Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Garage non-rectangular shape on irregular block of land

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Need some feedback and suggestions. We purchased a block of land which is irregular shaped. The builder (Boutique Homes) has done the siting with the extended garage (we wanted triple) (see attached) and only went up to the building envelop. The estate has mentioned that the garage can go all the way to the boundary (see where I marked in red) which would make the garage non-rectangular. We want the garage to extend all the way to the boundary

The builder has advised us now that if we were to extend to boundary (red):

a) council won't approve such garages
b) garage would not stand properly

I really don't want to have 2 gaps between both sides of my house so would appreciate your feedback or suggestions.

Probably not the answer you wanted, but if that gap on the plan between the garage and the fence is 3 or more metres, then you could get vehicle access to the side and back of your property, which some would say it is worthwhile.

Of course if you could get your triple garage with a roller door in the back, you could also drive through to the back.

Your image is too small for me to read the print on it, but if you could extend it out to the left edge of your red box, you could still put in a back roller door instead of a PA door for access to the backyard.
Thanks for the response. The red outline is the extension to the garage (the double has been extended to the building envelop and the red lines indicate how I would like for it to be extended even further to the boundary. There will be a roller door in the back of the garage for drive through access.
You do not state which state you are building in. In WA you can have boundary walls that are no more than 1/3 the length of the block. I have done pretty much what you have mentioned except I have a double garage with boundary wall with the rear of the garage being drive through to provide access to a triple garage at the rear of my block.

As Bpratt states the pic is very small, I would be worries about the room to the rear of the garage and whether there is enough width but I assume you have that covered.
Hi, we are building in Plumpton, Victoria

Below is a bigger photo

The "maximum extension" box is what the builder has sited but I am trying to get it build upto the boundary.

I dont know where you are but where i built in QLD council allowed a 'nil' boundary on garages as long as it wasnt habitable and no windows ie. brick face wall, however a 'nil' boundary is still 250mm off the actual boundary itself... so perhaps you can't build smack bang on boundary but you may be able to build up to it if that makes sense?

ours you can't see its on the boundary because of the garden in front (you could do same ot hide the wedge gap you will have if you follow the line of the boundary

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/njectme/House2/house2_zps35be9244.jpg

actually here it is when built:

and here as a slab as you can sort of see ther eis about 200mm space from boundary... we fenced it but alot of ppl dont and use the wall as a fence

and above view

Wow that is a really nice home - I love the landscaping and the brick colour. Our builder says we can build right up to the boundary but the issue is that the block of land is not rectangular, meaning that the garage would also not be rectangular.
Ok what if you kept it rectangular but loose the wedge of land, so from the front and inside it looks symmetrical, build up to boundary at the back and fill the void with rocks or concrete and put a small fence to block it then plant in front..

i can't see the distance to boundary from the back but if its big enough for the 3rd car garage do a drive though so you can still access back yard for machinery and storage of trailer etc...

Hi there,

You are building on an almost identically shaped block to my brother (here is the link to his thread viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63503&hilit=rex777).

Without knowing the City/Council, I can't really advise as to whether you could successfully argue for a garage extending to the property boundary. In my experience, unless you have a mate on council, they are reluctant to negotiate any rules and regulations that apply to your build.

I don't think two gaps is particularly bad. As bpratt mentioned, if you were to extend your garage as marked by the builder, and put a rollerdoor on either side, you would gain vehicle access to the rear of the property. You can appreciate how that could be advantageous.

Well that's my two cents anyway.
suspct
Ok what if you kept it rectangular but loose the wedge of land, so from the front and inside it looks symmetrical, build up to boundary at the back and fill the void with rocks or concrete and put a small fence to block it then plant in front..

i can't see the distance to boundary from the back but if its big enough for the 3rd car garage do a drive though so you can still access back yard for machinery and storage of trailer etc...

Wow that is great and might actually be a good alternative. Hard to visualise these things so appreciate you doing a mockup. I was concerned for having land not utilised and having a gap between right side of garage and fence attracting vermin.

The 3rd car space front door would need to be setback 50cm to meet estate guidelines but could work (for a very small car).
Related
15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

12/02/2024
KDR - non-inclusions from Overseas

Building A New House

Thanks. There are plenty of builders around my suburb. I'll make sure to do some door-to-door knocking, or note their building details on the temp fence.

7/03/2024
Framing timber size needed for a double wall system in non-l

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Long story short, a toilet room is going to back onto our main bedroom and I want to make it close to soundproof. Im going to build two frames (pretty much a room within a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum