Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Wisdom Homes

Page 721 of 828
Hi Chompy,

Mainly GPOs (internal & externals), ceiling fans (outdoor, guest room down stairs and masters suite), down lights, data points
Having a PA in your tender doesn’t help you cost wise though does it? Our tender was about 150-200k off the final price. We factored in a lot of upgrades during the sale process but did not have any changes to flooring/bathroom fittings/electrical. Window furnishings and Sentinal were added costs that we had not budgeted for as we had no idea what would be available.
becks81
Having a PA in your tender doesn’t help you cost wise though does it? Our tender was about 150-200k off the final price. We factored in a lot of upgrades during the sale process but did not have any changes to flooring/bathroom fittings/electrical. Window furnishings and Sentinal were added costs that we had not budgeted for as we had no idea what would be available.

Some people use the tender document in their pre approval process for their finance so it’s useful to have a PA in the numbers
We have slab!! Very unexpectedly! Apparently it was poured yesterday, the concreters are still there now though, is it usually poured in one or two stages? There was a majour downpour about an hour go, torrential. We have swimming pools where the formwork is still in situ. Should I be
worried?

becks81
We have slab!! Very unexpectedly! Apparently it was poured yesterday, the concreters are still there now though, is it usually poured in one or two stages? There was a majour downpour about an hour go, torrential. We have swimming pools where the formwork is still in situ. Should I be
worried?

How exciting becks81
marcabalos
MandM+4
marcabalos
Hi all,

We have our tender presentation tomorrow. Just wanting to know everyone’s experiences with the tender. And maybe tips that we can keep in mind during the process. I know that we shouldn’t be pressured to sign straight away and we should go over things with a fine tooth comb. Was there things you were able to negotiate? Or variations that you got at a low price or complimentary?

And tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You can make variations after you get your first set of plans, as you undoubtedly will so don’t stress too much over what you’ve included.
Keep in mind there’s a levels variation to come after this (drop edge beams etc), you’ll probably have to upgrade more to get through basix and you’ll have a $910 sewer peg out if building in a new estate.
And obviously you’ll spend a fair bit at your appointments. So just allow a big allowance on top of tender!
Tender signing was really the only time we got to negotiate on the price and it wasn’t by much.

Thanks! How much allowance would you think you would need to have decent upgrades at appointments?

As others have said it will vary from person to person but to give an indication ours was:

$588k Tender (base Ambassador 36 was $405k)
plus:
$5k - Electrical
$15k - Kitchen
$15k - Tiles/Carpets
$10k - additional scope creep (garage size increase, downstairs shower, under stair storage, lowered laundry/powder floor etc).
$17k - Driveway, moved crossover, side path
becks81
worried?

Congrats becks81 fantastic news
jqcc0
As others have said it will vary from person to person but to give an indication ours was:

plus:
$5k - Electrical
$15k - Kitchen
$15k - Tiles/Carpets
$10k - additional scope creep (garage size increase, downstairs shower, under stair storage, lowered laundry/powder floor etc).

Thanks a lot, this gives me a great insight to all the costs just keep adding up. And getting the tender price and found there just a lot of possible other cost that will be involved from here onwards which isn’t included in the fixed price which just gives me concern as to how much more will we need to pay
marcabalos
jqcc0

plus:
$5k - Electrical
$15k - Kitchen
$15k - Tiles/Carpets

Thanks a lot, this gives me a great insight to all the costs just keep adding up. And getting the tender price and found there just a lot of possible other cost that will be involved from here onwards which isn’t included in the fixed price which just gives me concern as to how much more will we need to pay
/quote]

We are in a flood affected area so around $100k was due to that. Keep in mind that a lot of the other costs were enhancements so we chose to do them. The base quality and choices are better than a lot of the other builders so it really comes down to budget although I can’t see anyone spending less than $5k on electrical and we are also spending around $10k on plantations, curtains and other internal things like light fittings, fans etc. I think landscaping was the biggest shock as I had only budgeted an additional $20k for that which has already gone just with the new driveway, getting rid of the old one and a side path. Still need laundry and rear stairs, handrails for the alfresco and the rest of the yard landscaping so yeah it definitely all adds up.
jqcc0
marcabalos
jqcc0

plus:
$5k - Electrical
$15k - Kitchen
$15k - Tiles/Carpets

/quote]

We are in a flood affected area so around $100k was due to that. Keep in mind that a lot of the other costs were enhancements so we chose to do them. The base quality and choices are better than a lot of the other builders so it really comes down to budget although I can’t see anyone spending less than $5k on electrical and we are also spending around $10k on plantations, curtains and other internal things like light fittings, fans etc. I think landscaping was the biggest shock as I had only budgeted an additional $20k for that which has already gone just with the new driveway, getting rid of the old one and a side path. Still need laundry and rear stairs, handrails for the alfresco and the rest of the yard landscaping so yeah it definitely all adds up.

Jqcc0 is absolutely right, marcabalos ... every house is going to be different. You can make it work within your budget. Wisdom Homes does have amazing inclusions that come as "standard" where it would have been an upgrade to the other builders. And I haven't seen one builder yet that gives $70,000 plus worth of upgrades
Don't forget the $25,000 you can use in the Canvas Quarter to upgrade at colours, kitchen, electricals, flooring etc. You do get great value for money. Yes, the base price of Wisdom is a little on the higher side, but i just think you get what you pay for in regards to quality and choices with Wisdom.
becks81
worried?

That looks like a lot of water. It may take longer for the cement to cure?

I am guessing you already have an independent inspector check it too?

Exciting.
Yara
becks81
worried?

Exciting.

It looked like this on Friday, the laundry (which you can see just behind the garage), is still under water. We are getting an independent inspection of the slab, it's booked for Monday.

What I am also concerned about is the back step off the alfresco, it's meant to be about 4.3m across, I'll attach the concrete plan. My husband got some pics from over the neighbour's fence. Can anyone reassure me that it's meant to look like this? Why is it so short? and why is the alfresco part of the slab cut in?

becks81
Yara
becks81
worried?

Exciting.

It looked like this on Friday, the laundry (which you can see just behind the garage), is still under water. We are getting an independent inspection of the slab, it's booked for Monday.

What I am also concerned about is the back step off the alfresco, it's meant to be about 4.3m across, I'll attach the concrete plan. My husband got some pics from over the neighbour's fence. Can anyone reassure me that it's meant to look like this? Why is it so short? and why is the alfresco part of the slab cut in?

The alfresco and garage are lower than the rest of the slab so that water doesn’t run in from outside.

A wet slab is generally a good thing, it dries slower and is less likely to crack. I’m not sure at what point too much rain becomes a problem, independent inspection sounds like a good plan.

Melos
becks81

The alfresco and garage are lower than the rest of the slab so that water doesn’t run in from outside.

A wet slab is generally a good thing, it dries slower and is less likely to crack. I’m not sure at what point too much rain becomes a problem, independent inspection sounds like a good plan.

Thanks, I don't think I was clear, I don't mean why is it lower, I meant why is the step off the alfresco shorter than it was planned to be and why is the back part of the alfresco not continuous all the way across
becks81
Melos
becks81

Thanks, I don't think I was clear, I don't mean why is it lower, I meant why is the step off the alfresco shorter than it was planned to be and why is the back part of the alfresco not continuous all the way across

I see what you mean now. Have a chat to your site supervisor once you have the inspection done. How long after the slab pour was the heavy rain?

Melos
becks81
Melos

I see what you mean now. Have a chat to your site supervisor once you have the inspection done. How long after the slab pour was the heavy rain?

I think it was poured on Wednesday and the heavy rain was on Thursday morning. We had no idea it was happening as they told us it was postponed till Friday so didn't go and look on Wednesday. Missed my SS's call yesterday so will have to touch base on Monday.
After the rain, its all still fairly flat right? Which inspector are you using? You can probably raise it with them too. The slab is 25 percent of the cost when doing project build. Less of course if you are Owner builder.
Did anyone get Sentinel to do their intercom setup. If so how much......is it worth getting or can I just them to wire it and install mine later
Some updated photos of the build. In general pretty happy with everything so far. Few minor issues but working through them with the SS.

Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

25/02/2024
Wisdom Homes | Momentum Series

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, I am exploring builder in NSW and received a very tempting quote from Wisdom home for their momentum series. I just want to know experience of building…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum