Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Chicken or egg? Plan or quote?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am planning to build a large 5br house and a granny flat (part of the same building).

My lot is a bit unusual: corner block with 21m frontage (the other frontage is 25m). It looks like I will need a custom design.

If I go with a particular builder and draw the plans with them, I end up being locked with that builder, because the copyright of the plans belongs to them. Is it possible to find a builder who will allow you to use the plans they make with another builder?

If I hire my own architect, I may end up with plans being rejected by the builder simply because they are too expensive to build.

I am also considering these guys: http://buildingpriceprotection.com.au/

Anyone had any experience with them? How do people manage to get multiple quotes for one plan without hiring their own architect?

Thanks.
If you have an idea of what you want, speak to a draftsman to get some preliminary drawings done and have a chat to your local council about the possibility of it.

Once you've done that , speak to some builders and they may be able to give you some idea of costs or how design might be changed to make things cheaper (either in materials or labour). Then go back to draftsman to get final plans done and submitted.

Bit of a run around but best of worlds and you always retain control (except for when council makes you change things).
Is this true, that custom plans are 20% or so more expensive?
Fisher75
Is this true, that custom plans are 20% or so more expensive?

Generally, yes. Volume builders benefit from economies of scale. Asking for one-off frames etc, while still having the same quantity of materials, cost more because they are not bulk ordered/made. It's also more work for the drafter / engineer / town planner due to 'from scratch' design.

Additionally you have regulation issues. I.E: getting it to conform with arms-long lists of standards. It's all time for someone, somewhere.
Is all this 20% of the project?
Related
8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! ๐Ÿ˜Š so, itโ€™s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

7/08/2023
Kitchen Quote advice please!

General Discussion

I was being kind to the builder. With the amount charged for the upgrade the builder is probably charging closer to 100% margin. There are a few variables as I…

29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum