Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our KDR - Gemmill. Ceilings and lockup! FINALLY

Page 2 of 4
it's time for some happy times!

I hope all will go well now
Wow Darcy I was reading your other thread and thinking what kind of asshats your neighbours were but didn't put it togther with you

Here's fingers crossed for a smooth build here on in
Yes, the neighbours are being a little difficult. (Understatement).

Trixee - we used Diacon Demolition, on recommendation of friends who are in the industry. Frank (owner) was brilliant. My husband was watching on the day, and was very impressed with his skill. Took 2 hours to demolish a 2 storey house, and not a single piece of rubble or glass left our block. Then a couple of weeks to clear it all.

We didn't salvage anything, but we did sell a lot on Gumtree before the demo. It's amazing what people will buy. Our whole kitchen, appliances separately, bath, toilet, sinks etc. Also the instantaneous hot water system. We probably made nearly $5000 on stuff we sold off.
Darcy27
Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time coming, but we are finally ready to go. House was demolished in January, swimming pool is in, and the site was compacted this week. Footings were meant to go in yesterday, but didn't happen, so hopefully today - then slab, and bricks, and on we go!

Hey Darcy

You are in a different council area, but i'm interested in what you needed to do with the pool while the house was being built?
Did you need to have it drained? or just erect construction fences around the normal pool fencing?
Or possibly board it up?

Good luck with the progress!
Hi Gixxer,

The pool is new - we filled in the old one and moved the location. But it would probably be the same regardless. It is 3/4 full of water. Apparently they need to keep water pressure in there to counteract the pressure of the sand around it. It is then covered with big boards - strong enough that you could walk on them. This was a stipulation of the building company.

Then surrounded by a temporary fence. If your pool is already fenced, I would imagine that would be enough. The fencing is to comply with council regs - they don't care that it is boarded over. The boards are to comply with the builder, who doesn't care that it is fenced.

Either way, there is no way anyone can go swimming for a while! Hope that helps.
So when are you going to post your colour selections?
Mmm, must go find them...... it feels like so long ago. Will try to put up a better plan too.

It is basically all grey. No browns or beige, just shades of grey. Winspray roof, lighter grey walls, dark grey feature around portico. We have been pretty conservative and boring...

I'll be asking for advice on flooring too. Can't decide between tiles or timber, with all the grey/white.

Will look for pics at home tonight and try to post them.
Posting to follow, fingers crossed you have got all the stressful stuff out of the way early.
Darcy27
It is basically all grey. No browns or beige, just shades of grey. Winspray roof, lighter grey walls, dark grey feature around portico. We have been pretty conservative and boring...

I'll be asking for advice on flooring too. Can't decide between tiles or timber, with all the grey/white.

Sounds great! I've been thinking about shades of grey too.
You might want some colour to add some warmth though, otherwise it might feel a bit "cold". Timber floorboards would work a treat.
Posting to follow, our Gemmil build is almost finished, a relatively trouble tree journey
I didn't manage to find time to look for our colour selection pics, but I've tried to upload a new floor plan. (Need to keep practicing how to add pictures until it sinks in!)

Not many changes since the last one. Skylights will be in line with each other, and the wardrobe in Bed 2 has been extended. That's about it.

Oh, and they said that the footings would be done last Thursday and slab on Friday. As of this morning, nothing has changed on site - no ones been there.

And so it begins. Plus it's meant to rain all week. I think I will soon be frustrated that we have just missed out on the driest summer ever, and now that we are finally being told they will start, the rains come. Ah well. If all goes OK with the neighbours/wall issue, I suppose I should be thankful. We haven't heard from them (they were supposed to respond to our lawyers letter by last Thursday). But since the builder seems happy to build and doesn't see any risk from their yard, we will just wait and see.

Love the plan especially the long entry, what a clever design, looking forward to watching your progress
totally love your plan, entry and pantry!
Ohh a jam room, My JC will be jealous. We have made our third bedroom the jam/studio room but yours is so nice and big. And gear load in/load out will be so great for you - what an excellent idea! We have only just realised JC will have to load his kit in through the laundry, oh well. Are you perth musos, it's a small world and JC works at megamusic so high chance they've crossed paths

If you need any gemmil info or tips hit us up
Were three weeks away from PCI, yay
OK - I haven't been here for AGES. Sorry. Full time work, kids, school holidays, and building a house...... it all takes up time.

SInce my last post, we have a slab!!! And some walls!!! The builders are great when they are there. We are really impressed with the neatness of the brickwork, even though it will all be rendered.

Keeping them there seems to be an issue though. They seem to appear for 2 days, then disappear for three, then back for a few days, then gone again. Ah well. No point stressing.....

Now - to try to remember how to post photos.

Colour Selections:
Roof Windspray
Gutters Windspray
Fascia Windspray
Downpipes shale grey
Windows Anadonic Natural
Garage door Windspray
Render Dulux Lyttelton
Door PMAD101 x 2 Lexicon half
Handle Gainsborough Horizon
Pavers Atlas Charcoal Metro

Kitchen / Scullery
Cabinets Polar white
Bentchtop Absolute Dune

Kids Bathroom Absolute Sienna
Polar white
Contra fashion white
Terrain Charcoal

Music Ensuite Absolute Sienna
Ash Woodline
Contra fashion white
Scc weave paris
Terrain charcoal

Our ensuite Absolute Dune
Polar white
Orion Urban
Fashion black
Orion Urban

Splashback Glasskote Bauxite
Metallix
Great to see your progress!!
Couple of questions....

We have chosen polar white drawers throughout the kitchen, with Absolute Stone Dune benchtops. Would you have a white or stainless steel dishwasher? Fridge/freezer, microwave, cooktop and oven all stainless steel, but they are on another wall.

Also, does anyone have a picture of a Glasskote splashback in Bauxite? I seem to have chosen this, according to the colour selections list, but it looks really black - which I wouldn't have chosen. Not sure if it's different on the net to real life? (Hopefully) or they got it wrong at the selection meeting.
personal preference...I would have stainless steel, but I think the trend (eventually) will head back to white appliances again. depends on what look you are after.. have a look at the photos on houzz.com search 'white appliances' you'll soon find out if you like it more or not
Well, it's been over 8 weeks since the slab went down, and we are still waiting for bricks to be completed. No builders on site for over a week this time, but they have never really been there more than 3 days in a row since the begining. So we are starting to get a little frustrated!

We have been on to the CLO several times. (We are now up to #4 in three months or so). The latest story was that some things had been stolen off the site, which the brickies need to continue - but she couldn't tell us what. Just that they had 240 days to finish, and they are well within their time frame!

Eventually, after some "words", she had the SS call us. Now it seems that nothing has been stolen, but one of the lintels was manufactured wrong, and two were not delivered. And one of the pilings for the garage has not been done, so they can't finish the walls until the concrete guys come back and do that.

It would have been nice for them to let us know...... anyway. Our SS (#3 since the slab went down) is meeting husband on site on Tuesday. In the meantime, the block has sat empty (other than half built walls) for another week. And they wonder why people get frustrated with them.

We understand that there will be delays. As usual, it is the lack of communication - just one phone call would help so much, and they wouldn't have to deal with irate and annoyed clients. You would think they would learn - wouldn't you?

In the meantime, I'm still looking at floors, and have moved on to lights. I'll leave the stress to the husband and focus on the fun stuff - shopping.

Oh, and I bought an ottoman last night off Gumtree!! Not sure where I will use it - lounge or music room, or gym room - but it will get used somewhere.
Love gumtree and love the ottoman
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

31/01/2024
3m ceilings

Building A New House

I was quoting framing timber sizes from Australian Standard AS1684.4 Table A13 for 2700mm wall heights Tile Roof, single storey. This Australian Standard doesn't refer to…

28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum