Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Wisdom Homes

Page 613 of 828
Jenifermarie
We had an inspection yesterday to check on progress and catch up with our SS properly. We’re now at 26 weeks since our slab went down and 29 weeks since site scrape.

We were due to have final painting done this week but some gyprock remediation took longer than expected so we still only have our first coat done. All our electrical, aircon and plumbing fitoff was done last week.

We’re still waiting for tiling to be finished as well - our slab needed to be squared off for external tiling and some gyprock adjustments had to be done in our main bathroom so the window would close once the window reveal was tiled.

We’re about 3-4 weeks from PCI at this stage (SS reckons 3 weeks unless we have more delays for fixing issues as Wisdom have a QA team that comes in to inspect first, then the construction manager comes in too before we get PCI). The items still outstanding are:

- garage door and driveway (due this week)
- internal and external painting (due this week)
- internal and external tiling to be completed (about 80% finished)
- wardrobe and pantry shelving
- pantry doors to be fitted (opening was the wrong size)
- carpet
- internal doors to be hung (frames are in, doors are painted off the frames)
- mirrors, shower screens and wardrobe sliding doors
- kitchen splashback
- balcony railing and privacy screen
- flyscreens
- door handles and towel rails

Main kitchen area

Butlers Pantry (with bonus husband assessing if it’s up to his standards for washing up)

Love the tapware we opted for instead of the standard inclusions.

And the super halo shower upgrade. I really wanted to turn it on to test it but our tiling isn’t fully sealed yet in our ensuite.

Not so thrilled with the tiling in our laundry - we paid extra to increase the height of the tiling, the grout lines where the mosaic tiles have been put together are uneven widths (some too wide or narrow) a few of the tiles seem to have too much grout behind them to they stick out and the top where the tiles end isn’t completely straight. Looks like a DIY job I could have done myself (which I seriously considered to save the money but didn’t want it to end up looking like this!)

Mentioned it yesterday and definitely going to be raising it at PCI to be fixed if Wisdom deem it acceptable after their inspections. We only picked this up just before we left so we will definitely go over the rest of the tiling with a fine tooth comb at PCI.

Building Wisdom Aspiration 31 at Willowdale
https://ourwillowdalehome.wordpress.com/

Everything looks great JM, glad your House is finally getting close to completion!

Shouldn’t you have splashback to the left of the sink also?

MandM+4
Jenifermarie
We had an inspection yesterday to check on progress and catch up with our SS properly. We’re now at 26 weeks since our slab went down and 29 weeks since site scrape.

We were due to have final painting done this week but some gyprock remediation took longer than expected so we still only have our first coat done. All our electrical, aircon and plumbing fitoff was done last week.

We’re still waiting for tiling to be finished as well - our slab needed to be squared off for external tiling and some gyprock adjustments had to be done in our main bathroom so the window would close once the window reveal was tiled.

We’re about 3-4 weeks from PCI at this stage (SS reckons 3 weeks unless we have more delays for fixing issues as Wisdom have a QA team that comes in to inspect first, then the construction manager comes in too before we get PCI). The items still outstanding are:

- garage door and driveway (due this week)
- internal and external painting (due this week)
- internal and external tiling to be completed (about 80% finished)
- wardrobe and pantry shelving
- pantry doors to be fitted (opening was the wrong size)
- carpet
- internal doors to be hung (frames are in, doors are painted off the frames)
- mirrors, shower screens and wardrobe sliding doors
- kitchen splashback
- balcony railing and privacy screen
- flyscreens
- door handles and towel rails

Main kitchen area

Butlers Pantry (with bonus husband assessing if it’s up to his standards for washing up)

Love the tapware we opted for instead of the standard inclusions.

And the super halo shower upgrade. I really wanted to turn it on to test it but our tiling isn’t fully sealed yet in our ensuite.

Not so thrilled with the tiling in our laundry - we paid extra to increase the height of the tiling, the grout lines where the mosaic tiles have been put together are uneven widths (some too wide or narrow) a few of the tiles seem to have too much grout behind them to they stick out and the top where the tiles end isn’t completely straight. Looks like a DIY job I could have done myself (which I seriously considered to save the money but didn’t want it to end up looking like this!)

Mentioned it yesterday and definitely going to be raising it at PCI to be fixed if Wisdom deem it acceptable after their inspections. We only picked this up just before we left so we will definitely go over the rest of the tiling with a fine tooth comb at PCI.

Building Wisdom Aspiration 31 at Willowdale
https://ourwillowdalehome.wordpress.com/

Everything looks great JM, glad your House is finally getting close to completion!

Shouldn’t you have splashback to the left of the sink also?

Like this, M?
We were at the landscaping appointment the other day and noticed considerable gap between the concrete and the brick lining at the alfresco. Anyone seen such gap? Please note we are going to tile the alfresco ourselves. From memory the brick and the concrete do not align either.

NavyLion
stevezau
Anyone got recent electrical plans down and upstairs they are willing to share?

I'm doing mine before our appt. Wanting to see others to ensure I don't miss out on things i'm not aware of.

Here you go Steve, it's a bit old 2017 (-:, there are many features and latest technology now I believe. Like entire floor heater, solar roof tiles (if I knew this was available before I will upgrade), wireless security camera and so on.

Thanks! This was helpful. We pre-designed our plans before our appt. Main diff for us, is we went with downlights in the bedrooms.
Has anyone gone with Wisdom to wire up their home theatre? Did you just pre-wire in speaker cables?? Based on my research wireless speakers are getting better but if you can wire them, then write them. But what wiring, traditional speaker wire or RCA type cables?

Also, has anyone wired up alexa? We use it quite a bit where we are at the moment. Figured all I'll need is just powerpoints in the house and light fixtures which it can control but wondering if anyone has done anything more interesting.
stevezau
Has anyone gone with Wisdom to wire up their home theatre? Did you just pre-wire in speaker cables?? Based on my research wireless speakers are getting better but if you can wire them, then write them. But what wiring, traditional speaker wire or RCA type cables?

Also, has anyone wired up alexa? We use it quite a bit where we are at the moment. Figured all I'll need is just powerpoints in the house and light fixtures which it can control but wondering if anyone has done anything more interesting.

Wireless speakers still require a PowerPoint to power them so if you go that way you’ll want to know exactly where they are going to avoid ugly power cables running down wall to a power point.

As far as wiring goes, go for speaker wire, decent quality but don’t get sucked into over the top stuff.

And you need to decide if you’re going 5.1, 7.1, what about Dolby Atmos, lots of decisions?

As far as the big builders go, most have nfi and will rip you off big time for any type of HT wiring.

WRT Alexa, your power points you would plug in a 3rd party compatible smart plug which Alexa talks thru. Lighting you can do the same with a smart light switch but I think the better way to go is normal switches with smart light globes from Phillips Hue or LIFX. Gets back to budget.
Need help.Does anyone has a build with dropped edge beam at the alfresco ?

If so did you notice the gap between the alfresco and brick lining. apparently our SS says its perfectly okay.

Please share your experience.

There’s a brick lining? What is the purpose of that? Wouldn’t you just tile over the concrete alfresco? Didn’t realise they put a brick lining.
gillybean
stevezau

Wireless speakers still require a PowerPoint to power them so if you go that way you’ll want to know exactly where they are going to avoid ugly power cables running down wall to a power point.

As far as wiring goes, go for speaker wire, decent quality but don’t get sucked into over the top stuff.

And you need to decide if you’re going 5.1, 7.1, what about Dolby Atmos, lots of decisions?

As far as the big builders go, most have nfi and will rip you off big time for any type of HT wiring.

WRT Alexa, your power points you would plug in a 3rd party compatible smart plug which Alexa talks thru. Lighting you can do the same with a smart light switch but I think the better way to go is normal switches with smart light globes from Phillips Hue or LIFX. Gets back to budget.

Wireless - yes agree, think wired is better in this case, no delay and better quality. Yes, their pricing for high-quality cables is ridiculous.

Dolby Atmos looks great, but i bet expensive. I'll def look into this option for pre-wiring. thanks!

That's my worry, these guys seem to know how to run wires but if i had to guess can't give you advice on what you should be wiring.
Maybe i need to visit a sound showroom and ask questions first. Then tell the guys what to wire. How painful.

re Alexa, ok ill look into it. We are doing post-handover installs of LED's so I'll prob do it myself. If we go with the module in the plug then ill have to do it pre or it could get messy. too many damn decisions!
stevezau

I have spent hours and hours researching options in this space. Unfortunately I’m not really any wiser with direction.

Chompy
stevezau

I have spent hours and hours researching options in this space. Unfortunately I’m not really any wiser with direction.

I think i'm feeling the same. Spent an hr or so researching but still not sure what to do.

Anything you learnt that is a must don't do?
stevezau
Chompy
stevezau

I think i'm feeling the same. Spent an hr or so researching but still not sure what to do.

Anything you learnt that is a must don't do?

Sentinel will install cables that you source privately. Sandra assured us of this. I can't remember what we are getting privately anymore, might not be speaker related, maybe it was monster or higher grade HDMI?
becks81
Sentinel will install cables that you source privately. Sandra assured us of this as she could. I can't remember what we are getting privately anymore, might not be speaker related, maybe it was monster or higher grade HDMI?

Ah good to know, I'll source them all myself. I have most of them already.

I meet with them tomorrow. My main concern was they are a security company, not a Home Theatre company
stevezau
becks81
Sentinel will install cables that you source privately. Sandra assured us of this as she could. I can't remember what we are getting privately anymore, might not be speaker related, maybe it was monster or higher grade HDMI?

I meet with them tomorrow. My main concern was they are a security company, not a Home Theatre company

Sorry for typo.

Also, you need to know where you want everything to terminate. i.e. how far up the wall etc. we were stumped a few times and had to get back to her after discussing with the other consultants. E.g. we wanted termination point in the upper shelf of our storeroom downstairs (in lieu of the shower in the powder room), I think others are terminating in their under-stair storage, she needs to know at what height that upper shelf is. I can't find the post, but someone asked and answered this recently.
becks81
stevezau
becks81

Sorry for typo.

Also, you need to know where you want everything to terminate. i.e. how far up the wall etc. we were stumped a few times and had to get back to her after discussing with the other consultants. E.g. we wanted termination point in the upper shelf of our storeroom downstairs (in lieu of the shower in the powder room), I think others are terminating in their under-stair storage, she needs to know at what height that upper shelf is. I can't find the post, but someone asked and answered this recently.

Yeah, i'll have to work this out, sounds painful!

This is where we waste to much time research, wish there was a best practice guide on it.
Hi everyone!

We finally have our colours appointment!

Can everyone share what questions I need to prepare for the landscaping appointment?

And any tips around the pool process would be awesome.

Also, has anyone changed from the 90cm freestanding Gas cooktop to something else?

Thanks!
aaron2008
Need help.Does anyone has a build with dropped edge beam at the alfresco ?

If so did you notice the gap between the alfresco and brick lining. apparently our SS says its perfectly okay.

Please share your experience.

Aaron2008, we dont have any lining, not sure why there should be a lining?
GLO
Hi everyone!

Can everyone share what questions I need to prepare for the landscaping appointment?

Also, has anyone changed from the 90cm freestanding Gas cooktop to something else?

Thanks!

We have a 90cm underbench oven and separate gas cooktop going in as well as a 60cm wall oven.

GLO
Hi everyone!

Thanks!

We are changing to induction in-built. It's not cheap. Think another 2-3k for induction then 1.3k for inbuilt.

We are starting our appts tomorrow.
amf139
GLO
Hi everyone!

Thanks!

We have a 90cm underbench oven and separate gas cooktop going in as well as a 60cm wall oven.

We are adding a 60cm wall oven as well. Where did you put yours?
Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

25/02/2024
Wisdom Homes | Momentum Series

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, I am exploring builder in NSW and received a very tempting quote from Wisdom home for their momentum series. I just want to know experience of building…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum