Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Oxidisation (rust marks) on bricks and Mortar

Page 1 of 1
Has anyway experienced oxidatisation stains (rust stains) on their bricks and mortar. My brickwork was completed a while back and about fourweeks after bricks have been cleaned this rust like stain is appearing on some of the bricks and off white mortar.

I have a brick from Austral called La Trobe.

I will try to get a pic in next few days

I had my meeting with S/S today and he is not worried but I can see this issue dragging on.

I am building with PD how are they at dealing with these type of issues

Any advice would be great
Hi stevec,

I remember something mentioned in our contract re: this... some sort of protection against this problem on bricks.

I'll check the contract and will update you tonight.
thanks VJ I will check mine as well. I will try to get a pic tomorrow
See below regarding either the iron stains (acid burn) or the vanadium stain.

http://www.australbrick.com.au/national ... enance.php

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1399

We had this problem, too. And asked for the bricks to be cleaned again before handover. I found more again during our warranty inspection and we were advised to wait for our 12 month inspection to ask for it to be cleaned again. Something about letting the sun burn it off.

Anyway, just ask for them to clean it again and I think you'll be fine.
stevec,

i checked our contract...

when we upgraded our bricks, it includes 'neutralising to avoid vanadium staining where required by manufacturer'

so i reckon anything like that would be fixed by our builder.

looks like it's not a major issue, based on the link that YSSIM provided... so don't worry too much.
Related
10/07/2023
Orange rust spots one driveway

Building A New House

Very common on rendered homes Smaller suppliers get the lower quality raw materials

21/01/2024
rust on house I Beams

General Discussion

THanks , l got a licensed building inspector to look at the rust, he said its just surface rust and it would take many years to become a problem because the beams are so…

8/01/2024
How should l remove rust from steel i beams

General Discussion

if l cannot get a sandblaster would a sander with sandpaper be better then a wire brush

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum