Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How clean is a "clean site" after a build?

Page 1 of 1
Hi!

Just wondering, when it's all said and done and it's time for handover, exactly how clean should I expect a "clean site"?

The empty boxes, broken tiles and wood bits are gone, but there was cement spread out in chunks all over the place and those are still there, tile chips etc.

Just wondering what I should be expecting.

Thanks!
The "clean" they do isnt a "move straight in and live in it" clean. They should remove all debris, rubbish and building waste and wipe down the surfaces, vacuum/sweep up the floors, wiped down basins & toilets etc.
BUT in my experience, the result is varied and what individual people call "clean" as opposed to the next person is up for debate as well!
You should expect all the above and probably some light dust, little bits etc that you'll need to spray & wipe over.

Again, I know people have pushed this and demanded a full sparkling clean, but I was happy enough to run over the light dust and spray & wipe the surfaces to my own liking.

As for the site, the major debris is gone, pallets, bricks, wood, tile shards - but I still had little bits of waste in the soil, stuff that was hard to pick up. Not much (you could tell they'd really tried) but there was a bit of residual "stuff" left over.
How long is a piece of string ...

Inside - it should look like a house that has been cleaned - but not always spotless. Really have a good look about and record everything not right. Check taps, lights, doors, etc etc. AND - look up - at air con ducts, lights, cornices etc. Many people wander through and don't look up.

Outside - All rubbish should be gone, block should be clear - BUT ... who knows what lurks beneath the surface. When you dig the garden etc you'll find a myriad of bits and pieces ...

Depending on soil you may find rock they used as a truck base. Broken brick and anything that happened to escape the eye of the supervisor. I'd have a good look about the block at your handover. AND - list things if they should be moved - why should you have to do it ?
Friends tell me the builder's clean won't be up to scratch and you will basically have to do another full clean before moving in (and probably after, haha)
To answer the OP's question: not very!

My Mum and I went to the site regularly during my build (at weekends) and cleared up some of the debris in attempts to avoid the soil being full of junk after everything was done. Some tradies just seem to be particularly messy (for example throwing their lunch rubbish on the ground inside the house or putting other rubbish in a pile near where they are working as they are too lazy to carry it the whole 2 metres to the skip). I probably would have had a half eaten sandwich sealed into one of my walls cavities if we hadn't cleaned up! A lot of the stuff that they throw on the ground can be sharp/dangerous in years to come (eg nails, pieces of metal) especially if you have kids.

As others have said, your builder will clean up the obvious mess on site before they leave but that level of clean is usually nowhere near what you would do yourself.
I'm looking forward to cleaning my house for the first (then probably only) time!!
Thanks for the responses.

On our "practical completion" walk-through, the place looked pretty clean, bar plaster dust and a few things here or there, but we were told that everything would be re-cleaned prior to the final walk-though.

As for the outside, that's where I'm more concerned. The site has sections of crushed brick and cement chunks (as previously mentioned). I don't want to have to do it, since it is my understanding that we'd have a "clean site". By that I don't expect it to be ready for immediate landscaping, but I don't want to have to take boot loads to the tip for disposal.
How much cost need for cleaning a house before move in?
The cleaning the house is part of the handover, we're not directly charged for it. We're charged as a part of the total, I'm sure!

As for the backyard, I don't know how much it would cost us to clean up all the debris that's left on the site.
Related
28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum