Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

House Build: Made all the wrong choices.

Page 2 of 3
Lorri
Love those led ceiling lights, what are they called and where did you get them please.
Lorri

On Ebay.com.au
worktime
Ponzu
I think he was trying to insinuate that data cabling is superceeded by wifi. Clearly hes never dealt with large volumes of data or played online games

Still though, 100 data points? I cant image a use for more than one.in every room at the most. How will these be utilised?

As I used 3rd party I was only charged $15-20 per CAT6 data point run because there were so many of them (bulk discount?). My builder wanted $165 for each data point.
So if you think about it, for $1650 I would of either got 10 data points through a builder or 100 data points through a 3rd party data cabling team.

The data points are split between connection A+B. The NBN permits 3/4? separate individual NBN connections. I will be running one for business and another for home. So say a room has 8 data points, 4 will be allocated to business only static IP, and the other 4 will be home use. I have also based the data point numbers on current usage at my existing house. Right now, in every room of the house there is only 1 data point and I have a switch running 24/7 to split the connections. I have worked out that the energy savings and initial cost of setup of buying each switch will pay for these data points after 5 or so years.

this still doesnt make any sense - grats on teh saving, but 100 data points means 100 points to connect devices or hardware to. How many devices do you actually think youll be plugging into those points? I would argue you wouldnt even utilise 20% of those points.

Switches running 24/7 means zero - Are you going to be transmitting and reciving data across 100 points 24/7 at 1GB/s. This type of set up uisnt even common in a tech SME, let alont a residential home.

I cant imagine any aplication that would require that much ongoing transfer in and out of a home. are you running SETI from your lounge or something lol?

example - Lounge room - Smart TV, what else requires the remaining 7 data points? I would assume mobile devices would just use WiFi. We could probably strech it to a smart fridge in the kitchen (actually we coudlnt, because smart fridges and smart appliances are commonly WiFi).

8 data points in your master bedroom - 4 for business and 4 for home. What are you going to be doing in your bedroom that requires 2x4x1GB/s data points? If youre doing cam shows I can see one point for business and again i can see a smart TV on th epersonal line.... It just doesnt make sense. It actually looks like overkill.

There are businesses running server rooms with less connections.
Ponzu
I cant imagine any aplication that would require that much ongoing transfer in and out of a home

Perhaps the owner is into LAN parties?
But that would require a massive upgrade to the electrical system, 100 computers on at the same time will use a lot of juice.
I will be running many devices so it quickly adds up.
+60% of those peripherals can be networked through a smart tv, righeo. Also wired sonos? Whats the point of having wifi hifi and then wiring it into your network? For all your consoles a dedicated ethernet port lol. 2 computers per bedroom and a voip phone and a printer? Voip is usually daisy chained via pc or vice vesa. Is there any beds in your bedrooms?

I dunno. Looks like a fantasy house of a 14 year old. I think im not bothering feeding here anymore.
Ponzu
+60% of those peripherals can be networked through a smart tv, righeo. Also wired sonos? Whats the point of having wifi hifi and then wiring it into your network? For all your consoles a dedicated ethernet port lol. 2 computers per bedroom and a voip phone and a printer? Voip is usually daisy chained via pc or vice vesa. Is there any beds in your bedrooms?

I dunno. Looks like a fantasy house of a 14 year old. I think im not bothering feeding here anymore.

?? You need a bridge which connects to your router. You've used a Sonos before right?

The Sonos BRIDGE connects to your router so that all of your Sonos components can work wirelessly in any room. http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/bridge

Pcs are run 24/7, can't daisy chain them.
We also have a lot of data points, not 100 though. We have approx 2 to 4 per bedroom, more in the study, a few in the family room and theatre room, a few in the mancave where the audio/visual equipment is kept, and then some for our future intercom/front gate, telephone etc.

Hubby is a licensed cabler so did it all himself. We have a massive cabinet in a hidden location in the house that houses the massive data cabinet (close to six foot tall) and the data cabinet contains all the devices for the house as well as the patch panels ie. Foxtel boxes, NAS drive, alarm system, CCTV system, UPSs etc. With everything in one location and data points in all the rooms we can patch things to anywhere.

As hubby does it himself it keeps the cost down which makes it more affordable.
What model switches are you using?

Ponzu
+60% of those peripherals can be networked through a smart tv,

I don't get this comment? Networked through a TV? A TV isn't a switch :/

worktime
Ponzu

The Sonos BRIDGE connects to your router so that all of your Sonos components can work wirelessly in any room. Have you "ever" used a Sonos before??? http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/bridge

You used quotation marks unnecessarily. Makes about as much sense as your cabling. You said sonos main speaker, not bridge, the bridge has no speaker so wth is a sonos main speaker, and why is it wired? Have YOU ever used sonos before? Lol
onggie
What model switches are you using?

Ponzu
+60% of those peripherals can be networked through a smart tv,

I don't get this comment? Networked through a TV? A TV isn't a switch :/

A good smart tv can act as a patch bay for almost all the av equipment mentioned. Given you're using it all on that tv, just makes sense.
Ponzu
A good smart tv can act as a patch bay for almost all the av equipment mentioned. Given you're using it all on that tv, just makes sense.

The last thing I would be doing is using a TV as the switch it would most likely be a bottleneck. I have 5 runs going to my rumpus for all the various electronics and even then if I ran out I would use a dedicated switch.

100+ ports is excessive but I know exactly where the OP is coming from. We have over 30 ports for a single story for only 2 people.

A Cisco 50 port switch cost me $500 delivered from Amazon. I only need two to support 100 ports and they are highly energy efficient and can support 1gbs per port. If I go with your solution, how much $$$ would I need to spend buying a Tv at each location. Would You trust your tv to handle mission critical data? Maybe in the theatre room...

Sorry cap/spelling mistakes as I'm on an iPad.
Ponzu
worktime
Ponzu

The Sonos BRIDGE connects to your router so that all of your Sonos components can work wirelessly in any room. Have you "ever" used a Sonos before??? http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/bridge

You used quotation marks unnecessarily. Makes about as much sense as your cabling. You said sonos main speaker, not bridge, the bridge has no speaker so wth is a sonos main speaker, and why is it wired? Have YOU ever used sonos before? Lol

you knew what I meant. Even if a networked a Sonos, so what? My reception might be bad in this room, if so the Sonos would need a Port. You did not factor in any of these things before going on your name calling rants.

How exactly do you daisy chain an Ethernet port to a VoIP Poe phone and computer that runs 24/7 on a static ip, please enlighten me.

Hey I'm all ears if you got solutions. All my networking requirements now are based on existing usage at my current dwelling but I added an extra 20% extra capacity.
How are you terminating the wires to your rack? Is sitting inside or in the garage? Curious as everything is terminating into my study but with the amount of ports I have I am using 6 port wall plates which terminate into a patch panel. I didn't need the patch panel, I only have it for looks :p

HomeAngels
We also have a lot of data points, not 100 though. We have approx 2 to 4 per bedroom, more in the study, a few in the family room and theatre room, a few in the mancave where the audio/visual equipment is kept, and then some for our future intercom/front gate, telephone etc.

Hubby is a licensed cabler so did it all himself. We have a massive cabinet in a hidden location in the house that houses the massive data cabinet (close to six foot tall) and the data cabinet contains all the devices for the house as well as the patch panels ie. Foxtel boxes, NAS drive, alarm system, CCTV system, UPSs etc. With everything in one location and data points in all the rooms we can patch things to anywhere.

As hubby does it himself it keeps the cost down which makes it more affordable.

Are you in Victoria and is your hubby interested in weekend work?

onggie
How are you terminating the wires to your rack? Is sitting inside or in the garage? Curious as everything is terminating into my study but with the amount of ports I have I am using 6 port wall plates which terminate into a patch panel. I didn't need the patch panel, I only have it for looks :p

Because of the sheer number of cables they couldn't fit it with the studs so it will come through the garage roof and into the server cabinet. The end product will probably look like a kitchen range hood/ac pipe that goes into a cabinet. The wires will be going thru patch panel.
Ongie -so for three gaming consoles that can be used one at a time per tv, using the tv as the switch for those would bottleneck what exactly? Do you see a need for a dedicated port for each console?

Worktime -What are talking about? youre so far off the track from what im talking about it feels borderline manic. Were talking about your lounge and your 11 devices that all have their own dedicated ports. Not about adding smart tvs in every room. Why would you do that when you have 2 pcs, a printer, voip and foxtel in each bedroom ? That would just be crazy, dont you think?

I reckon you should get a smoke machine to go with your led strip lighting that turns your hous into a rave.

as to daisy chaining - its exactly what I have at work poe voip phone and another cable comes from my phone to my laptop for network access. I dont see what is hard to understand about this?

Also for the record there hasnt been any name calling, just guffawing.

Anyways. I have to rwmove myself from this thread.
I don't have a tv in the media room. Just a projector. How do you LAN up 3 consoles to a projector?
I know bugger all about all this stuff, but wow.
I had to rewire my engineering teams building and that was only 98 ports, for an operations planning building for a large mine.
Related
28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

1/11/2023
New house colour is wrong!!

General Discussion

welcome to learning that colours vary in different lighting conditions.

21/12/2023
Brass or Stainless steel made tap for Kitchen

Bathrooms and Laundry

Brass or 2) Stainless steel made - which Kitchen tap is good for drinking.Brass kitchen taps in Australia contain lead…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum