Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Placement of house?

Page 1 of 1
Hi just looking at the papers and i can't seem to work it out, what would be the best way for the house to sit? Along the front is the river and views, anyone got ideas for getting the best of of the views? Not done anything yet, still looking for builders and plans.
Cheers Lorri
Lorri
Hi just looking at the papers and i can't seem to work it out, what would be the best way for the house to sit? Along the front is the river and views, anyone got ideas for getting the best of of the views? Not done anything yet, still looking for builders and pland.
Cheers Lorri

You might want to be a bit more descriptive, that's very little to go on.
Have you got a site plan?

It really depends on where you are, your aspect ie: north, south, east or west as to the best placement..
As the others have said you might need to provide more details but personally I'd want at least one of the front rooms to be a living area to make the most of the views regardless of its north/south/east/west
Are you having a pool, outdoor area etc? Want to maximise sunlight to those areas so it will depend on orientation. I think the energy certification may dictate where windows are to some extent.
These 2 documents are not much help, they only shows the title and location.
You might need to look to see from your documents where if any connections are available. ie: electricity, water, etc.. Also which part of your block you are allowed to build your house. ie: building envelope. You better find these out before you look at where you want your house to face. The more you find out the better, this will help you more on budgeting.
Another issue you will need to think about is the 1 in 100 year flood level.

Your house will need to be above this, the higher the better.
Hi no problem with getting flooded, the block is very steep. One of the photos shows where the power lines are, might be going solar looking at that!

I worked out how to copy a g earth, if you look in the top right hand corner you can see the way north is pointing. Excuse my drawing of the plot but it give an idea of where it is.

We would like a house that has some outdoor areas to sit in to enjoy the sunshine, , no pool , and I don't have any idea where to put the house re a building envelope, nothing on the papers we got say anything.
Cheers
Hi Lorri
posting to follow.
Usually the shire or developer will have a diagram of where the building envelope is.

North orientation to enjoy the sunshine is the best, so if you can choose a plan that maximises the views and has north facing living areas you are half way there... where will the access road be?

What a beautiful spot
Hi Treeseachanger, the road is a shared driveway that goes between the house next door and our lot, on the map is says its 20mt wide but in reality is is not, its a reserve road, something i never heard of before.
The land was subdivided my 5 acres cut off a big block and another 5 acres of the other side of the big block, not sure if it was done at the same time or not. The owner has the bigger middle block still.
Cheers Lorri
As a few of us suggested, you better try to find out the building envelope for your block first. If it is sub-divided, most likely there is a building envelope in place already. It doesn't matter how big the block is.. 5 Ha or 5 acre, if the building envelope is there already, you are in good luck. All you need to do is to work out the slope on there and driveway etc.. if not, there are much more need to be done before you can even start.
Rang the council and they said 5 meter gap at the sides and back of the house and 20 mt from the front, so i can build pretty much anywhere on the block unless fire people say otherwise.
That's good, you also need to find out where the power run in is. The longer the run, the more expensive it is. So you will have to factor this in to wherever you place your house....
Hi the power poles end down the road so no power, we will have to go solar,was told it cost a fortune to get connected to the grid. Same with water and toilet ect. So will be pickng everyone's brains lol
You are right that it is going to cost you a fortune to connect to the grid, same for other services too. But don't forget that it will also cost you quite a bit to be completely on your own as well. ie: solar power, rainwater tanks, septic treatment etc.. These things cost quite a bit too. It's a good idea to check to see if your council has anything specific requirements for these too.
Related
18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

2/05/2023
Preventing rust around steel house posts

General Discussion

You’re on the right track, wire brush in a grinder then a zinc rich epoxy primer then a top coat of some sort, like a waterproofing membrane. Raising the concrete would…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum