Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Classic cream OR paperbark???

Page 1 of 1
Hi. We have decided on our bricks & roof colour. Bricks will be PGH harvest gold with monument colourbond roof. We can't decide if we should have classic cream or paperbark for our roller doors, 10cm render around bay window & the fascias??
I phoned PGH for local houses using the brick & they directed me to the one in the photo below, the front had not been painted yet, so it gives an idea of what both classic cream & paperbark would look like with the brick & roof colour.

What is your favourite with the chosen brick??

http://s1035.photobucket.com/user/Mishl ... sort=3&o=0
Just to say... Classic Cream (AKA Primrose) has been out of fashion for about 8 years, it is showing no signs of recovery (but I am sure it will.... one day). But in it's heyday some builders used this exclusively... and it was 2/3 of the market.

Ed
ed @ ecoclassic
Just to say... Classic Cream (AKA Primrose) has been out of fashion for about 8 years, it is showing no signs of recovery (but I am sure it will.... one day). But in it's heyday some builders used this exclusively... and it was 2/3 of the market.

Ed

I 100% agree with the above. I used Classic Cream as a roller door AND render colour in 2005.
Along with my beech kitchen…..
*cough*

Paperbark is a much nicer colour (doesnt yellow like Classic Cream does) and will give a similar neutral effect, just more clean, crisp and contemporary.
Thanks guys
I don't seem to see many houses around with paperbark actually, so was worried it wasn't a very popular colour. Maybe the houses I look at for inspiration are too old LOL
Seriously though, at the end of the day it's your home and if you really love a colour, you should just go for it. There'll always be people who dont like something you do - or would have chosen something different etc.
I really like Paperbark and wished it had've been an option for me back then, I've seen quite a few Paperbark rendered facades and they are lovely.
Dont get me wrong Classic Cream is nice (I mean I did choose it once!) but it really does look very yellowy and quite old straight away...
If you are planning on selling it in a few years then you should try and go with the colour that is least likely to become unfashionable or dated, I would probably err on the side of paperbark in that case.

However, if you plan to live in it for the next 20 years and as everyone has differing opinions on colours, get whatever you like best, it's your house and in 20 years every house on the street will be out of fashion anyway.

We are in the process of building and chose classic cream roof with paperbark gutters and facias and will also have a classic cream garage door.

The render on the front pillars will end up being Warm Neutral:
http://m.dulux.com.au/trade/colour/p/P13/252397/warm-neutral
and the windows are Merino, which I believe is the same as paperbark.

In our estate, with a few hundred houses already in, there are only a handful with light coloured roofs, and ours is the brightest by far. Some may find it ugly, but we love it. We also have been in the unfinished house on a hot (38 degree) day and the house was pleasantly cool, which is one of the main reasons we wanted a light coloured roof and double glazing.
i think both look nice but paperbark is nicer, i wish we had of chosen paperbark for our render colour, we chose it for our windows and our downpipes, not sure why we didnt choose it for our render :/
We had picked classic cream for garage door and fascia, but changed garage door to paperbark a few weeks ago. We found classic cream too much of a stand out but still good as a highlight for the fascia.
Thankyou guys
I'm def leaning towards the paperbark now! I thought the same, that cream may stand out too much.
Hachy, at least render can easily be painted
roller doors are a bit more expensive to just change.
Hi mishl_123, I have chosen Harvest Gold for my house with paperbark windows and gutters and I think it looks nice together.
That's great vladmari, ill have to keep up to date with your build for pics
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum