Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Eden by Dale Alcock in Aveley - Complete

Page 2 of 4
I believe Silvarbullit's build is already complete, it's near to where I am currently building in Aveley and it looks great.

The Eden's front elevation has a certain presence and I congratulate those who chose this design because it looks really great
Yes Hootie that was one of the things we loved about the Eden was the elevation. We have basically stayed the same as the display minus the wood deck (we are having exposed aggregate) and adding cedar-wood lining to the portico ceiling. I've been meaning to document our build of the Eden for a while now. (Did it on another forum but that has since closed) I have all the photos of each of the stages so it will be a mighty quick build log if I do it as we are on the verge of completion. If there is any interest of course?

solrak
...I've been meaning to document our build of the Eden for a while now. (Did it on another forum but that has since closed) I have all the photos of each of the stages so it will be a mighty quick build log if I do it as we are on the verge of completion. If there is any interest of course?

I would say yes, please...always interesting to read another's build progress and with pics
solrak
That makes 3 of us building the Eden. PCI is less than 2 weeks away for us in Brabham
Where are you building Jemima P? Did you make many changes? I would say Silvarbullit build would be done and dusted going by the date of the last post.

Hi Solrak, thanks for pointing out the date on Silvarbullit's post, I missed that...

We are in the very early stages of looking to build, but the Eden is our pick if we go ahead. We're in the western suburbs very close to the beach and surrounded by a lot of bushland.

Hootie
solrak
...I've been meaning to document our build of the Eden for a while now. (Did it on another forum but that has since closed) I have all the photos of each of the stages so it will be a mighty quick build log if I do it as we are on the verge of completion. If there is any interest of course?

I would say yes, please...always interesting to read another's build progress and with pics

I would also say YES PLEASE Hootie!
Hi all,

Sorry it's been a while since I've been back to H1.. its been a very busy year!

Yes, I'm complete, we had handover in September last year. Perhaps it's time I update this thread so here goes!
So march and april have been busy months, some of the internal walls are now starting to come up but there's still a few gaps in the external walls I guess to make it easier for the brickies to get the bricks and wheel barrows into the house easily.

Click the images for the larger pics

Hallway looking towards the 2nd toilet/bedroom 2/3 and second bathroom.

Master bedroom with no internal wall, door way through to ensuite but no robe walls yet.

Looking from the entry down the hallway towards the rear. Bedroom 4 on the right has a wall, theatre room closest on the right is still just a door frame and shares the wall from Bed #4.
Panorama of the living room, dining and kitchen area under construction

A theatre room

Master bedroom now has all the walls and the walk through robe is complete

Hallway now looks like a hallway with plenty of walls and doors

We're getting pretty close to done inside now by end of March
Start of April the house is starting to take some shape from the outside now

We're at plate height

Roofing supplies have started arriving

A week later around the 12th we now have some roofing going up! wow that was quick!

Surprised how quickly the roof timbers went up. I couldn't get close to get a good photo without blocking the road with all the other cars already parked on the sides of the road
April 18th and the roof has gone on the portico so the look of the front elevation is shaping up nicely!

These guys don't muck around!

Late April and it's surprise popup roof time.. went from no roof to almost a full roof in 2 or 3 days. Couldn't get a bet shot due to traffic on the street and tradies parked everywhere near the house.

Pretty wet and miserable at the moment but good thing the roof went on when it did or the whole place would have filled up with water from the rain.

Free swimming pool in the bathroom

Mid May and the grey coat has just about gone on everywhere, ceiling plasterboard has been delivered

Kitchen area

It's a bit hard to get photos of most of the rooms at the moment with the grey coat.. makes the rooms so dark my phone has a hard time trying to expose the pics properly.

Master bedroom looking into walkthrough robe
24/05/2014

Ceiling has started going in, feeling more like a house now and not so much a big shed!

Kitchen

Master bedroom

Hallway from kitchen looking out to entry portico

Portico starting to look and feel massive!

Theatre room
31/05/2014 and the white set plaster has begun

Master bedroom

Front elevation rendering begins

Living room, dining, kitchen.. attempt at a panorama

Window and door glass has started going in now.

End of May and we're officially at Lockup

Well the house is at lockup now so the updates get a bit harder to do. Limited to the times when I drop past the house and a tradie is there or the supervisor is there which wasn't always that frequent.

I'll combine some of the updates together from this point.

I did a bit of a house walk through for my own memories early during lockup, the recordings aren't very good and were taken on a phone hence the weird display ratio. They at least give an idea to the layout of the house.

Living area, dining, bedrooms 2/3/4, bathroom, toilet

Theatre room

Master bedroom, walk through robe, ensuite, drop zone, laundry.

End of June the cabinetry is starting to go in

Happened to catch the cabinet makers as they were finishing up installing the kitchen one day, got a great

Laundry sink and bench top

Ensuite cabinets

Bathroom

Kitchen cabinets

Note the mistake above the fridge recess.. brickies installed an extra course of bricks by accident so the overhead that continues across from above the oven and hot plate couldn't go in until it is removed!

Island benchtop cabinets

The overheads and cabinets on the back of the island are a gloss white, the lower cabinets (island drawers, oven and hotplate, under sink cabinets are all "platinum micro") which is why some cabinets look noticeably different to others in some pictures/light.
Late June and early July update managed to sneak in while the tilers were finishing up one afternoon. Some of these are also combined with some voyeur shots from outside when I couldn't get in.

Tiling, sink and bench top in the bathroom

I think the bath needs a bath..

Ensuite bench and tiling in progress

The bathroom feature tile looks great!

Kitchen benchtops are now installed. Still haven't fixed the brickwork above the fridge recess so the overhead cabinet is still not installed yet.

The island is huge!

A sneak peek of the caesar stone without the green wrapping

Hallway doors are in but not painted. Hallway doors to separate the kitchen/living/dining area from the rest of the house.

Theatre room doors are in
It's now mid July and the house painting has begun. We're on track for a handover late next month according to my supervisor

Painting begins in the bathroom. It's the darker colour you can see at the top not the lighter undercoat still visible.

The colour is Dhimba by Solver. It's a slightly warmer colour in the bathroom, ensuite and laundry than the rest of the house.

Rest of the house is starting to turn 1 shade of grey (Scribbly Gum by Solver)

Portico piers are now painted but still no front door..

White glass sliding doors for the hallway linen cupboard, laundry cupboard and bedroom robes are installed

First (best?) seat in the house..

Painting still isn't quite finished in some areas but the house is getting pretty close now in most ways. Electrical fit out is also still happening so lots of wires dangling from the roof in some rooms.
Two heads are better than one. Ensuite shower.

Walkthrough robe fitout complete

Handover date is now set for Friday 29th of August!

Jason windows are running a bit behind with the front door as its custom made to the exact measurements of the house but we're all confident they will have it installed in time.
OK so handover got pushed back twice by about 2 weeks in total to allow for Jason Windows to get the front door delivered and installed. They missed the deadline they gave DAH twice.

DAH still did the pre-handover inspection with me at the end of August but I couldn't inspect the front door and painting in the entry at the time since it wasn't ready yet and would be allowed to do another inspection the morning of the key handover meeting.

Handover is now Friday 12th of September.

We only came up with about 5 pages of defects from the inspection which were mostly just minor paint touch ups, generally I was really impressed with how the house had turned out so far, a bit disappointed about the handover being pushed back but after 18 months another two weeks wasn't going to make that much difference.

My flooring is being done after handover so I had to contact the flooring company who were excellent and managed to rearrange the dates to start the following Monday after the key handover on the Friday before.

Liquid limestone driveway and porch to the front entry are poured, colour has turned out a little lighter than I expected which I think is actually a good thing in the end. Was supposed to be charcoal (dark grey not black) but has turned out a lighter grey a bit darker than cement sort of colour.

Garage door is installed

Alfresco and side paving is down
Some photos before handover and the day of the re-inspection before going to DAH for the key handover

Ensuite shower glass

Bathroom shower glass

After so much waiting it's finally installed! The only issue now is that the glass was supposed to have a film installed on it to make the doors frosted for privacy !

DAH will have the window tinting guy contact me directly to organise a time to come to fit the missing film.
Now the real work starts.. it's late on a Friday afternoon.

1. I have to get some curtains up on the windows to keep prying eyes out.
2. Start cleaning out the fine brick and plaster dust still on the floor before the flooring guys can start the next week.
3. Install a letterbox

I've taken a week off work to try to get some of these jobs done before the flooring team take over for 2 weeks while they lay and seal/polish the floor boards.

Figured a wet and dry vac with a dust filter was probably the quickest way to get rid of the dust all over the floor and to try controlling all of the sand being walked in from outside. Quick trip to bunnings later, 3 or 4 full vaccum bags and 2 filters the floor was clean enough to walk on without kicking up dust.

The skirting boards and flooring got delivered early on Monday to give me time to paint the boards before the flooring crew starts on Wednesday.. two days to get 3 coats of paint on 15x 6m lengths of skirting.

The paintathon begins

Love the lighting effect on the ensuite window in the evenings

Decided installing the letterbox would be a good job to do while the flooring was starting to be laid

Not a bad result after plenty of careful hole levelling and concrete pouring.

Wood flooring, Spotted Gum

After sealing and polishing

Carpet finally! All bedrooms and theatre room.

Front door after frosted film applied.
Related
5/04/2024
Eden Brae Homes Feedback

Building A New House

I built with EB back on 2009. Check out this thread on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12911&p=154061#p154061 I can't speak for recent expericience however, we had no…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum