Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Wisdom Impression- what do you think?

Page 1 of 2
Hello forum buddies,

We are building a home, and now that the time for construction draws nearer, I seem to be getting nervous about some things.

Here is my main fear...

Below is a picture of the front elevation of our home (I have also included the floor plans). I am concerned about the balcony window. In the original plan it was a double sliding door, however, I didn't want to walk through the robe to get onto the balcony so we changed the plans a little. The window on the balcony is now fixed, and we will be able to use the wall on the other side as hanging space. We now get onto the balcony through a door in our bedroom (a timber door with opaque glass).

Ground Level

First Floor

Do you think this looks ok?

Is it normal to worry this much?

Thank you for reading...and thanks for your replies if you would like to share.
I think what you have done is better from a privacy perspective.

If you are worried about the look of a wall, you could soften it up with a vertical garden against the wall and below the window. Main challenge would be getting watering system up to it. Alternatively you could just remember to manually top it up.

It would make it a fabulous oasis!
Thank you Maximus
A garden is a great idea!
I think it'll look fine. The balcony will block the view of most of that wall anyway, especially from street level.
Thank you kidsbuggingme. I appreciate your reply
Personally, I would have done the same thing. Design wise it looks good and the master suite is still practical!

When does your build commence?
Hi JandJ, we are out of council and there are pegs on our block- so we are hoping it will be soon...fingers crossed for a slab before Christmas! Not holding my breath though
Has yours started yet?
Fingers crossed for you. How have you found the process with wisdom so far? Did you opt for many upgrades?

Our land is due for registration in March, so getting admin sorted now and can hopefully begin in April!
So far Wisdom have been good. There was one hiccup during admin that took a while to sort out but I should have been onto them quicker instead of being patient.

We have not gone overboard with upgrades- the Prestige package is very good. We spent about 3,000 in electrical and an extra couple of grand in tiling and kitchen. We spent around 600 with the air con guys (an extra control panel and zone).

What are you building?

I hope everything happens on time for you- it's an exciting process, but sometimes I am afraid to open my email because you never know what's coming! There was one week last month where every time I checked my email, there was a request for more money! It's all good though- I don't want to sound like I am whining
Yes - that was one of the reasons we chose Wisdom, due to their inclusions.

We're building an Aspiration 29. Made a few design changes, so looking forward to seeing the draft plans during tender presentation this Friday!
JandJ_OneMinto
Yes - that was one of the reasons we chose Wisdom, due to their inclusions.

We're building an Aspiration 29. Made a few design changes, so looking forward to seeing the draft plans during tender presentation this Friday!

How exciting!

I wonder if you will have the same tender presenter that we did? I look forward to hearing how it goes on Friday. So far we have been very happy with Wisdom. I love the inclusions- very nice.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

- you might like to upgrade the carpet underlay. The standard underlay is very thin (We paid $1200 to upgrade the underlay)

- the standard pantry door is a plain wooden door (like a bedroom door). If you want a door from the same laminate as your cupboards, that is extra (I think it was about $600 for a double door)

I don't know about other people but these are two things I didn't expect to have to spend money on.
We have Steve. Has been helpful so far! Same presenter?

Thanks for your notes. How did you know the carpet underlay needed upgrading? Do you choose carpet through Di Lorenzo, or are they tiles only?

We have opted for a cavity sliding door to pantry!
Yes. We upgraded both the pantry doors and the carpet underlay. Hope your journey will be a smooth sailing.
Hey JandJ,

DiLorenzo are the suppliers for tiles and carpet. It was good because we got all of our flooring organised on the same day. The inclusive range (for tiles) is massive. There is also a good range of carpet. When we went for our appointment, the woman was very helpful- I was so indecisive. Even though we had been over there about five times, I still couldn't make up my mind!

We looked at the standard carpet underlay and saw that it was extremely thin- it reminded me of cardboard! We asked to see what else they had and we could really notice the difference.

We didn't have Steve- ours was fairly helpful though.

A cavity slider- great idea!

Thank you for your well wishes, cpaces. I hope everything is going well for you, too.
kez+pete, when is your build starting?

We had our tiles and carpet appointment today and upgraded everything. I couldn't help myself, lol.
Hi Kidsbuggingme, I am really not sure- our land has been pegged out, but we are waiting on the final costing for the BAL requirements. Our CSO emailed and told me that she has passed it on to her manager, since estimating has taken so long to do it (they have had it for over 4 weeks).

Ooooh! If you don't mind sharing, what did you upgrade on? I love shopping!!
We have upgraded pretty much everything in the house. I'll have to start my own thread now

We have grey semi-polished porcelain 600x600 throughout the main areas, some other 300x600 porcelain tiles for the floor and feature walls in wet areas but they have a rough texture to them, and some white 300x600 for some of the walls as well. The rough tiles are the same as these
(they are on the floor in the Impression display at Homeworld 5).

For carpet we are getting the Godfrey Hirst eco+ in Summer Storm colour (http://www.godfreyhirst.com/au/carpet/p ... pet=Summer Storm)

Our house will be shades of grey, black and white mostly.
Sounds lovely. I struggled to pick tiles. I thought it would be a lot more fun than it was- lol. I am so indecisive!!

I will look for your thread and subscribe to it. Where are you building?
We're doing a knock-down and rebuild at the bottom of the Blue Mountains.

Don't worry about being indecisive - I've got to redo my electrical appointment next week because I have changed my mind about a few things
Congrats on your build, look forward to following your progress
Related
6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

27/06/2023
Wisdom home facade

Building A New House

Hi, guys! If you've built with Wisdom Homes, would you mind sharing images of your front facades once they're all rendered? I'm considering signing up with them for a wide…

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum