Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Masterton Homes - The next thread 4.0

Page 665 of 730
sandra 2016
kly525
sandra 2016
[quote="kly525"]We are due to sign contracts next week. Do you know if we can take the paperwork home before signing? The sample contracts supplied doesn't list the inclusions & exclusions (eg lights bulb) and i don't want to feel rushed and sign something on the spot and then leave realising we'd forgotten something. Also, i like a chance to check out the builder's details as well. Is that supplied or does the builder the contract refers to is M?

They dont give you any light bulbs at all unless you pay for downlights as an extra.

I would INSIST they email you ENTIRE contract 48hrs prior to signing your contract they will try and say no blah blah INSIST.

Things to look for which we failed to be advised excess soil removal charges did they discuss there is such a charge and extra if they find rock.

We were not advised we thought we were signing fixed site costs as thats what the big heading said.

Good luck with your build

I can't believe some of these things that are considered extras. Surely lights should be considered as part of the package...? When you buy an existing home it comes with lights...lol
My tender has details on the excess soil and it mentioned rocks. But i think i will ring up during business hours and check with them first.
Thanks for your help Sandra. So many things i never thought to check...
Oh another thought that came to mind while i was in the shower this morning, can we change the ac ducts after signing contracts without variation fees or its fine to make changes as its not a structure thing?

Any changes incur $1000 fee so do everything b4 u sign

[/quote]

M said to me that they will only charge variation fee post council submission. Which makes sense, you can't think of everything you want to change until you see the plans.

We were told once the colours were signed off they would charge for any changes. Which wasn't an issue for us as we were pretty clear on what we wanted and had made lots of decisions well before our appointments.
ms_jd
sandra 2016
kly525
[quote="sandra 2016"][quote="kly525"]We are due to sign contracts next week. Do you know if we can take the paperwork home before signing? The sample contracts supplied doesn't list the inclusions & exclusions (eg lights bulb) and i don't want to feel rushed and sign something on the spot and then leave realising we'd forgotten something. Also, i like a chance to check out the builder's details as well. Is that supplied or does the builder the contract refers to is M?

They dont give you any light bulbs at all unless you pay for downlights as an extra.

I would INSIST they email you ENTIRE contract 48hrs prior to signing your contract they will try and say no blah blah INSIST.

Things to look for which we failed to be advised excess soil removal charges did they discuss there is such a charge and extra if they find rock.

We were not advised we thought we were signing fixed site costs as thats what the big heading said.

Good luck with your build

I can't believe some of these things that are considered extras. Surely lights should be considered as part of the package...? When you buy an existing home it comes with lights...lol
My tender has details on the excess soil and it mentioned rocks. But i think i will ring up during business hours and check with them first.
Thanks for your help Sandra. So many things i never thought to check...
Oh another thought that came to mind while i was in the shower this morning, can we change the ac ducts after signing contracts without variation fees or its fine to make changes as its not a structure thing?

Any changes incur $1000 fee so do everything b4 u sign

[/quote]

M said to me that they will only charge variation fee post council submission. Which makes sense, you can't think of everything you want to change until you see the plans.

[/quote]
Get that in writing

kly525
sandra 2016
Now that i thought about it you do your air cond stuff at colours app. You go into a seperate room with a air cond man. The free one that they give you is not good enough to run more than 2 rooms at a time. Our upgrade cost 6 grand for a daikin air cond that will cool whole house.

Right. Yeah coz I'd like aircon ducs for all the rooms upstairs. Ok. Ill confirm with M person today since I have to ask other questions. Is it possible to get a credit for the air con and go with our own supplier?

They do give you the vents in every room its the motor that wont be big enough in the free one they give you so the guy told us if we want more than 2 rooms on at a time we had to upgrade.

Better you email them with what you just asked them and say please confirm via email.

Never trust over the phone what they agree to on a phone call or verbal its cow manure they will not do anything and change their mind once you sign

EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERY LITTLE THING YOU NEED IN WRITING DONT GET FOOLED. Sad to say but you just cant trust verbal from them

".. I have never had any clients pay any pre contract amount for variations as you can still make minor changes...After DA approval, you may be penalised...." M.
sandra 2016
kly525
sandra 2016
Now that i thought about it you do your air cond stuff at colours app. You go into a seperate room with a air cond man. The free one that they give you is not good enough to run more than 2 rooms at a time. Our upgrade cost 6 grand for a daikin air cond that will cool whole house.

Right. Yeah coz I'd like aircon ducs for all the rooms upstairs. Ok. Ill confirm with M person today since I have to ask other questions. Is it possible to get a credit for the air con and go with our own supplier?

They do give you the vents in every room its the motor that wont be big enough in the free one they give you so the guy told us if we want more than 2 rooms on at a time we had to upgrade.

Better you email them with what you just asked them and say please confirm via email.

Never trust over the phone what they agree to on a phone call or verbal its cow manure they will not do anything and change their mind once you sign

EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERY LITTLE THING YOU NEED IN WRITING DONT GET FOOLED. Sad to say but you just cant trust verbal from them

I kept trying to get things in writing but the person i am dealing with doesn't respond and when they do its generally a few days later. But either way just spoke with them and it seems with home & land packages you tend to get a lot more inclusions. Eg. The spoil removal is all included. Also its written in my tender as well. We get driveway and landscape too. I think being in this forum I've noticed a lot of these things people had to pay extra for?
I will definitely check out the aircon stuff when i am there doing my selections.

ms_jd
".. I have never had any clients pay any pre contract amount for variations as you can still make minor changes...After DA approval, you may be penalised...." M.

Do you have that on a M letterhead or email. I was charged $1000 before my plans were lodged.

sandra 2016
ms_jd

Do you have that on a M letterhead or email. I was charged $1000 before my plans were lodged.

Yeah it was in an email.
Well, that is ridiculous.. poor form.
They better follow through and not go back on their word. It was one of the first things I asked them.

Gibson. Thanks for your knowledge about cracking new concrete slab which help me peace of mind so I had a very good slept last night

jol0. we build synergy 29 with contemporary facade(what is your facade ) but extended garage and family room and lounge room on first floor.
rainbow05
Gibson. Thanks for your knowledge about cracking new concrete slab which help me peace of mind so I had a very good slept last night

jol0. we build synergy 29 with contemporary facade(what is your facade ) but extended garage and family room and lounge room on first floor.

Rainbow we are building 32. Also with contemporary facade. What bricks did u choose?

We have a fence!

mrs_jd - I'm not sure that our dual occupancy is the norm, or what you should judge your progress off, it's been a wild ride. We started our building adventure in August 2015, it took a while to get all our plans sorted and the council submission organised, I think the distance has been a bit of a hurdle for us (M is a Sydney based builder, we are regional NSW). We submitted to council in March 2015, took till June 2015 for DA to be processed and approved. From June 2015 till December 2015 we waited on final plans for quite a while, there were amendments to be made in order to comply with our DA and we had wait on our construction certificate.
We were moved into construction mid-December. According to our contract we should be completed by early July.

We had a fantastic Pre-Construction Coordinator. I cannot speak highly enough of her perisitence and dedication to see our project through to Construction. We had lots of things crop up over the 12 months that we spent dealing with the paperwork side of things, our PCC worked with us the whole time.

I'm hoping Construction runs along well for us, cannot wait to see our home takes shape.

MartinsHarmony
We have a fence!

mrs_jd - I'm not sure that our dual occupancy is the norm, or what you should judge your progress off, it's been a wild ride. We started our building adventure in August 2015, it took a while to get all our plans sorted and the council submission organised, I think the distance has been a bit of a hurdle for us (M is a Sydney based builder, we are regional NSW). We submitted to council in March 2015, took till June 2015 for DA to be processed and approved. From June 2015 till December 2015 we waited on final plans for quite a while, there were amendments to be made in order to comply with our DA and we had wait on our construction certificate.
We were moved into construction mid-December. According to our contract we should be completed by early July.

We had a fantastic Pre-Construction Coordinator. I cannot speak highly enough of her perisitence and dedication to see our project through to Construction. We had lots of things crop up over the 12 months that we spent dealing with the paperwork side of things, our PCC worked with us the whole time.

I'm hoping Construction runs along well for us, cannot wait to see our home takes shape.

Congrats MartinsHarmony wont be long now till you have that slab down. Your block looks huge.

Sandra 2016 - thanks for the PM (very handy to know) not sure if you are getting my replies so just letting you know!

Hi All, it has been a very long time since I have caught up with the forum we built the Villina 41 and got our keys in July (8/7/16) we had our slab poured 11/7/15 just to give an idea on how long M take it was almost a 2 year journey which started with our first plans in August 2014. Whilst we are happy with our home 7 months down the track we are still waiting on things to be fixed from handover in the meantime warranty has started fixing things from our 90 day list (we had 44 items listed) but they won't touch things from the handover list. Like Sandra we did not have a good experience with M and even after living in our home we would never recommend them to anyone not even an enemy.
Sandra2016 I was reading your issues in regards to the bank we also had the same issues with the final payment as carpets driveways not done and appliances not installed we simply pointed them to the contract that the bank had a copy of which should state appliances are installed after handover and they also had copies of the tenders for which the driveway and carpet were never included so they had to reverse their decision and draw the cheque.
In regards to aircon we were assured at sales it was more then enough to cool our warm our home but found at colours it's all based on the kW and zones if you want to be able to run more then 1 zone at a time we had to upgrade and the standard zones provided is only 2 so you have to pay more for each zone added and for each extra zone you require more kW (I am pretty sure that's what it was but my appointment was so long ago) best thing to ask is how many kW the aircon has and how many zones if building a 2 story home 2 is not enough as you can only have up or down and both can't run at once.
It's interesting to see not much has changed with M and customer service is still not their prime focus after you sign your contract.
Just a bit of advice for those talking about getting things in writing, we had it in writing from our PCC that we would not be hit with a price increase when we were delayed in council as all delays were M's fault at the end it did not matter they tried to hit us with $15,900 increase and told us we should think ourselves lucky as it could have been more they reduced it to $9000 as a customer service gesture but then our sales guy got it reduced to $6000 not sure how they think it's customer service when the delays were their fault...

Well said Wkvillina. Good to see you back here. My bank didnt cave on my final payments as shower screens was part of PCI items. However Masterton made me sign an indemnity letter and are installing my appliances and carpets on wednesday and thursday. Just hope with the cow manure i have had with this build that they dont get stolen.

Thanks for the PM NJC I just sent you on back 😊

Did you get my PM Sandra 2016 earlier this morning? It's telling me there's an error?

Can I get pics of anyone's front door after it's been stained? Ours is being cleaned Monday but the stain seems very patchy and uneven in places?

Hi - things get VERY busy after handover. I haven't had time to keep up.

We've got a massive list of issues with our house. It's unbelievable that I gave Masterton $450,000 of my hard earned money for them to deliver such terrible quality.

I'd also never recommend them to my worst enemy.

Definitely get everything in writing and keep every single email.

Related
31/03/2024
Masterton Homes Hydraulics

Building A New House

Thanks again. I will ask Masterton if they do this.

28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

30/10/2023
Running irrigation line under footpath (next to home)

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all I am looking to run a water line under my concrete footpath which is directly next to my home, was seeing if this is possible without cutting the entire section…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum