After going through almost 12 months research on builders, houses, options, upgrades, and pricing. We obtained quotes from 4 volume and 3 custom builders.
During this process lost initial deposit with PD. It was a tough decision to leave PD Hoffman 39. But what can you do when main priority is find something special which will suit our family requirements (3 young kids), and lifestyle.
it was time to go ahead and finalize builder, and house selection.
14m x 35m (490 sqm)
our block is reasonable sized, but we though with double storey house it will still give us 14m x 10m backyard. no plans to build
a pool, so will do the job for us.
plus it is much bigger than block of our current house (370 sqm).
initial deposit: June 13
titled: Nov 13
settled: Dec 13
contract: Mar 14
site start: 29 Sep 14
slabbed: 16 Oct 14
framing stared: 23 Oct 14
framing completed: 3 Nov 14
framing completed: 7 Nov 14
colourbond roofing started: 10 Nov 14
colourbond roofing completed: 2 Dec 14
Insulation : 09 Dec 2014
plastering started: 10 Dec 2014
plastering completed: 15 Dec 2014
Bricks started: 16 Dec 2014 still work in progress 4 Feb 2015
Staircase installed: 16 Jan 2015
Axon Cladding/eves installed: 30 Jan 2015
Brick work completed: 2 Feb 2015
Doors installed: 2 Feb 2015
Architrave and skirting boards: 2 Feb 2015
Stone bench top: 2 Feb 2015
Basins installed: 2 Feb 2015
Lockup: 2 Feb 2015
Eves completed: 11 Feb 2015
Downpipes installed: 16 Feb 2015
Paints started: 16 Feb 2015
Stain completed: 18 Feb 2015
Paints completed: 24 Feb 2015
Tiling started: 24 Feb 2015
All door installed: 24 Feb 2015
Fixing Stage completed: 24 Feb 2015
electrical fit out: 10 Mar 2015
gas meter installed: 13 Mar 2015
NHP/PCI: 20 Apr 2015
NBN installed: 27 Apr 2015
Handover: 6 May 2015
Moved on: 6 May 2015
Backyard work started: 11 May 2015
Fencing concluded: 20 May 2015
This house ticked all main requirements. it offers almost no waste of space. staircase isn't impressive, but will do its job reasonably well with storage underneath. living area is very spacious, and would be centre point for us during the day. alfresco is part of the house and has openings from both living, and dining with nice wooden stacker doors. i always wanted a bedroom downstairs, study was large enough to serve as a guest/single bedroom (on demand).
Sahara Q1 with following options:
1. Guest bed in lieu of Study with double door. it will remove one side wall window, and add a double door cupboard.
2. Grand dining/Gaming option. this will make whole house 1.1 sq bigger. good to make house bigger specially gaming upstairs.
3. heating upgrade with 4 zones and network controller.
4. front wooden windows.
5. free upgrade to double glazed for all windows was a no brainer.
6. broadway facade with part render.
7. Luxury electrical pack. it covers all downlight LEDs (39), and the rest.
8. flooring pack (carpeting all upstairs, and guest room, and theater downstairs) laminate flooring the rest downstairs.
9. security alarm.
10. niches (580 x 300 x 90) in each shower.
11. flush panel door to access area under staircase.
12. pantry glass door - Merbau stain.
13. laundry as per Aston display.
14. cabling for intercom.
15. gas capped point in alfresco.
16. water point beside refrigerator.
17. water and power point in ceiling for evaporative cooling (post handover).
18. extra studs above all windows for curtains.
19. extra noggins for ceiling fans.
20. sliding door at the end of entrance to make zoning. This door will separate living/kitchen/dining area from the rest of the house.
We are in process of finalising our colours, as colouring appointment is fast approaching in couple of weeks.
After going through different colours and textures of bricks, and prices (off course) we shortlisted Austral Homestead Tan. with our facade its part render, and half of first floor would be covered with Axon cladding. so this means bricks area is limited.
whole house with single bricks (Austral Homestead Tan).
facade with Daniel Robertson Hawthorn Tan blend (my love ), and rest of the house Austral Homestead Tan. (might save some money here
whole house with Daniel Robertson Hawthorn Tan blend. this will cost substantial, and we need to cut down on few other upgrades.
one half side of the house (first floor) will also be axon cladding.
both are neighbours will have their garages with our house, this makes me think that side wall won't be exposed from street. this might help to view sudden change in bricks from the street.
has anyone tried using two different bricks, i.e. facade with one brick, and rest of the house with another one? whats your thoughts are on this?
Also feel free to throw ideas on colours, would appreciate that too
a big thanks to Dan for giving us visuals for our selections.