Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Questions for your builder.

Page 1 of 1
I would like to put myself out there for all of you who have problems and questions for your builder or tradesperson. Its no secret from reading many posts in here that there seems to be a few problems.

Now…let’s not bash the builder or tradie .. Let’s try and get around it in a rational way.

I do this often for my clients and builders….the go between…. Piece maker on the site.

Its important to remember it’s not what you say….but at times, how you say it that gets results. Talking to your builder and said tradesman…..plumber, tiler, PAINTER…is very important while building.

Having constant communication while building is the key! Walking off site in a huff because of what you have just seen is not going to help the situation. Stay there and discuses your concerns, you will get far more respect from a tradesperson if you talk things through calmly and rationally with them.

Now…having said all that I am more than willing to give you advice on any situation that has arisen onsite that you need to talk to your tradesmen about.

Yes I’m a decorator…..but I know a lot about building and I know how to deal with the tradesmen! More importantly I know how to talk to them!

So, if you feel the need to vent and have something to say to your tradesperson and you would like to know the RIGHT way to get your point across feel free to ask here or PM me.

I will try and help you as best I can so building matters don’t escalate to poor communication.
Hi Michelle,

We ask our builder every thing and he is fantastic so this question is really for some tradies that go to our site

" Why do you think it is alright to leave your rubbish every where in the house. Two bins are supplied for all your Mc Donalds, Kentucky fried chicken boxes, half full mikshake cartons and empty drink bottles. Why cant you at least put them in the bin 4 steps away. Did you know that the lovely home owner picks up your mess every few days"

Seriously Michelle, why do they do this? I know I shouldnt sweat the small stuff but I just dont understand the logic of blatant littering when an empty bin is made available for their use.

Mrs B
Mrs B said,
Quote:
Why do you think it is alright to leave your rubbish every where in the house. Two bins are supplied for all your Mc Donalds, Kentucky fried chicken boxes, half full mikshake cartons and empty drink bottles. Why cant you at least put them in the bin 4 steps away. Did you know that the lovely home owner picks up your mess every few days"

Seriously Michelle, why do they do this? I know I shouldnt sweat the small stuff but I just dont understand the logic of blatant littering when an empty bin is made available for their use.

Because they simply just don't think of it.

We had a builder join our canoeing group many years ago - and driving down the road heading to a river one weekend, he wound down the window and threw out his milk carton.

We stopped the car and he asked what are we stopping for - to pick up the rubbish he'd tossed

He was dumbfounded.

But we converted him

Eventually - and now he is a tidy builder who has changed to picking up others rubbish onsite

All it takes is a bit of education and thought of ones actions.

Steve
Mrs B
Hi Michelle,

We ask our builder every thing and he is fantastic so this question is really for some tradies that go to our site

" Why do you think it is alright to leave your rubbish every where in the house. Two bins are supplied for all your Mc Donalds, Kentucky fried chicken boxes, half full mikshake cartons and empty drink bottles. Why cant you at least put them in the bin 4 steps away. Did you know that the lovely home owner picks up your mess every few days"

Mrs B

A neat and tidy house/building site or whatever usually encourages
tradesmen to take pride in their work,on that particular job.
Hopefully will they will follow by example
Mrs B
Hi Michelle,

Mrs B

Mrs B….whist being involved in a 2Mill home….I was pulled aside by the owners of the home to discuss the rubbish the boys were leaving around their site. Inside….as well as outside.

I suggested they leave bins right were the guys had set themself up with a meal area, in the family room. This they had already done…..and they guys were still just dumping their stuff on the floor.
I myself was pretty grossed out about seeing apple corse, orange peals, and rubbished just checked wherever!!! NOT ON!

So…….I pulled the builder aside…. Took him to the room the boys had setup as their own private TIP, and showed him. Even though he ate there everyday with the guys, and was probably just as much at fault…..he neglected to see it or notice it.

But once I pointed it out to him, and made mention the clients were pretty upset over it and had spoken to me to see if I could do anything……things changed!

I also had to point out, this was not their home…….so care needs to be taken, see that it happens!

Mrs B…..go there one day, while they are all onsite….pick up all the rubbish that you see and put into a plastic bag. Then wait till they are all having lunch…..sitting in their time doing their thing,
and empty the plastic bag on the floor in front of them!

Take a seat opposite the guys while they are having lunch and say……….”We need to talk guys!”
Point to the pile of rubbish now at their feet…..and start to discuss your annoyance at their rubbish dumping and is there a way you can get them to be tidier onsite??? How can you help them make this easier for them???

SMILE……but look them in the eyes……you are now being assertive in a NICE way.
Tell em if they get their **** in a pile you will get them a carton of beer at the end of the project…..IF they get it right!

HINT everyone………….if you want a good job done or a job done fast……….a slab of beer is a great tool of bribery!

I should add here….. as a big thank you….a slab of beer is always good as well!!!
Hi Michelle,

How funny
and I wish I could do that in real life. I'm afraid I am not an assertive person but I do make my feelings known to my builder when something is not quite what expected. The problem is, we have had up to 3 trades there at a time. The carpenter crew are spotless, we think its the other trade guys. I am going to talk to the builder but I dont want him to think I'm some lunatic complaining about a few papers hehe

Hi kevin, I could not agree more! if you work in a tip then a tip it becomes. An organised, effective worker most often has a neat work space, builders included.

Hi Steve, I know what you are saying...several years ago my best friend who is a tradie bought macs and proceeded to throw all the rubbish out of the window. I had a massive argument about it and would you believe he did not talk to me for about 3 weeks. He was TOTALLY CLUELESS why we dont litter

Mrs B

Mrs B
No probs Mrs B……it has taken me a long time to get to where I am now with the tradies!

Just make mention of it to your builder……if that doesn’t work, then it just means you doing a good clean. As we both know that is probably the best way to go anyway!
Quote:
HINT everyone………….if you want a good job done or a job done fast……….a slab of beer is a great tool of bribery!

how absolutely true this is.

Ive known some people to go to their jobs with slabs each friday

and even bring fresh baked cookies every few days

does it pay off for them. yes I think it does
braveheart

Second thoughts braveheart?

There was nothing wrong with your post.
bec
Quote:

how absolutely true this is.

Ive known some people to go to their jobs with slabs each friday

and even bring fresh baked cookies every few days

does it pay off for them. yes I think it does

The same building crew that built the 2 mill home I was talking about, built my home, I don’t recall a mess back then.

But the builder himself has told me how much they loving doing work for older people, because they are supplied with scones and coffee all day!!!

Didn’t happen at my build.
Related
2/09/2023
Questions to ask a builder before you begin?

Building A New House

Ardo That is so funny! I wonder how many people know who Larry Haun is these days. I have a couple of young guys we call Mo 1 & Mo 2 who run a crew of 6 boys and…

18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum