Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Things your BUILDER forgot..

Page 1 of 1
So in the spirit of the awesome "things you forget" thread (this one- http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5823&start=740 I thought it would be a good idea to make one on what your BUILDER has forgotten to do lol.

So far we have had
-Numerous items requested pre start that I wont even mention.
-Power lead in and meter installed on wrong side of house. Builder now has to run cables up through roof and out the other side after frame goes up. (plans and variation were signed with it in the correct spot 6 months ago).
-Forgot to order treated timber roof trusses....seriously how do you stuff up a whole house frame!?
I'm sure theres going to be many more!

So we know alot about what we as clients forgot...what about your builder?
Not sure "forgot" is the word ... but I'd like a second go at a few things.

When you view a plan you don't always "see" the outcome clearly.

I'd like to move a few things - but its too late I'm afraid ...
Hi Konrad,

Our builder "forgot" to make sure our overflow relief gully was above natural ground level. This means that in order to have the same level around the house now we need to excavate below our foundations or raise the overflow relief gully (which apparently constitutes a major defect). Don't rely on the surveyor or the builder - get yourself a reliable building inspector.
ours forgot things at prestart!
we had a list of stuff to change and went through it twice with the lady and she said she understood it. it was after we signed the final plans that I realise that it wasn't done.
Saint Mike
Not sure "forgot" is the word ... but I'd like a second go at a few things.

This!

so much we'd change...

location of meters is a start!
This thread is a great idea to start, will be subscribing to this.
My builder wasn't going to include a powerpoint in the roof for the heating and cooling units and wasn't going to have a manhole in the single story part of our house.
I think that you should remove the LOL for the topic title because there will be some people that weren't LOL when the picked up the mistake.

Just a thought.
Ours forgot to connect the storm water piping.
Every bit of rain meant our front yard had an impressive water feature and water gushed all over the footpath.
This carried on until around 6 weeks after we moved in, numerous phone calls and emails being ignored, then I threatened legal action against the plumber and the builder who both signed off on it being done.
Funny, they were on site within the hour after that.

"Forgot" to plumb WC and bathroom exhaust fans to outside despite it being clearly stated in the documentation and listed as being required by council.
what I notice a lot of is builders not discussing what is missing, or assuming their customer knows what has been removed to bring costs down...

quite a few of the people around us were surprised to discover their houses did not have sarking, of course they discovered this after the roof was on.

we were surprised to discover (after we started to ask a few very specific questions) that there was no standard insulation around the garage, nor insulation around the laundry (to keep out the machine noises) nor internal insulation around the bedrooms (to keep the bedroom noises in the bedrooms)

it's all a bit strange really.

yet in defence of our guys, the quality of the finished product is awesome, they are very picky, you just have to be VERY careful looking under the skin of everything.
Our rear neighbours builder didn't connect storm water just hooked up to a single open ended pipe going under the fence into the block we eventually purchased. Needless to say became fairly obvious when our builder went to dig trenches for our sewer connection. Builder refused to rectify for the neighbours until council became involved.
Related
1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum