Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building in Aveley, Dale Alcock - Contracts Hiccup

Page 1 of 3
I'm excited to be able to start my build thread! I have been following along with the builds of others and have read some great advice.

My husband and I officially signed with Dale Alcock on Saturday and we are building a plan called the Venus. It is based on the Aurora display home.

Our plan:

Front view:

I can't decide at the moment if we should close off the games area with a door, and not having two openings. My other indecision is in regards to the minor hallway, I can't decide if I should putting a door in the hallway to the minor bedrooms. I am not a sliding door fan but don't know how a hinged door would look.
I'd actually use two glass doors leading into the games room, but I like the benefit of closing off noise while maintaining as much light as possible. And I like glass doors! White painted French doors would look great.

Do you expect to have high traffic past your hallway entrance? We didn't close of our hallways. We don't have kidlets (yet) but I can already see the benefit of being able to section off the minor bedrooms from the rest of the house, particularly in regards to noise, cooling/heating etc.
Looking good! I would put doors, or at least the brickwork to be bale to add a frame and door later everywhere you might want to put them. But also consider light switch position if you are going to add the doors later. A hinged door could swing 180 degrees so doesn't block the hallway, that's what they did with our garage door into the house.

For the WIP door are you doing a standard door? I've seen someone else put a door with frosted glass which makes it look a bit special

The one suggestion I make to everyone is chamber the laundry sliding door into a fixed door. You can then either add a window or have a door with glass. Less cleaning and I do think it looks neater, don't have to worry about blinds! It's one of the small things I'd done!
Thanks fancy pants & fmac!

Fmac, I'm with you on the pantry door, it's an absolute must!

My only complication with games room doors is that I really wanted the TV in the middle of that wall. That's where French doors would look best. So maybe a small set of doors on one side? I just love symmetry & that throws me out slightly - I am on the fussy side!
I have a friend with a theatre and a door on either side like your games room. They have a glass door on either side.
I'd put a french door on either side - pretty AND symmetrical!
I'm leaving the games room door decision for a little while longer but definitely putting in a sliding hallway door. It will match my pantry door!

So many decisions to make, thank goodness for this forum.
I'd also move the WC door as far forward as it will go. You can never have too much space, so many these days require a gymnastics act to get in and shut the door
Hey Bevnic!
So exciting to see more Vale builders starting up forums

Where abouts is your land?
Another Aveley builder, certainly a popular area at the moment which is completely understandable
Welcome to the forum and I look forward to following your build.
kellyt1992
Hey Bevnic!
So exciting to see more Vale builders starting up forums

Where abouts is your land?

Our block is on Limone street, at the park end. It's still a giant sandpit, I can't wait for there to be an actual street there.

itzeddie
Another Aveley builder, certainly a popular area at the moment which is completely understandable
Welcome to the forum and I look forward to following your build.

We fell in love with the estate the first time we drove in. We wanted somewhere peaceful with lots of open space & places to walk. Hopefully the area is just what we are after! We have lived 600km from Perth for 8 years & are moving back next year. Perth has got so much bigger & busier since we left.
Hi Bevnic

Looking forward to progress photos also
)
Good to see you have started your own thread. I would use glass doors to close off the hallway and games. Gives you that option to close off the noise but still makes it feel quite open. All our living room internal doors are glass. Not sure how I'm going to keep them all clean but ill worry about that later.

And as fmac suggested, I would change the laundry door to a hinged rather than sliding. We did that and I don't think it was a cost difference. Will be a lot easier to keep clean.

My only advice is to be patient, the next few months nothing much happens. Spend some time at da central when u are in town to prepare for prestart.

Our first big decision since signing up is deciding on our exterior colours.

Roof: Monier Horizon Tiles in Barramundi
Bricks: Austral C0llier
Front Render: Solver vitesse 150%
Portico Render: Limestone
Garage: Caoba
Window Frames: Charcol Lustre

Feeling good about these decisions! Will still have a while before pre-start but I have flooring decisions ticking over in my head. I'm heading to some displays this weekend so hopefully I'm clearer after that.
Love your choices. They'll look great together.

Sometimes I think we'll be the only house in Vale that is completely rendered!
Thanks fancy pants!

At least you are unique! I just love the bricks, it might have something to do with currently living in a fibro house.

I can't wait for a visit to Vale this weekend and see how our sandpit is looking. Plus research for pre-start & debating tiles vs wood floors! How do people make all these huge decisions?!
Love the colours!
Our flooring decision was based on what is easier to change! And I'm not a fan of tiles, as beautiful as they are I just think they can be very cold in winter!
Also we went with a white kitchen and if we'd had tiles I have a feeling our house would have looked a little clinical! The wood look flooring gives it some warmth

Good luck! So many things to decide on!!
Did you scan the plans or did you receive electronic copies?

Will try and scan ours to post
Redstorm
Did you scan the plans or did you receive electronic copies?

Will try and scan ours to post

Redstorm, you can ask your CLO to send you an electronic copy of all your plans. That's what we did. It means we can email whatever plan is relevant in order to get an accurate quote for something (flooring, skirting boards, window treatments, liquid limestone etc.)

It makes everything so much easier!
Yes Redstorm, these plans came from our sales rep.

It is useful to have them electronically.
Related
3/10/2023
Issues with building contracts

General Discussion

Industry type domestic contracts are prepared by industry bodies for the benefit of the builders. This means that if you are the owner watch out. One of the points is…

27/04/2024
Building contracts

Building A New House

Hello, I am currently working on a study in regards to building contracts in Australia. I would like to interview people with their building experience in Australia and…

31/05/2023
Works Contracts

Owner Builder Forum

MBA and HIA both have sub contract agreements, check them out

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum