Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Cost of connecting electricity or gas for new built house

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Does anyone know how much would we need to budget to have the electricity or gas connected to our new built house? We're buying house and land package in a new estate. Also, during the building process, how can the builder connect to the temp electricity? Do I need to pay for their generator?
If you're in a new estate most the time they should have electricity connected before your land titles. If your estate has electricity then the builder should be able to connect themselves so you don't have to get involved plus they also pay for the charges.

If your estate does not have electricity when your builder starts then yes you will have to pay for the generator hire which i believe they also add their margins on. This is a provisional cost on our contract so if they don't need it we should get it back. SHOULD anyways. Ours was estimated at roughly $2100

The only thing we are paying for is the water usage.
PEARZ
If you're in a new estate most the time they should have electricity connected before your land titles. If your estate has electricity then the builder should be able to connect themselves so you don't have to get involved plus they also pay for the charges.

If your estate does not have electricity when your builder starts then yes you will have to pay for the generator hire which i believe they also add their margins on. This is a provisional cost on our contract so if they don't need it we should get it back. SHOULD anyways. Ours was estimated at roughly $2100

Hi Pearz,

Thanks for the reply. But how can I know whether that the electricity will be connected before titled? Is there anyway I can check on the land contract?

In my land contract, for all of the services (water, gas, electricity etc.), they were all ticked 'Not connected' & 'Available'. But in the planning permit from the council, there is another clause saying 'Before a Statement of Compliance is issued for subdivision, the land owner must ensure that...Provision of reticulated water, sewerage and underground electricity must be made available to each lot'. In this clause, does the word 'made available' equal to 'connected' or no?

Thanks
bermuda23
PEARZ

Hi Pearz,

Thanks for the reply. But how can I know whether that the electricity will be connected before titled? Is there anyway I can check on the land contract?

In my land contract, for all of the services (water, gas, electricity etc.), they were all ticked 'Not connected' & 'Available'. But in the planning permit from the council, there is another clause saying 'Before a Statement of Compliance is issued for subdivision, the land owner must ensure that...Provision of reticulated water, sewerage and underground electricity must be made available to each lot'. In this clause, does the word 'made available' equal to 'connected' or no?

Thanks

To be honest i didn't look at my land contract that much. It was only after going to tender appointment that we learnt of this cost, drove to our estate and question the sales office about it and she said yes they were going to turn on the lights before XMAS. I would assume this means there will be electricity. If you get streetlights in your area then yep definitely have power.

Ask your sales office/land developer about it. They should be able to let you know more in details.
Even if there is physically electricity available I believe there are still "connection costs" for when you sign up to a particular company e.g. energex/origin etc, isn't there? Same with gas I think. Can't help with the amount, sorry, why not call up a random company and ask? That'll give you a ballpark. OR ask me again in 2 months!
Related
22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

29/07/2023
House possibly built on spring (1960's home)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We purchased a 1960s property that is on timber stumps mostly, and a newer section is on concrete stumps. We had a building inspection initially and they reported some…

23/04/2024
Two storey house construction cost

Building A New House

The price you're seeing for a high-spec 2-storey home in Perth sounds steep, but unfortunately, it's kind of the norm these…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum