Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Minimum Study Size?

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I'm just after some opinions on how small a study can realistically be.

We finally found a house design that is close enough to what we want it only requires minor changes (it's extremely close to the custom design I made up and was going to take to builders). The main difference is my plan doesnt have a study but two WIR to the master, one large and one small. The professional design has one WIR and then a study to the front, the study is 2.77x3.5.

I might be crazy but I was thinking instead of changing the study to a second WIR (like my custom design), we could put a second door from the master into the study. I can then use the "study" as a dressing room/WIR, but for resale it could be a nursery/study.

I want to widen the entry way to accommodate double doors without increasing the width of the whole house and master isnt wide enough to take from (3.55m).

So my question is, what do you think is the minimum width we could get away with the study being? Could 2.4x3.5 be acceptable?

We plan to be in this house around 15 years if that makes a difference.
I think 2.4x3.5 is acceptable for a study but the second door might make the layout pretty awkward. Where were you going to put it?

ETA- looking at the plan though, I'd add the space to the master rather than the entry.
The house design I'm looking at has a study of 2.4 x 2.7 - so I reckon you'll be fine
Ari
I think 2.4x3.5 is acceptable for a study but the second door might make the layout pretty awkward. Where were you going to put it?

I was thinking second door to bottom right corner. Figured you'd just put furniture in front of it if you didnt use/want the door?

Ari
ETA- looking at the plan though, I'd add the space to the master rather than the entry.

I'll add space to both if I can. Just enough to get double doors to entry (maybe 0.2m?) and whatever is left to the master (maybe another 0.2m?).

Or maybe I would be better off making the study a proper WIR easily giving the extra space to both entry/master bigger like my original plan....

Related
5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

29/10/2023
Sewer line minimum depth in NSW

Building A New House

Hi, only for walking. It is a narrow 1.5m paved area next to house.

3/04/2024
Front setback minimum requirement for battleaxe plot

General Discussion

Thanks Draftroom that definitely helps a heap. We are still at the very early stage of planning to see what kind of house would fit on our plot. While we are on a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum