Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Floor Plan feedback please

Page 1 of 1
Hello all, I hope I've come to the right place. We plan to extend our Californian Bungalow and any feedback on our floorplan would be great! We are a family of 4 but regularly have approx 10 people in our home on a weekly basis.

We are keeping the three front rooms (BED 1, LIVING and DINING). The rest is new (ground and upper floor). The last plan had an alfresco but worried that we were trying to shove the alfresco in at the expense of a really spacious family/meals and kitchen. However, we will have a deck just off the back steps.

Please, could anyone provide feedback on my floor plan? My pain points atm are:
- internal laundry may cause damp issues so was planning on not having a dryer. Would love to find a better location next to a window but can't work it out without ruining the square-ness of the family/meals and kitchen area.
- walk-in pantry is nice to have but would sacrifice if I could get the same shelf space from a corner pantry in the kitchen.

Any help would be appreciated! Most of you will probably appreciate my husband and I are losing sleep over this!

Many thanks!

To increase ventilation why not just join pantry and laundry into one space. Might be able to get rid of the door in the hallway. Separate bench tops/ areas by keeping wall frames the width of the bench. Does that makes sense? Sorry obviously not a builder:/
I would have thought that you would be able to run an exhaust duct from the laundry through the pantry to the outside. It will be at the back of a top shelf so will be well out of the way.

We currently have an internal laundry and as long as the exhaust fan runs we can tumble dry without any problems.
What am I missing? Can you not swap the laundry and pantry? About dryers, what about a condenser dryer? I'm thinking about that, it might of been on this forum where I heard of it, sounds good.
JazzyJess
What am I missing? Can you not swap the laundry and pantry? About dryers, what about a condenser dryer? I'm thinking about that, it might of been on this forum where I heard of it, sounds good.

Exactly what I was thinking. There may be a way of swapping the pantry and laundry. Or get a condenser dryer so dampness isn't an issue.
need no dryer, use sunshine and natural wind
yes, i'm serious
clothes smells great!
Just throwing some ideas out, but have you considered flipping the kitchen to be along the outside wall? Does that make sense? Then you could flip the laundry and pantry.

I have a condenser dryer, works well but does heat up the room, which could be a good thing in winter etc.
trambay
yes, i'm serious
clothes smells great!

That's a good point

I barely use my dryer, I prefer my inside clothes airer instead. I don't like clothes lines as I often forget to take the clothes back in
why not flip the back end of the house side to side. Then you could use the under stairs space to extend the pantry and have the laundry close to the wall for exit and venting etc. Also because you gain the storage space under the stairs you could make a door way through to laundry as well (suggested above)

Just my 0.02

Ciao
Mark
Pellana
I have a condenser dryer, works well but does heat up the room, which could be a good thing in winter etc.

Thanks for that info Pellana. I'm not after a dryer as the main way of drying everything but sometimes it would be good to have, the only problem being the most likeliest times I'd use it is when there's a spell of rain and that's exactly when I can't leave the laundry door open because of the lack of protection from a roof overhang, so I was very interested when I read that there are dryers that don't need the room ventilated. I know another idea is ducting the dryer but thats not a straightforward solution for us.

mjhoty
. . internal laundry may cause damp issues so was planning on not having a dryer . .

It's not clear to me whether mjhoty might want a dryer and is only stopped by the fact of the laundry being internal, but it's always nice to have flexibility with your options in the future.
JazzyJess
Pellana

Thanks for that info Pellana. I'm not after a dryer as the main way of drying everything but sometimes it would be good to have, the only problem being the most likeliest times I'd use it is when there's a spell of rain and that's exactly when I can't leave the laundry door open because of the lack of protection from a roof overhang, so I was very interested when I read that there are dryers that don't need the room ventilated. I know another idea is ducting the dryer but thats not a straightforward solution for us.

mjhoty
. . internal laundry may cause damp issues so was planning on not having a dryer . .

It's not clear to me whether mjhoty might want a dryer and is only stopped by the fact of the laundry being internal, but it's always nice to have flexibility with your options in the future.

Thanks JazzyJess...I would love the option of a dryer but was willing to forgo as the Laundry seemed to fit best in that spot.

Thanks all for your suggestions...I might look into the condenser dryer or an exhaust fan ducted through the pantry. Fingers crossed, it works out.
HomeAngels
JazzyJess

Exactly what I was thinking. There may be a way of swapping the pantry and laundry. Or get a condenser dryer so dampness isn't an issue.

Yes, I thought this too but it means I am going through my kitchen to get to my laundry and I would need to create 2 doors, one for pantry and the other for laundry...a waste of cupboard space in that case. Didn't fancy making 1 room out of laundry and pantry as I fear the damp might get into the pantry contents...if that makes sense.
Pellana
Just throwing some ideas out, but have you considered flipping the kitchen to be along the outside wall? Does that make sense? Then you could flip the laundry and pantry.

Thanks Pellana...unfortunately, BED 2 is an original bedroom we want to keep...was hoping to have that tucked away as a study.
I think we must be talking about 2 different things, what I was thinking didn't have any impact on bed 2. Oh well. re the condenser dryer, it definitely doesn't put out moist air, it is all dry air and hot.
trambay
yes, i'm serious
clothes smells great!

exactly, natural air is good or if you're using a dehumidifier? hang your clothes there and will surely dry fast
double purpose..
Related
7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

25/05/2023
Floor plan review

Building A New House

i thought the flipped plan initially but bec i want narrow pathway from entry to dining (dont like bend), also cannot fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum