Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Wisdom Homes

Page 799 of 828
Stukip
We used AtoZ Demolitions.
Agree - ensure your quote is based on a thorough inspection for asbestos as getting rid of contaminated soil is expensive.

Thanks Stukip - that's very helpful and we definitely have some on site.
kiffoke
In advance of our approval, our CS has suggested that we start looking for demolition quotes and I wanted to reach out to see what people's experiences have been in the admittedly niche area.

Wisdom recommend Site Demolitions, and I will be following up with them, but did anyone have other recommendations and particularly things to watch out for? Thanks in advance

I used Democorp earlier this year based on a recommendation from a friend that used them.

Their quote also come in $1k cheaper than Site Demolitions, and Gabrael House Demolitions.
I also got a quote from Home Demolitions, but they were $4k more.

Although my quote covered asbestos in the power board and eaves and walls, that's all it covered. Unfortunately some of the concrete in wet areas was contaminated with asbestos so I did have to pay another $3k for removal.

This probably wouldn't applied to any of them though since it was not identified until during the cleanup.
Kiffoke

Site Demolitions are very good and will most likely qoute you the highest price but you won’t have any surprises.

A to Z are ok. In my experience They will qoute the lowest but will probably “ find” contaminated soil with asbestos. The additional costs associate will most likely bring it back up to the highest qoute anyway. A To Z also tend to take a bit longer.
Stukip

Bravo!!!!👏👏👏
Manhattan52
@Kiffoke

Site Demolitions are very good and will most likely qoute you the highest price but you won’t have any surprises.

A to Z are ok. In my experience They will qoute the lowest but will probably “ find” contaminated soil with asbestos. The additional costs associate will most likely bring it back up to the highest qoute anyway. A To Z also tend to take a bit longer.

Thanks Manhattan52 - that's good advice. I have a call with Site this morning to check their approach to finding additional asbestos on site.
Ghandaji
Yara
Ghandaji
That doesn't sound good at all mate. They could have just called the other company. I hope it's not what happens because of PCI.

[ltr]It has been a while since my last update.

Sorry, this is going to be a long one.

Timeline
- End of December 2016 paid deposit
- Was given representation that February 2020 everything would be ready for us to move in with interim OC.
- This changed to March 2020.
- Then April 2020.

Wisdom had given us representation throughout that there would be no issues to get to interim OC as a builder.
Then we were suddenly told just before PCI, we were suddenly in a strange situation like a number of their other customers and that we needed to now complete landscaping, retaining walls and driveway. (We could have done all this last December 2019).
May 2020 before we took over the site to complete landscaping, we were told that the only things left for Wisdom to complete were painting, the outdoor brick clean, and the final clean after landscaping and we could move in.
We were also given representation that it would take about 1 week for Wisdom to organise all the certificates required for the occupational certificate.
All we have to do is tell them about a week before we finish landscaping so they can organise everything.

Not happy that even though early July we inform them that all the hard landscaping is complete, we are still in a position where they told us the Hydraulics engineer had been sent out and we should be able to get the final hydraulics certificate.

We call the Hydraulics engineer to find out that they have not even been engaged or booked in.
How disappointing.
We take back control of the site. Wisdom was to update us when people would be coming on site to do their certifications. We get no updates, from the same SS that we felt was disrespectful to us. This is the same last minute change of SS when we were told everything was to be ready.

We can see from the outside of the house, that many of the items that Wisdom had provided representation and promised to fix have not been fixed, from the door, to glass, probably even some of the electricals. All of it, which they said was simple to fix. This again, is pretty disappointing.

We then get an update that the same SS who we felt was disrespectful had not been able to attend site last Monday or Tuesday.
They told us we are meant to be the most prioritised because of the extreme lateness of everything.

What is more important, is that we have no updates on what dates this week on when the trades will complete the work that Wisdom had promised would be finished in May (originally February, or what days this week the certifications will complete (since last week we did not receive the final hydraulics certificate)

We heard that other Wisdom builds during their landscaping, have Wisdom trades come in to fix various things, and do certification.

Pretty disappointing to say the least.

In the meantime, on our own to help out Wisdom, we have obtained the retaining wall certification back in June. Driveway, Kerb, Gutter, footpath certification and Arborist certification.

I just hope they can get it all sorted out this week as promised and are not going to waste any more time.

I just have a feeling Wisdom is not trying hard enough to help us as a customer and the level of service has dropped since PCI
[/ltr]

Please keep us posted on how they progress this week. Did they get back to you with the dates trades will complete everything this week?

It sounds like you are almost at the finish line.

Timeline
- 38 week build (representation from Wisdom)
- End of December 2016 paid deposit.
- Was given representation that February 2020 everything would be ready for us to move in with interim OC.
- This changed to March 2020 promises for completion. (Changed Site Supervisor). Apparently prioritised as one of their top customers because of lateness.

- Then April 2020 promises for completion.
- Then May 2020 promises for completion.
- We still have not moved in yet.
- Certificates promised still NOT received by SBAC
- Completion of all the "Minor" works promised back in February, March, then April and then another promise to be completed May still NOT completed.

We feel the customer service has seriously dropped. Especially if we are apparently one of their "top prioritised customer" because things are running so late.

Here is some feedback, so you can see the experience of a top priortised customer.

Wisdom provided representation that after some delays in the last 3 week, that all the certificates were meant to be provided for Works as Executed and Stormwater. Did not happen yet again.
The rest of the apparently "minor" house issues, were meant to be fixed from back February, which changed to March which changed to April then May 2020. Did not happen yet again.

Wisdom said everything was running ahead of time compared to other builds according to the Site Supervisor.
We are approaching over 6 months late from when apparently we could move in.

We contact SBAC the private certifier, as Wisdom has said they sent the certificates to them approximately 2 weeks ago.
They inform us the certificates which Wisdom had said were completed and sent to them have NOT been received by them in any of the last 3 weeks.

I feel it is very disappointing!

It would not be an issue, if this was still January.

Another week wasted! Very disappointing!! As they had provided representation that everything had been booked and should have been completed, for a final final final time from February, March, April,, May.....

It's approaching August now!

I don't know if you can feel any better, knowing there are apparently "quite a few customers" "suddenly" in the same boat....

I just have a feeling Wisdom is not trying hard enough to help us as a customer and the level of service has dropped since PCI.
Anyone have any recommendations on custom joinery companies after handover?
kiffoke
Manhattan52
@Kiffoke

Thanks Manhattan52 - that's good advice. I have a call with Site this morning to check their approach to finding additional asbestos on site.

Agree with Manhattan52 on the cost with hidden asbestos. I think the question to ask is not their rate per tonne/kg but whether they take the whole slab / soil unfiltered and weigh that as your additional cost or "hand pick out" the asbestos. We went with the cheapest company and even though during the week progress was told of hidden asbestos found, the final cost was a shocker! Obviously if I knew what I know now, I would have went with WH's recommended demolition company it would have been vetted by WH to ensure it wouldn't tarnish their name.
Ambassador36

These guys have been mentioned before: Jack, Pro Art kitchens 0420 885 886
does everything from kitchens, vanities, walk in robes, TV cabinets etc.
M4bath
kiffoke

Agree with Manhattan52 on the cost with hidden asbestos. I think the question to ask is not their rate per tonne/kg but whether they take the whole slab / soil unfiltered and weigh that as your additional cost or "hand pick out" the asbestos. We went with the cheapest company and even though during the week progress was told of hidden asbestos found, the final cost was a shocker! Obviously if I knew what I know now, I would have went with WH's recommended demolition company it would have been vetted by WH to ensure it wouldn't tarnish their name.

Thanks all - it's been very helpful. Site have confirmed that they will hand-pick asbestos pieces out of the concrete or soil if required and bag it all for disposal. This comes at a cost of $300 per 20kg bag. Compared to dumping soil and concrete at $700 per ton in bulk. Seems prudent given the amoutn of asbestos on site at the moment
kiffoke
M4bath
kiffoke

Thanks all - it's been very helpful. Site have confirmed that they will hand-pick asbestos pieces out of the concrete or soil if required and bag it all for disposal. This comes at a cost of $300 per 20kg bag. Compared to dumping soil and concrete at $700 per ton in bulk. Seems prudent given the amoutn of asbestos on site at the moment

We went with Site Demolition and were charged just over $4000 for finding additional asbestos during demolition. We were shocked that this was not uncovered till then. Didn’t really have a choice by that stage other than to agree.
Ghandaji
Funk52
So last week I finally received approval from Council not to install a front brick fence. Whole process took 3 months. What a sick joke. If the certifier didn't make a fuss about it then I could have avoided this process.

Also submitted the last document the certifier wanted on Friday but I'm still waiting for the interim occupation certificate, 3.5 months since my second PCI.......

Congrats! That's a crazy wait...

What took so long for interim OC?
Yara
Ghandaji
Yara
[ltr]It has been a while since my last update.

Sorry, this is going to be a long one.

Timeline
- End of December 2016 paid deposit
- This changed to March 2020.
- Then April 2020.

Wisdom had given us representation throughout that there would be no issues to get to interim OC as a builder.
Then we were suddenly told just before PCI, we were suddenly in a strange situation like a number of their other customers and that we needed to now complete landscaping, retaining walls and driveway. (We could have done all this last December 2019).
May 2020 before we took over the site to complete landscaping, we were told that the only things left for Wisdom to complete were painting, the outdoor brick clean, and the final clean after landscaping and we could move in.
We were also given representation that it would take about 1 week for Wisdom to organise all the certificates required for the occupational certificate.
All we have to do is tell them about a week before we finish landscaping so they can organise everything.

Not happy that even though early July we inform them that all the hard landscaping is complete, we are still in a position where they told us the Hydraulics engineer had been sent out and we should be able to get the final hydraulics certificate.

We call the Hydraulics engineer to find out that they have not even been engaged or booked in.
How disappointing.
We take back control of the site. Wisdom was to update us when people would be coming on site to do their certifications. We get no updates, from the same SS that we felt was disrespectful to us. This is the same last minute change of SS when we were told everything was to be ready.

We can see from the outside of the house, that many of the items that Wisdom had provided representation and promised to fix have not been fixed, from the door, to glass, probably even some of the electricals. All of it, which they said was simple to fix. This again, is pretty disappointing.

We then get an update that the same SS who we felt was disrespectful had not been able to attend site last Monday or Tuesday.
They told us we are meant to be the most prioritised because of the extreme lateness of everything.

What is more important, is that we have no updates on what dates this week on when the trades will complete the work that Wisdom had promised would be finished in May (originally February, or what days this week the certifications will complete (since last week we did not receive the final hydraulics certificate)

We heard that other Wisdom builds during their landscaping, have Wisdom trades come in to fix various things, and do certification.

Pretty disappointing to say the least.

In the meantime, on our own to help out Wisdom, we have obtained the retaining wall certification back in June. Driveway, Kerb, Gutter, footpath certification and Arborist certification.

I just hope they can get it all sorted out this week as promised and are not going to waste any more time.

I just have a feeling Wisdom is not trying hard enough to help us as a customer and the level of service has dropped since PCI
[/ltr]

Please keep us posted on how they progress this week. Did they get back to you with the dates trades will complete everything this week?

It sounds like you are almost at the finish line.

Timeline
- This changed to March 2020 promises for completion. (Changed Site Supervisor). Apparently prioritised as one of their top customers because of lateness.

- Completion of all the "Minor" works promised back in February, March, then April and then another promise to be completed May still NOT completed.

We feel the customer service has seriously dropped. Especially if we are apparently one of their "top prioritised customer" because things are running so late.

Here is some feedback, so you can see the experience of a top priortised customer.

Wisdom provided representation that after some delays in the last 3 week, that all the certificates were meant to be provided for Works as Executed and Stormwater. Did not happen yet again.
The rest of the apparently "minor" house issues, were meant to be fixed from back February, which changed to March which changed to April then May 2020. Did not happen yet again.

Wisdom said everything was running ahead of time compared to other builds according to the Site Supervisor.

We contact SBAC the private certifier, as Wisdom has said they sent the certificates to them approximately 2 weeks ago.
They inform us the certificates which Wisdom had said were completed and sent to them have NOT been received by them in any of the last 3 weeks.

Another week wasted! Very disappointing!! As they had provided representation that everything had been booked and should have been completed, for a final final final time from February, March, April,, May.....

I don't know if you can feel any better, knowing there are apparently "quite a few customers" "suddenly" in the same boat....

I just have a feeling Wisdom is not trying hard enough to help us as a customer and the level of service has dropped since PCI.

I feel for you.

It seems the customer service is going down hill. Can you keep us posted daily on what they are doing?

Has everything now been fixed? Did you get the certificates promised?

I would not be just feeling disappointed. Probably a bit angry.
I had been looking at the forums and facebook for a while, and I had my top 3 builders list after doing my homework. After looking at all the information here. I am thinking of doing a knockdown rebuild. I can see why there have been lots of complaints about Wisdom homes. I liked the display homes I saw at Oran Park. However based on the feedback of other knock down rebuilds, I am thinking it is a lot safer to go with Better Build which was right next door. There's probably a reason why Wisdom had 2.1 star rating that other people mentioned for a long time. The other one has 5 stars, and far less complaints for knock down rebuilds. The houses side by side, I quite like the design and finish, however it's quite visible the customer service is not there and getting worse? I will probably keep a close eye to see what happens, as there are a lot of learnings here. I think the feedback from Norfolk is useful too.
Ghandaji
Yara
Timeline

I feel for you.

It seems the customer service is going down hill. Can you keep us posted daily on what they are doing?

No final certificates for WAE and Hydraulics yet.
The stuff which they said back in April and May that would take one week. If you include May, for almost 4 weeks it has not been fixed.

This is despite getting promised that everything was meant to be fixed in February and ready. Then March, Then April, Then May.

Very disappointing. Especially when you think about the promises they made.

Yesterday, there appeared to be no trades working on site.
Monday there appeared to be no trades on site. There was a drop off of tiles which took 5 minutes.
Today, there appeared to be no trades working on site.
Last Friday, appeared to have no trades working on site
Thursday appeared to have no trades working on site.
Wednesday appeared to have no trades working on site.
Last Tuesday appeared to have no trades working on site.
Last Monday apparently a Site Supervisor visited the site. Apparently no work fixed.
Two Friday's ago there was a Site Supervisor that visited the site.

We were getting daily updates in May.

Was meant to be completed last week, the final, final, final, final time.

Very disappointed.

This is when they promised they had booked everything weeks ago. Anyone have advice? I don't know how they will even complete this week.

Happy to talk via PM, since the forum is is not as lively as before.
Yara
Ghandaji
Yara
Timeline

I feel for you.

The stuff which they said back in April and May that would take one week. If you include May, for almost 4 weeks it has not been fixed.

This is despite getting promised that everything was meant to be fixed in February and ready. Then March, Then April, Then May.

Monday there appeared to be no trades on site. There was a drop off of tiles which took 5 minutes.
Last Monday apparently a Site Supervisor visited the site. Apparently no work fixed.

Very disappointed.

This is when they promised they had booked everything weeks ago. Anyone have advice? I don't know how they will even complete this week.

Hi There,
I will be really interested in hearing what is Wisdom doing to rectify this Big Issue for you and how long do they take it to completely fix it. I also believe it is good to expose any problems or shortcoming in this forum, as it is a transparent window that Wisdom should closely monitor.
Cheers
One question, have you escalated this issue to management?
Yara
Ghandaji
Yara
Timeline

I feel for you.

Very disappointed.

I know that the situation with interim OC has changed, they are basically not issuing those no more except if you got your approval before DEC 2019 (which is what we fall under). in which case you still fall in the transition period where they can issue an interim OC.

however, the interpretation of what is required for an interim OC is purely on the certifier.. as an example, before you wouldn't need the driveway done for the IOC, now from what we know, the requirement for our IOC is very similar to the final OC. I spoke with the council and some tells me there isnt any IOC, some tells me otherwise.. even they are pretty confused. I think Wisdom process hasn't caught up to this change yet. And like what other members have suggested, bank dont release final payment until eight IOC or final OC is issued. This become a problem if you are doing external work yourself.

Having said that, Yara all your issues relating to WOE, hydraulics are all within Wisdoms control.. that is in fact very disappointing to hear.
kiffoke
Ambassador36

These guys have been mentioned before: Jack, Pro Art kitchens 0420 885 886
does everything from kitchens, vanities, walk in robes, TV cabinets etc.

Thats the one! thank you!
malypetu
Yara

Very disappointed.

Hi There,
I will be really interested in hearing what is Wisdom doing to rectify this Big Issue for you and how long do they take it to completely fix it. I also believe it is good to expose any problems or shortcoming in this forum, as it is a transparent window that Wisdom should closely monitor.
Cheers
One question, have you escalated this issue to management?

Good news!

Received a call from Wisdom head of construction today.
They say we should be able to receive the certificates on Friday.

They say the house should be ready for handover on the 6th August next week. Looking forward to it!
PeterJess
Yara

Very disappointed.

I know that the situation with interim OC has changed, they are basically not issuing those no more except if you got your approval before DEC 2019 (which is what we fall under). in which case you still fall in the transition period where they can issue an interim OC.

however, the interpretation of what is required for an interim OC is purely on the certifier.. as an example, before you wouldn't need the driveway done for the IOC, now from what we know, the requirement for our IOC is very similar to the final OC. I spoke with the council and some tells me there isnt any IOC, some tells me otherwise.. even they are pretty confused. I think Wisdom process hasn't caught up to this change yet. And like what other members have suggested, bank dont release final payment until eight IOC or final OC is issued. This become a problem if you are doing external work yourself.

Having said that, Yara all your issues relating to WOE, hydraulics are all within Wisdoms control.. that is in fact very disappointing to hear.

Our approval was received in 2018. We should fall under the old scheme.

We already went through all the efforts of landscaping, driveways completed etc. It's all up to Wisdom to have the paperwork / admin sorted for us to get OC.

Good that we just received a call from Wisdom Head of Construction letting us know they are working on it and we should be receiving the certificates on Friday and the house ready for handover 6th August.
Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

25/02/2024
Wisdom Homes | Momentum Series

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, I am exploring builder in NSW and received a very tempting quote from Wisdom home for their momentum series. I just want to know experience of building…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum