Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Stellabella's second build - work stopped...again - 1 month+

Page 11 of 12
Update...no progress. We keep hearing that they should start 'within a week or so'...but still nothing. QBCC approved the claim at the end of January, it took them about a month to prepare the contract and documents for signing (which were returned signed the following day). We received a text from the supervisor last Wednesday saying he'd like to meet us on site when he had a start date scheduled - "hopefully within the next week" - but have heard no further.

We did get a call from the electrician to have a chat which is something, although he wasn't aware that construction (frame) had even started. I've since received a text from Energex, so he's at least started lodging paperwork.

We've had more rain here and I just want the roof on! There is only about two days worth of carpentry work on the frame before the roof can go on, and it's so painful that this hasn't been able to be scheduled yet. Especially since the office manager pointed out in an email on 11 March that they needed to finalise my CABINETRY as a "matter of urgency" because the frame was unprotected. I have provided them with information either the same day or the next business day after it’s been requested, but it seems like we just keep getting pushed to the bottom of the pile. Hoping the whole build doesn’t continue like this
Anything this week?
Yes! DH called the SS on Tues last week. Conveniently, the chippies were just about to head out there. That afternoon, we received the commencement notice from the office- completion date as per contract is 11 September (baby due 23 Aug). Met SS on site on Wednesday and talked things through, pointed out things to make sure they weren't missed, etc. He said (I'm hoping jokingly) "we'll have you in by Christmas" - I freaking hope so!

DH had to meet him out there again today to discuss towel rail nogs. I'd text him about the location asking if I could mark it on the plans, but he insisted on meeting someone. They've said the roof should start this week.

Surely if they schedule it well enough, they can have us in before the baby's born - that's what I'm hoping for, anyway!

Yay!!! Finally something! Im sure he was joking about Christmas. Our date is October, Im hoping August however
Quick update: SS wants to meet on site again tomorrow morning as they made need to make the bath in the main bathroom smaller to fit the shower. I told him I didn't mind, that I had my big bath in the ensuite, but he insisted on meeting.

He let me know on Thursday that the roof would be on Tuesday (so we're a week and a half in, and already a week behind).

I dropped a load of stuff to the shed on the weekend and the gutter, facia and battens were on, and there has definitely been work done on the frame, so at least there's some work done!

Yay, finally something. Fx you have a roof in the mext couple of days
Met SS this morning. Had to look for something in the shed, so got there a bit early and figured I'd have a chat to the chippies until SS arrived. Got there, no one on site. SS arrives and says "Yeah, the chippies should have been here, not sure where they are". Great! Sorted out the things he wanted to talk about, nothing major - just bulkheads, shower framing etc. Still said roof starting tomorrow - hoping for no rain!

Roof is on - builder has invoiced us for frame stage. We had a contribution amount we had to pay before the bank would draw down, but I thought we also had a credit from QBCC our retention amount. The office manager is on holidays at the moment and no one else knows about it, so we've had to pay the full amount. Bit annoying, but not surprising anymore.

Just had a phone call from the building inspector (who I know personally), he thinks there is fungi on the frame. He's recommending builder has it inspected and treated. He's going to cc me in when he sends them the report, I think I might send to QBCC - this along with the mould on the slab is a bit too concerning.

It definitely looks funky...
Your timber work and your other construction has been exposed to weathering it shouldn't have experienced for, what, 12 months?

Questions you must have answered:

What obvious physical timber deterioration has taken place?

What is the timber's moisture content?

Has ponding on slab continued to allow water to wick up into frame timbers?

Is there evidence of decay fungi on the frame?

You used H1/2 timber, has the protection been leeched? Is the warranty intact?

Have metal fasteners, nails and so on, become loose?

How has any timber sheeting used stood up to the weather? (and if it's newish, what racking occurred in its absence...arg!)

What has been the impact of weather exposure on your termite protection system?

Looking at your recent photos. Are those new pieces of timber bridging the frame and truss area? Why, what is their function? Has framework/trusswork shrunk?

There is a potential can of worms here for you as the years go on.
Sorry for the lack of updates everyone! Been a crazy week or so here.

I've sent an email to the builder/consulting company/QBCC regarding our concerns and those of the certifier, however most of them seem to be having this week off.

We went back to the house after receiving the email from the certifier, and we can definitely see the black spots he's talking about, but they are not over the entire frame - maybe four or five areas. We've basically insisted that someone qualified inspect (and, if necessary, treat) the frame with regard to the moisture issues.

Other issues we requested clarification on, going off the certifier's email:

- If there are issues with the frame in the future (moisture or otherwise), is it QBCC or builder who are responsible
- Termite barrier company have been asked to re-warrant their product

Along with some other minor items.

Enough about that (for now), some progress!

When we visited site on the weekend, the windows and SGDs had been delivered, along with the 3 poly tanks.

We visited again today (this time with DH as he hadn't seen the roof yet), and were pleasantly surprised! Ply bracing has been replaced where necessary, walls wrapped, windows and SGDs installed, and Hebel nearly finished! We think they are starting the cladding on Friday.

Hopefully we receive a reply to the email early next week, as I'm pretty sure the plumber and electrician are roughing in late next week and obviously any required rectification work needs to be done asap.

So pleased you got some progress finally!
alymei
So pleased you got some progress finally!

Me too! Although new builder is not great at updates, so if we hadn't gone out, we'd have no idea...last builder (sigh) did weekly updates with photos. Another difference that is really noticeable, especially when we don't get to site too often.

We also heard back from QBCC regarding the fungi issue - they have advised the consulting company to do an inspection of the frame and prepare a scope of works if necessary for rectification. I'm happy there will at least be someone qualified checking it. Have not had one word from the builder about it, no response from the four(!) people there I cc'd into the email.

The s/s did message me today asking me if we'd like the soffits raked - the plans weren't clear so he wanted to check. I let him know that was fine with us if it worked for them - I thought it would be easier not to have them raked (I'm thinking now they have more cladding to do?) but if that's what they want, then sure!

Also realised our front door (pictured in previous post, black with louvres next to it) is wrong
and it's my fault so not sure what can be done. Initially through previous builder it was to have horizontal black strips across it, to create the look we wanted (and also avoid the motif), but when the new builder sent it through to me to check, I was just checking the sizing and the louvre and didn't pick up that the lines were no longer shown
we are organising a few things directly with that company ourselves (screens to hinged doors, etc), so I'm sure they'll add the strips on for us, but the motif is not just a sticker, so I guess it's there to stay. Totally my fault though.
What happened this week?
Hi Stellabella. I'm just refreshing my old thread and noticed you were building again. We're getting ready for our 2nd build too.

You're handling the builder situation very well. Very good to see that frame protected now - fantastic roof line on your place too.

Please keep us updated, I'll be following with interest.
Whats happening with your build now?
Hi all,

Sorry for no action lately, but...there's been no action! Nothing has happened since my last update
and we aren't sure when work will start again. Basically the rep from the consulting company said a microbacterial treatment would be organised for the mould/fungi, but while he was inspecting he noticed that some of the gangnail plates for the trusses were becoming detached. He and the builder were going to organise for the truss company to inspect, have the plates replaced and recertified...but then I didn't hear anything. Next thing, the builder is telling me that QBCC and the consulting company have organised an engineer (not sure what type of engineer/where from) to inspect the frame and trusses, as it looks like it may need to be partially replaced. The engineer was to inspect last Thursday 23 May, and the company doing the microbacterial treatment yesterday.

So last thing from the builder was "As soon as these reports are received we will then be able to determine what action/s needs to be taken, and what extension of time will be required to cover the lost time. We’ll be in touch as soon as we have an update for you.".

I think I'll give them til tomorrow and then contact them, as unfortunately I don't have much hope that they'll actually contact me if I don't contact them first. We've pretty much lost hope that we'll be in by the time the baby is born now, doesn't feel like we'll be in at all really! It's not just the lack of work, it's the lack of communication and we really just don't feel like we are any kind of priority because of the situation.
Omg thats awful to hear!!! Hopefully you get some news tomorrow but Id be stamping my feet I think. How frustrating
Any update?
Related
28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

27/03/2024
Forest adjacent with stonework -Colours for our second dwell

General Discussion

We are building a second dwelling and are currently selecting window and door frames. We want to blend into the forest and also bring out the stone work and the fake wood…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum