Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Wisdom Homes

Page 751 of 828
Steven155

1) tiling is done after cabinetry install. Tiling above vanity won’t be done until stone top is installed

2) tap surround will be waterproofed in shower not basins

3) ground flooring doesn’t get waterproofed only 1st floors

Hope that helps
Teezed
Ambassador36
Quick question: average time to get through the selections process in Canvas quarter?

You will be allocated two full days but it really depends on how prepared you are beforehand, how decisive you are on the day and then how many custom upgrades you want. Our kitchen drawings took the longest - almost 6 months from when we had our selections at CQ but we did a customised door profile with a full second kitchen fit out in the butler's pantry and whilst it took a long time I wanted to make sure we got it right. Our stairs took a while too again because we customised the bannister so went through several iterations before we got what we wanted.

Hi Teezed,

Actually sorry lol, I meant after the 2 days, the quotes are taking forever to come back, but we did make some minor tweeks so not totally estimating's fault.

Also anyone based in Blacktown council? How long did it take to get council approval once all your selections are signed off? Anyone recently? Hoping since the building market has cooled a little the turnaround will be a little better than usual 4-6 weeks... eager to break ground and get this going asap.

Thanks!
Ambassador36
Hi Teezed,

Actually sorry lol, I meant after the 2 days, the quotes are taking forever to come back, but we did make some minor tweeks so not totally estimating's fault.

Also anyone based in Blacktown council? How long did it take to get council approval once all your selections are signed off? Anyone recently? Hoping since the building market has cooled a little the turnaround will be a little better than usual 4-6 weeks... eager to break ground and get this going asap.

Thanks!

Hi Ambassador36 - we are with Blacktown Council. It took 10 working days to get Council Approval - impressive, right? Plans were submitted to Council on 01/11/2018 and approved 15/11/2018. Where are you building?

In regards to the Quotes, we had our selections in early March 2018, the Quotes arrived within 3-4 weeks. I think Electricals came quickest, then Colours, Di Lorenzo, Timpelle Kitchens, Landscaping, Sentinel Alarms then Actron Air. We made a few changes and amendments to all of the Quotes. And it wasn't until May (2 months later) when we finalised everything.

Hope that helps!
ASJ1981
Manhattan52
That’s fantastic really great to hear!

Busy week for us. Alfresco tiling being completed this week, electrical and carpentry fit out. Am hoping for handover 1st week of December. Will depend largely on landscaping

manhattan52 - i don't know about you, but this year has flown
We'll both be in by Christmas at least!
I'm glad all is going well at your end too. Our SS has been great, when we see issues or have any questions, he's on top of it - so we've been really lucky in that regard.

After driveway, is it usually a week or two away from possible PCI?

Most likely a few weeks for QA. Depends how how much work is left.

We started construction in October last year so hasn’t exactly flown by for me! I have a fantastic SS also just fantastic to deal with. We have a huge landscape job ahead before PCI. If Landscaping delays me it will certainly change how I feel!
Manhattan52
@Steven155

1) tiling is done after cabinetry install. Tiling above vanity won’t be done until stone top is installed

Hope that helps

Good to know about floor not being water proofed. Would the 1st level bathroom floor be entirely water proofed or just the shower, toilet and drainage points?
M4bath
Manhattan52
@Steven155

Hope that helps

Good to know about floor not being water proofed. Would the 1st level bathroom floor be entirely water proofed or just the shower, toilet and drainage points?

Whole floor
Our CQ took almost 6 mo, the initial quotes and colour selection came very quickly (few weeks) but we went back and forth with some decisions, made changes as we became more informed (this forum helped immensely and I’m sure we captured a lot of mistakes this way), we had to wait for council (12 weeks I think) so only needed landscape and external colours to go ahead for Basix and hydraulics. We then took our time with kitchen, bathrooms etc. rate limiting step was council.
How wet can the floor and gyprock get?? I’m concerned about the heavy rains we have had and the absence of some windows, front door and garage door allowing rain in this week.
becks81
How wet can the floor and gyprock get?? I’m concerned about the heavy rains we have had and the absence of some windows, front door and garage door allowing rain in this week.

becks81 your floor is no issue at all. Any gyprock that has any damage will get removed and replaced no problems
Manhattan52
becks81

becks81 your floor is no issue at all. Any gyprock that has any damage will get removed and replaced no problems

Thanks Manhattan52. That's reassuring, I'll feel better after lock up but there still won't be a garage door.
Check the floor is level and the gyprock walls and ceilings are straight and are not bowed, per NCC tolerance standards. Many volume builder homes are not compliant.
Norfolk
Check the floor is level and the gyprock walls and ceilings are straight and are not bowed, per NCC tolerance standards. Many volume builder homes are not compliant.

Thanks Norfolk. I’m at that stage too now. I will certainly check.
Hi,

Has anyone installed an ev charging provision or station in the garage? If yes, how much is wisdom charging for the provision?

Thanks
ASJ1981
Ambassador36
Hi Teezed,

Thanks!

Hi Ambassador36 - we are with Blacktown Council. It took 10 working days to get Council Approval - impressive, right? Plans were submitted to Council on 01/11/2018 and approved 15/11/2018. Where are you building?

In regards to the Quotes, we had our selections in early March 2018, the Quotes arrived within 3-4 weeks. I think Electricals came quickest, then Colours, Di Lorenzo, Timpelle Kitchens, Landscaping, Sentinel Alarms then Actron Air. We made a few changes and amendments to all of the Quotes. And it wasn't until May (2 months later) when we finalised everything.

Hope that helps!

Ok thank you, was very helpful!

We are building in The Ponds and praying that the council is just as speedy with us as I really am already tired out from the admin process alone and want to move in already...

We have almost got all our quotes back now, we just have electricals to come back as we made some minor changes.

Have you build close to us? How was your site supervisor? Hoping to get a good one as it makes a huge difference in build experience and end result.
I believe our stairs have been installed and waterproofing will be done this week. A front door has also appeared but I'm not sure how far along the internal doors, architraves, skirting has come.

Kitchen booked in 2 weeks. What order do they do things at this stage? And I forgot to ask my SS, by kitchen, do they mean all joinery or just kitchen joinery?

Still looking at after Christmas but I'm ok with that, I don't want a mad rush to the end at this stage.
becks81
I believe our stairs have been installed and waterproofing will be done this week. A front door has also appears but I'm not sure how far along the internal doors, architraves, skirting has come.

Kitchen booked in 2 weeks. What order do they do things at this stage? And I forgot to ask my SS, by kitchen, do they mean all joinery or just kitchen joinery?

Still looking at after Christmas but I'm ok with that, I don't want a mad rush to the end at this stage.

All joinery will most likely be done at the same time Bec. Your wet area tiling will start soon also. You are really coming along now!
did anyone increase the ceiling insulation above the standard R3.5? it is very hot upstairs in summer...just wondering if I got R6.0 ceiling insulation whether would improve greatly. thanks
psur2357
did anyone increase the ceiling insulation above the standard R3.5? it is very hot upstairs in summer...just wondering if I got R6.0 ceiling insulation whether would improve greatly. thanks

Hi, I would google “stack effect house summer”....the extra insulation will help but most important thing I reckon is to control air leakage in/out of the building. In summer cool air drops and if it can easily leak out it causes pressure differences that will pull hot outside air in from the top. So look carefully at the obvious leak points in a building envelope. Things like evaporative cooling vents/ducts, windows not sealing properly etc.

In winter the reverse happens and as hot air rises, you might open a window and then cold air rushes in from downstairs again due to pressure differences.

Control temps with insulation is important but less effective if there are plenty of air leaks, and some of them are simple enough to locate and fix.
sv_reddy
Hi,

Has anyone installed an ev charging provision or station in the garage? If yes, how much is wisdom charging for the provision?

Thanks

I don't think they do it.
darb74
psur2357

Hi, I would google “stack effect house summer”....the extra insulation will help but most important thing I reckon is to control air leakage in/out of the building. In summer cool air drops and if it can easily leak out it causes pressure differences that will pull hot outside air in from the top. So look carefully at the obvious leak points in a building envelope. Things like evaporative cooling vents/ducts, windows not sealing properly etc.

In winter the reverse happens and as hot air rises, you might open a window and then cold air rushes in from downstairs again due to pressure differences.

Control temps with insulation is important but less effective if there are plenty of air leaks, and some of them are simple enough to locate and fix.

I would second this. It would be worth checking if Wisdom are meant to insulate around the garage door as we had about a 1 inch gap and given we have a sliding door from Garage into Laundry and then another sliding door into the buttlers there was a lot of air movement. Just spent about $400 to get the Garage door sealed and also put a seal around the front door which was worth every cent.
Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

25/02/2024
Wisdom Homes | Momentum Series

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, I am exploring builder in NSW and received a very tempting quote from Wisdom home for their momentum series. I just want to know experience of building…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum