Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Dale Alcock at Heron Park - We've Got KEYS!

Page 7 of 9
Melsie68
I like the first one better . I dont have any space left .I have gone wall to wall .but my window is further down .I have about 1.7 m from door to chase . Plenty of room . Ill try and take a photo of mine . Just gotta charge phone a bit more . Mine is more like your first lounge

Thanks for the photo! I think that looks a lot more comfortable to relax in the room than to have a recliners.. which makes the room sort of specific to a theatre feel for watching movie (not as open for family room). I don't think we really need to have a theatre setup in the house anyway as we never complained watching movie from our simple sofa at home we currently have.

Again thanks for the photo, it helps my consideration lot!

archetto
Thanks I just found the bed, love! My partner doesn't want to buy any furniture until house is close to ready
i'll have to try convince him
do you know what the original price was? It doesn't seem to say.

I think its $1399 original price for King bed. So about $300 discount. It has a 16 weeks waiting period though, when is your house finished? If its in the same timeline, it might be a good excuse to buy it now hehehe

jelbell55
Also I was just going to say too.. (Ive been on a furniture hunt too!) have you had a look at Harvey norman for bed frames? I am finding they have a much larger selection and are more reasonable in terms of price. Both Domayne and Harvey norman would source their furniture from similar if not the same suppliers so the quality seems to be pretty much the same when it comes to their bedding.

I have been looking at a bed for my daughter and I can save hundreds at Harvey norman, and a bed suite for ourselves Im finding they have nicer styles and are MUCH cheaper. Plus they always have some sort of interest free option (which I am waiting for a 50 month!)

We didn't really go to Harvey Norman because my partner was already struck by this bed hehe. And yes they may have same/similar suppliers because it looks like they worked together a lot.

We just took up their 50 months interest free offer which is going to end this week. Isn't that the one you're waiting for? Better sign up soon
Yeh who said theatre rooms needed to actually look like a theatre lol . The other side is a stereo system with heaps of speakers which I cant stand to look at .he he . Its more my partners room and sometimes we all go in there to watch a movie . But I really just clean it . Lol .
I prefer the first couch. Like you I'd be worried about the second couch overwhelming a room of that size...but it does look comfy.

We bought our fabric couch from furniture bazaar about 2.5 years ago. They had to come out twice to fix a squeak in the frame. When I saw the frame when they were working it looked pretty cheap and not particularly sturdy. The cushions have held up okay though. I think it was about 2k when we bought it. .. was on the cheaper end compared with couches of a similar style.
jsoetandi
I need another help
so We saw another sofa that might fit the room better. And we need help in making decision whether we should get the sofa I posted earlier or this one below

What I like about this sofa is because it will make a theatre room, an actual theatre room. So it makes perfect sense to have this sofa in there.

My concern is with this sofa is whether it will make my theatre room looks small.

My room size is 4090x3610. This sofa is 3920 x 1900.

So its pretty much wall to wall but do you think im cutting it fine with only 170mm space left( there might be window curtain as well next to it. Additionally, because there's chaise on both sides, Im worried if it will eat the space in the lounge as this sofa is not as slim as the other one and may make my theatre feels small (esp its not 31c either)

Apart from that, Furniture Bazaar is only giving $500 discount on this sofa so the actual price of this sofa is quite cheap already ($3500) so im not sure whether it affects the build and leather quality compared to Domayne. ie. Do you think its worth the value?

Any thoughts?

I have this exact lounge in black...had it for 6 months and it has been great we have purchased it for our theatre in our new house! It is super soft and comfy as specially for watching movies!! But it is HUGE I think a theatre can carry off a large lounge though as what else do you do in there?? The specific purpose of the room is to watch movies etc so a big lounge IMO is needed!
Thanks justlearning and Melsie68!

We just pulled the trigger last Sunday and decided on the first lounge from Domayne. I ended up getting a leather upgrade so I can pick the colour & material that I like. It cost me $400 but I'd rather have what I want than regret not having what I want. I also took the $299 leather protection plan. Total damage is $4000... OUCH!

It took us a bit choosing between two colour of leather. One was light tan and the other was dark brown. I went with the dark brown because its got more gloss and it just looks more masculine! Hahaha.. my wife wasn't 100% sure about my choice but she gave in eventually.

Now... to hold off buying expensive furniture for the rest of the house.. haha
belzey
I have this exact lounge in black...had it for 6 months and it has been great we have purchased it for our theatre in our new house! It is super soft and comfy as specially for watching movies!! But it is HUGE I think a theatre can carry off a large lounge though as what else do you do in there?? The specific purpose of the room is to watch movies etc so a big lounge IMO is needed!

Ahhh.. yeah we're guessing the room will more likely be the place where we will hang out. So not specifically for watching movies. After long thought we decided not to grab this lounge because having 160mm space is a bit too risky I think, especially given we will have a curtain plus considering +/- 100mm error in actual room size or lounge size. Too risky haha.. but it was indeed a comfortable sofa, I'm sure you enjoy leaning on it while watching a movie. I can already imagine how comfortable it'd feel!
It's a close call isn't Jsoetandi .... I think we are going to live with our chaise lounge we have from Dankz for a year or two to get an idea of how we use the room, the buy something that suits.

Belzey good to hear someone who has that lounge loves it, I reckon it would suit both mine and hubby's wish list .. he gets his theatre seats, I would get my chaise!
Marcia
It's a close call isn't Jsoetandi .... I think we are going to live with our chaise lounge we have from Dankz for a year or two to get an idea of how we use the room, the buy something that suits.

Belzey good to hear someone who has that lounge loves it, I reckon it would suit both mine and hubby's wish list .. he gets his theatre seats, I would get my chaise!

You will love that lounge (if you decide to get it). I tried sitting on it and recline on the chaise, it is absolutely comfortable. I can imagine watching a big screen movie in it, EPIC!
jsoetandi
So we've started some shopping to maximize the Christmas/New Year sale that's still happening around town. The missus has been eyeing lots of stuff from Domayne and they have a 50 months interest free on offer as well.

So we went down last weekend to buy some bed & matress and dining set. Here's what we got:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q604/jsoetandi/Lucci_zpsfa05e308.jpg
King Bed & Mattress

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q604/jsoetandi/phoenix_7_pce_zpsd0fb5dbf.jpg
Dining Set (just the table and chairs)

And during our trip we fell in love with this Leather Lounge Sofa. I have a thing for all things Leather and when we sat on this we immediately clicked. We especially love it because it is a double chaise (much wider than the standard chaise) and so it would fit in perfectly on our home theatre room.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q604/jsoetandi/Lounge_zps1a8e2d49.jpg

I could hardly find anywhere else a lounge in this model with 346cm width. And double chaise is something very hard to find (missus loved the double chaise). Our wall on home theatre is 409cm so I want the sofa to fill the back wall as much as possible - lounges around town are generally 310cm wide.

The only thing is its $3200 roughly and we didn't initially budget in that much money for a sofa! What do you guys think? It's from Domayne.. not sure how good their quality is over time, this is the first time we buy from them

I'm SO jealous of your dining chairs - when we were looking, we went to Domayne and I fell in love with those, but they wouldn't sell them separately, only as the dining set - but I already had a table! Love all your choices!
stellabella
I'm SO jealous of your dining chairs - when we were looking, we went to Domayne and I fell in love with those, but they wouldn't sell them separately, only as the dining set - but I already had a table! Love all your choices!

Thanks stellabella! My wife spotted that one (actually all three of them!)
Just a little more progress. We now got roof tiles and white plaster is starting. Love our roof tiles.. especially since we are the only house with roof tiles in the street we are in. Our roof gave it distinct look compared to the colorbond around us. Funnily, house in front of us currently being built, is actually the same house design we have! Luckily they upgraded their front looks so its not looking like a twin!

Also, I still feel very glad everytime I walk in to see DAH had mistakenly made my entry 31c. Its such a huge difference! I only wished I had put recessed ceiling in my theatre room, as it looks a bit small at the moment.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q604/jsoetandi/72337868-7B54-4230-A79D-728F2EDEEC18_zps9ojlnnrn.jpg

On the furniture end.. we've been messed around by Domayne with our selected leather being discontinued at their factory. Went back to choose a different leather and found out later its also discontinued. We went back the third time already contemplating on cancelling the couch, but lucky they had one leather that is still within my liking. Fingers crossed its not discontinued too. :S

Anyway, we're going for holiday the next 2 weeks.. so look forward to see how much difference when we returned
Most probably lock up already as the white plaster and ceiling is starting this week.
Love the tiles!!! So much can happen in 2 weeks!
2 weeks after our tiles went on we were locked out and our skirting had been installed. Cabinets would have too expect for our hotplate issues. A lot to look forward too
jsoetandi
Just a little more progress. We now got roof tiles and white plaster is starting. Love our roof tiles.. especially since we are the only house with roof tiles in the street we are in. Our roof gave it distinct look compared to the colorbond around us. Funnily, house in front of us currently being built, is actually the same house design we have! Luckily they upgraded their front looks so its not looking like a twin!

Also, I still feel very glad everytime I walk in to see DAH had mistakenly made my entry 31c. Its such a huge difference! I only wished I had put recessed ceiling in my theatre room, as it looks a bit small at the moment.

On the furniture end.. we've been messed around by Domayne with our selected leather being discontinued at their factory. Went back to choose a different leather and found out later its also discontinued. We went back the third time already contemplating on cancelling the couch, but lucky they had one leather that is still within my liking. Fingers crossed its not discontinued too. :S

Anyway, we're going for holiday the next 2 weeks.. so look forward to see how much difference when we returned
Most probably lock up already as the white plaster and ceiling is starting this week.

I wouldn't freak out over the theatre too much - the room is going to look much bigger by the time it is plastered/painted and full of furniture. Its always so depressing looking at rooms in construction as they look a LOT smaller than when they are complete with painting/flooring/lighting/furniture etc - I am sure it will look great!
Love those roof tiles they look great! Sounds like everything is coming together quickly... can't wait to see some pics
Hope you enjoyed your holiday!
Got back from holiday last week and during that time the house was at lock up. This morning we had a tiling meeting with the SS and was very pleased to hear that the expected date for PCI was somewhere along mid April, which brings handover somewhere end of April!!! Gosh.. just over one month away and we haven't even started packing up!!

Tiling should be underway soon. So far the cabinetry has been installed and its looking really good. The tradies had really done a very good job so far. Fingers crossed there's not much problem along the way

Here's some pics of our progress to date:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q604/jsoetandi/813195DE-2C94-44A2-8F22-FDE0D5D330ED_zpsqpbecmjy.jpg

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q604/jsoetandi/A4E19715-37B6-4262-8998-4386E873161C_zpstqzvoicn.jpg

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q604/jsoetandi/648FDA78-FE54-4A4F-9646-4BCDE2401F1A_zpsc8uvehah.jpg
herbie1986
I wouldn't freak out over the theatre too much - the room is going to look much bigger by the time it is plastered/painted and full of furniture. Its always so depressing looking at rooms in construction as they look a LOT smaller than when they are complete with painting/flooring/lighting/furniture etc - I am sure it will look great!

Thanks Herbie, yeah I think its always like that during building haha although this is my first time, that's probably why.. I think with my furniture selection the theatre wouldn't be too bad

jelbell55
Love those roof tiles they look great! Sounds like everything is coming together quickly... can't wait to see some pics
Hope you enjoyed your holiday!

Holiday was amazing. We went to Bali and it was as beautiful as usual!
Glad you had a great holiday!

Wow I can't believe how quickly everything is going for you... I love the design of your kitchen.. your cabinets look really good
So finally we are able to find a time to meet with our supervisor and have another walkaround the house. This time the tiling is complete, and they are booking us in for a PCI on the 23rd of April. How exciting!!

There are still more to do such as the flooring, painting, paving and some other installations. I hope it don't get delayed and they get to do all this withing the week! Fingers crossed

In the meantime, here's photo of my tiling. We did not go with the traditional white tiles (we just didn't think of it during selection) so I was worried we are putting too much colour in the bathroom. But after seeing the result, I felt at ease. I think it looks better than I imagined.. and even though its safer to use white tiles, I think these tiles gave a bit more character to it.

What I'm unsure of is the way they mount the bathtub. There seems to be some hob going around the bath but it cuts off at the front. Is this the usual way to do it? I'm not sure what's the reason.. my wife dislikes it but I didn't mind it as I think it looks a bit like a feature. What do you think?

Anyway, here are the photos:

Kitchen splashback

Master ensuite (notice the bathtub hobs)

Shared bathroom (the same bathtub hobs. The tiling gap near the cabinet will be tiled)

Look forward to PCI!
I LOVE your colour choices for the bathroom! I went safe with white tiled walls and a dark grey floor tile, but this looks amazing
Love the colours together! I think it adds a lot of warmth and think you have both done an amazing job at picking all the colours. I LOVE the kitchen splash back.. it adds so much more character than white. Bathrooms look really good too. Colours work great together. I think I would have to agree, the hobs look like a really nice feature and I really like it!!! Makes it look more fancy

Congrats on the PCI date, you must be happy that it is just around the corner. Fingers crossed everyone races to the finish line for you. How exciting!
Look forward to seeing some more pics of the last few bits and pieces come together
Related
6/12/2023
Anyone got owner builder permit to build a duplex in NSW ?

Owner Builder Forum

If so what were the "special circumstances" under which it was granted? "Note: If the development consent is for 'dual occupancy' an owner-builder permit can only be…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum