runs to Rocchet's timeline (and considering xmas shutdown), when is finish expected?

Yes we’ll have to have a look at the budget and see whether we can afford the extra $$ WL will cost to have it done for handover. It’s just one less thing we’d have to coordinate as we have a shed and deck to build, as well as the usual landscaping and doing it all ourselves. In hindsight was it worth the saving for you? Did you move in without a driveway?
I’m expecting PCI around mid May, fingers crossed. It’s a 30 week contract and that’s 36 weeks from slab so shouldn’t be later, really.
Rocchet’s timeline would have the lower roofs put on after Xmas though, I’m hoping they push to have that done before.

MandM+4
ozmonkeyoy
MandM+4
Hey Oz,

Yes we’ll have to have a look at the budget and see whether we can afford the extra $$ WL will cost to have it done for handover. It’s just one less thing we’d have to coordinate as we have a shed and deck to build, as well as the usual landscaping and doing it all ourselves. In hindsight was it worth the saving for you? Did you move in without a driveway?
I’m expecting PCI around mid May, fingers crossed. It’s a 30 week contract and that’s 36 weeks from slab so shouldn’t be later, really.
Rocchet’s timeline would have the lower roofs put on after Xmas though, I’m hoping they push to have that done before.

We moved in without the driveway, and realistically didn't find it that bad. There is dust/dirt everywhere from lack of landscaping and with external tradies coming by all the time working on the pool/yard.Cars were parked on street, but we had backyard access which probably helped. We were in a hurry to move in, as we wanted our old house on the market in October, so getting the driveway done would have pushed us back a further week.
We have not bothered to give the house a real good clean, but will be once the landscaping is done. The dust and dirt still gets trekked in by people walking in the yard anyways.
Cost wise, WL should get close, and if its close enough, my advise would be to go with them, solely for convenience of not having to worry about it after handover, especially if you are not in a rush to move in.

Having the roof on over the shutdown would be advantageous.
Well, we received the invoice yesterday so I thought bricks were done but it appears there’s a tiny bit still to do- the alfresco pier and a bit down the right side of the house.
It’s hard to get pics with the scaffold but will post some anyway

Front, portico is to be rendered

The unfinished side

Our levelled backyard from our leisure room window. Retaining walls are meant to be the same level as our alfresco but look a bit high to me, will ask WL on Thursday as I’m meeting them on site anyway.

Alfresco

MandM+4
Well, we received the invoice yesterday so I thought bricks were done but it appears there’s a tiny bit still to do- the alfresco pier and a bit down the right side of the house.

The unfinished side

Our levelled backyard from our leisure room window. Retaining walls are meant to be the same level as our alfresco but look a bit high to me, will ask WL on Thursday as I’m meeting them on site anyway.

Alfresco

Looking good. Will look even better once scaffold gets removed then you will get a much better view.
The backyard will be great for kids as well.
Hopefully they continue to push through for the next 5 weeks to get that much closer for you.
MandM+4
@ASJ1981 $7k is enough for what you want as long as you don’t pick a super expensive stone and take the sink that comes with the prestige package as it’s the cheapest undermount option.
You don’t need to get any landscaping done with W however most of us do to use our $5500 vouchers. Our driveway quote was way over budget so W are levelling our yard and putting retaining walls in for about $9000.
1.5mm grout I think is $18 per sqm but you need to pick a rectified porcelain floor tile if you want this, and so it ends costing much more. 1.5mm is standard on the walls.

Hi MandM, I thought you could not use the W $5,000 voucher on retaining wall and it could only be used for driveway or garden.
Please advice.

How best can we use W landscape voucher without getting sucked in to an overpriced/expensive driveway etc

Thanks.
seeker
MandM+4
@ASJ1981 $7k is enough for what you want as long as you don’t pick a super expensive stone and take the sink that comes with the prestige package as it’s the cheapest undermount option.
You don’t need to get any landscaping done with W however most of us do to use our $5500 vouchers. Our driveway quote was way over budget so W are levelling our yard and putting retaining walls in for about $9000.
1.5mm grout I think is $18 per sqm but you need to pick a rectified porcelain floor tile if you want this, and so it ends costing much more. 1.5mm is standard on the walls.

Hi MandM, I thought you could not use the W $5,000 voucher on retaining wall and it could only be used for driveway or garden.
Please advice.

How best can we use W landscape voucher without getting sucked in to an overpriced/expensive driveway etc

Thanks.

You can use it for anything through WL.
Our retaining walls were $7700+GST and site levelling $1600 I think, so we’ll be out of pocket around $4500. I have no idea how much this would cost externally but hopefully more than the $4500. There’s 30m of retaining walls.
We don’t have side access for machinery after the build so it was get WL to do it or have a sloping yard really.
To get the best value out of the voucher I guess you’d spend something as close to the $5k value as possible.

Excellent Thanks for your prompt clarification.
@singalg

Hi Singalg, how's your progress now? have you got any demolition company referrer in Ryde? Thanks
Home_17
@singalg

Hi Singalg, how's your progress now? have you got any demolition company referrer in Ryde? Thanks

Home_17, its 4 weeks with council now. Public exhibition period finished last Sunday. I am not expecting to hear back from council for a while though - may be early next year.
For demolition - I have received a quote from a company: http://www.sitedemolition.com.au/, but I have parked it for now due to this long wait with Council.
In the background, W office has received everything finalised, except final kitchen drawings which I am expecting in next week or so. Only in waiting mode at the moment.
How are you progressing, what stage are you at now?
Hi All.

I have been asked by W to provide a "Value of Assessment" by a Quantity Surveyor prior to lodging plans to council as the cost is over 500k.

Has anyone else had to have one of these prepared? Its the first I have heard of it.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob the Bludger
Hi All.

I have been asked by W to provide a "Value of Assessment" by a Quantity Surveyor prior to lodging plans to council as the cost is over 500k.

Has anyone else had to have one of these prepared? Its the first I have heard of it.

Thanks,
Bob

Interesting. Havn't heard abt that. My contract cost is also 500K+ but I havnt been requested to provide one, unless something has changed recently, or could be council specific requirement. which council are you building in?
MandM+4

The unfinished side

Alfresco

Looking good! Bet you cant wait for the bricks to be cleaned. Nice large backyard!!

singalg
Bob the Bludger
Hi All.

Thanks,
Bob

Interesting. Havn't heard abt that. My contract cost is also 500K+ but I havnt been requested to provide one, unless something has changed recently, or could be council specific requirement. which council are you building in?

Hi,

I am building in Rockdale under Bayside Council.

I think you are right, it is a council thing. I have had a look at the council website and It looks like I need to arrange a valuation so they can hit me for a 1% levy. I really wish W advised this earlier, I have had so many delays and I could have arranged this already, but to be advised I needed to supply this on the day I was told my plans would be submitted is a little frustrating.

The crazy thing is I haven't received any final figures and am still working off some of their provisional allowance so I have no idea what the valuation should be,

Bobs getting upset!
Chinoandbebe
MandM+4

The unfinished side

Alfresco

Looking good! Bet you cant wait for the bricks to be cleaned. Nice large backyard!!

Thanks Chino.
Are your bricks done yet?

MandM+4
Chinoandbebe
MandM+4

The unfinished side

Alfresco

Thanks Chino.
Are your bricks done yet?

Unfortunately not yet. Bricks are suppose to be delivered this week & start end of week. We don't live close so can't check on progress. Hope the rain stays away.
Roof was finished last week!

Bob the Bludger
singalg
Bob the Bludger
Hi All.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi,

I think you are right, it is a council thing. I have had a look at the council website and It looks like I need to arrange a valuation so they can hit me for a 1% levy. I really wish W advised this earlier, I have had so many delays and I could have arranged this already, but to be advised I needed to supply this on the day I was told my plans would be submitted is a little frustrating.

The crazy thing is I haven't received any final figures and am still working off some of their provisional allowance so I have no idea what the valuation should be,

Bobs getting upset!
I hear ya bob. W told me to get a sewer peg out report which held things up and I wished they told me earlier as this was something I could have done a long while ago.

Roof up, from a week & a half ago. It has since been finished but I don't have a pic. Liking Monument colour!
Bob the Bludger
singalg
Bob the Bludger
Hi All.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi,

Bobs getting upset!

Sorry to hear that Bob, its a shame W did not mention this to you. I expect the CSR to do atleast this level of due dilligence and inform the people. Can W atleast advise for any other homes they have built in Rockdale and did the others go abt it - may be worth checking with them.
Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

25/02/2024
Wisdom Homes | Momentum Series

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, I am exploring builder in NSW and received a very tempting quote from Wisdom home for their momentum series. I just want to know experience of building…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum