Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Problem: damage wetseal

Page 1 of 1
I think the wetseal in the bath has problem. The the "paint" (to hide imperfection on the gyprock) come out in some parth and damage the wetseal in the corner.

Any comments?

The paint is only and exterior thing.

The wetseal is still the product closest to the Villaboard…… that’s all that counts!
thanks michelle for the reply.
I went back againt to the house this morning, and have a chat to the tiler. It is only DUST, the result of sanding. So the wetseal is no problem, like the builder said to me yesterday.
If that area is a shower, according to the Building Code there should be waterproofing all the way up to 1.8m height, not just the corners. I checked this area of the Building Code myself when my waterproofing was done.
thanks Jamiet. Have any one has similar experience on the waterproofing like me? Should i be concerned?
thanks.

PS: The following is culled from
http://ask.homesite.com.au/index.php/ho ... ding_code/

Dear Mike,

We are currently in the middle of bathroom renovations. We have employed a builder to carry out these. The space was completely gutted including the walls and floor.
Our current issue is regarding the use of silicon with in the shower and around the shower screen.
There is a rather large gap between the wall and floor tiles at the bottom of the shower area. It has been filled with about 12mm of silicon. Is this within the Building Code? Also, due to initial floor tiling issues, the shower screen sits well above the floor tiles at the outer corner and beneath has been filled with about 15mm of silicon. Does this meet the Building Code?

If there is a particular Building Code could you include the number within your reply? Your assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
Alison

Dear Alison,
The Building Code of Australia covers waterproofing of bathrooms in houses.

Waterproofing of “wet areas” is located in the BCA Volume 2 Part 3.8.1. This part also references the Australian Standard AS 3740 - Waterproofing of wet areas in residential buildings. Compliance with either of these documents will satisfy building law and should ensure a waterproof product.
The BCA specifically covers the installation of shower screen in Part 3.8.1.27,
Clause (a). of that part states:
“For an enclosed shower. The shower screen must be designed and installed to prevent water escaping from the shower enclosure.”
It does not say how that is to be achieved.

The only other requirement is that the floor/wall and wall/wall junctions are to be waterproofed If all of these requirements are met then compliance with the code has been satisfied.

In both instances waterproof silicon may be satisfactory but the silicon will eventually need replacing. Therefore a more permanent system particularly at the wall/floor junction would be desirable.

It would appear that your concerns are about the cosmetic appearance of the job and without seeing the job first hand, I could not pass judgement on the concerns you are expressing.

I recommend that in the first instance you approach the builder to ascertain just what waterproofing system has been employed in the job (and wherther the silicon is used as a gap filler or as the waterproof joint; and to seek an assurance the job will remain waterproof without the need for ongoing maintenance.

If the appearance is of major concern, say so, and seek a workable solution. If that does not satisfactorily answer your concerns I would recommend seeking a second independent opinion.

I hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Same here!

Maybe it is different in other states but in Vic this is the norm AFAIK...
Thanks Matt.
Looks like you all better not splash around in the shower too much….

Seems they have only wetsealed the wall space head hight?

I would think that they should be told wether the owner is going all the way to the ceiling with their tiles or not.

Just repaired a leaky shower, fortunately not the sealant.
The screws had rusted in the shower frame, which caused a huge amount of water leakage.
Sorry, my bad.

The requirement for the shower wall is to be water resistant. The joints up to 1.8m high have to be water proof. My shower walls are waterproofed all the way up and I got confused between water resistant and water proof.

Water resistant (WR) means "restricts moisture movement and will not degrade under conditions of moisture".
Related
3/12/2023
How much damage to a house before insurance decide to settle

General Discussion

I thought this would be a popular question but I haven't been able to find any similar posts. Perhaps I'm wording my searches wrong? When you have car insurance and the…

15/01/2024
Water damage to new home

Building A New House

there was an event. The question is whether the builder had the insurance and whether the event was covered. The workmanship is a separate conversation.

27/02/2024
roof damage insurance claim

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

The workmanship is lifetime guarantee by "the insurer", not the builder. They will of course ask the initial builder to rectify and if they don't they will appoint…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum