Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Tiling - to screed or not to screed

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We are putting Timber look porcelain tiles in our new build.

I have contacted two tilers in our area who have been recommended by the tiling company and both have said that screeding is not required.

I thought with larger tiles (ours are 1200x300) that it was imperative that the floors are screed. Can anyone help? Or can anyone recommend a tiler who will come to Mandurah who has laid these tiles previously and knows exactly what to do with them.
I'm just going to tell you our experience with timber tiles without any screeding.

We had our bathrooms tiled recently and one was with 150 x 900 timber tiles and the other with 300x300 porcelain. All tiles had rectified edges. Neither bathroom got screeded.

The 300x300 look terrible as it's a shiny surface and any hint of them not being flat or lining up just stares you in the face. The timber tiles on the other hand look perfect. Some of them were even bowed. I think the style of the timber tile and the lack of shine really hide any area that is not perfectly flat and it gives it character like a real timber floor.

If it were me then I would be saying Yep no screeding (save $) but if there are any major obvious dips/unevenness then I want those dealt with before the tiles get laid.

Your timber tiles are a lot bigger than mine though so not sure if that would make a difference?

Good luck
Oh and a random laying pattern helps hide any imperfections as well and looks amazing
my tiler tried talking me into a pattern but nooooooo!!
My understanding is all wet areas needs to be screeded in order to achieve the fall required for drainage. Not sure why yours is not screeded.
Our wet areas were not required due to the slab just being sloped towards the drain and not recessed
Sorry all I should have mentioned that the tiling is not through the wet areas.
We are tiling everywhere but the wet areas and bedrooms (our builder is responsible for tiling the bathrooms).

Just a bit confused as all suppliers of recitified tiles specify that floors must be screeded but every tiler I speak to says the contrary
I was also told that screed is not required on concrete slab. They will use a self leveling compound or something.
englewestern
Hi All,

We are putting Timber look porcelain tiles in our new build.

I have contacted two tilers in our area who have been recommended by the tiling company and both have said that screeding is not required.

I thought with larger tiles (ours are 1200x300) that it was imperative that the floors are screed. Can anyone help? Or can anyone recommend a tiler who will come to Mandurah who has laid these tiles previously and knows exactly what to do with them.

Hi,

Did you tiler end up screeding? I have a similar situation but the tile size is bit bigger, I'm planning to use 1200 x 600.
Related
15/05/2023
Screed bonding agent for external applications

Flooring & Floor Covering

Before you rip it up, if you can in the grout lines, drill some holes and pour/inject techgrip by sika. I have used it to bond mdf to timber, but in the process it dripped…

30/07/2023
Screed - is this an issue

General Discussion

Hi all, We're curring working on our outdoor and have some questions in relation to screed. I've tried to find information online, without success. Apologies for the…

15/12/2023
Hydronic in screed -> insulation underneath necessary or no?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Currently renovating, and our main lounge is 5m x 10m, with a cathedral roof peaking at 6.5m high. Currently have tiles on concrete slab. Room is very hard to heat. I am…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum