Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

security options for a corner house

Page 1 of 2
What are the security options available for a corner house. I just got colorbond fence on the side of the house. I don't know what security options are available. Please share what do you have or what you propose to have.
CC101, our place has 1 side common boundary fence and 3 boundary fences (front,1 side and rear) onto public roads.
The 2 side and 1 rear fences are all 6' colorbond, and the front is an electric gate + small pedestrian gate and tubular fencing. Additionally, lockable colorbond side gates on both sides of the house, between the house and boundaries. We also plan in the future to instal cctv, as we have no faith in the way the world seems to be heading.
Respect and care for others and their property, seems to be a disappearing quality in life as we know it and we are choosing to give no opportunity to anyone to interfere in our way of life.
Crocodile filled moat?

Seriously though, I understand your concern. We currently live on a corner block and one boundary fence runs along the public road. If we weren't building/moving I'd seriously consider putting CCTV down that side in the hope that the camera alone would deter someone. We already have 6' fencing.

We have two reasonably large dogs (German Shepherd and American Staffordshire Terrier) so hopefully they're a deterrent to anyone that peeks over. I know the German Shepherd gets angry if anyone peers over the fence. The American Staffordshire Terrier couldn't care less
At least the barking would put someone off if they tried to jump the fence.

So if it were me I'd have 6' fencing, CCTV camera and a dog.
Not dog people BUT love the idea of a croc filled moat.... a bit concerned who I could get to feed them when we're on hols. ?

- could put a sign up "intruders welcome " I suppose.
Really coarse, prickly thorned bushes along the fences... nothing like the thought of landing in thorns to deter you from jumping over!
jj1
Not dog people BUT love the idea of a croc filled moat.... a bit concerned who I could get to feed them when we're on hols. ?

- could put a sign up "intruders welcome " I suppose.

....and the crocs are free to feed

I'm full of good ideas
Sorry to derail the conversation regarding feeding the crocs ...
... but how about security glass for the ground floor? We haven't specified it because we're going double-glazed and we didn't want to confuse things any more than they already were, but we were told a while ago that security glass isn't that expensive. I think they just apply a really tough untinted laminate, and it takes a lot of effort to get through it.
Great idea! So the burglar stands around longer trying to break the glass which gives the crocs more time to snap him up - pardon the pun.

Sorry, couldn't help myself

Seriously though, I've never heard of security glass. Do you know if it can be retro fitted into a normal window frame? I'd consider this for downstairs at the new house.
LOL....

Have heard of Security glass, but know nothing about it. Sounds like a good idea, but I'll bet you will need your Bank Manager with you when placing the order !

It really is a damn shame all this security business...when we lived on our farm, we went to town once a week to stock up...and left the house unlocked, keys in the trucks and tractor etcetc.

No good dwelling !
Yep. And being exposed to a few sides of the industry I can tell you at the end of the day if someone wants to break into your house they will. The best we can do is make it more difficult for them as a deterrent and hopefully catch their mugs on camera whilst they do it.

Reminds me if a saying I heard once "locks and security measures only keep the honest people out".
HomeAngels
Yep. And being exposed to a few sides of the industry I can tell you at the end of the day if someone wants to break into your house they will. The best we can do is make it more difficult for them as a deterrent and hopefully catch their mugs on camera whilst they do it.

Yeah, I think the theory is that if it's a PITA after they try a few times with their tyre-iron and the glass cracks without shattering, they go next door instead because that's easier. Whereas the alarm thingy really only works if they believe anyone's going to bother doing anything about the alarm going off.

Neither is the total deterrent, but both help a bit. One or more large-sounding & angry-sounding dogs is probably best at that.

Quote:
Reminds me if a saying I heard once "locks and security measures only keep the honest people out".

While sort-of true, all this stuff also keeps lazy people out; and most thieves are just downright lazy, if they weren't they'd be running banks & robbing us for much more with the full weight of the law behind them.

*edit*
In this country, at least ...
Yep I agree 120%

Make it so difficult/annoying to burgle your house so they'll move onto the next one instead.
Large dogs are usually considered the best deterrent. Large fences around the property aren't. Whilst they offer a barrier to have to climb, once behind them, they are protected from view from any passer by and free to investigate methods to enter your house at their leisure without fear of being seen.

Burglar alarms that make noise only are not much use. Most people simply ignore them when they go off and burglars know this. A silent alarm system that is monitored and dispatches security guards to your home is far more effective if you want to actually catch them.

But as others have said, it's more about making your house less of a target so they'll move on elsewhere. There's not really anything you can do to stop a determined burglar.
We have half of our boundary on a corner reserve - we have a monitored security system and we have advertised that with stickers on all of our doors and windows.

We were going to go down the cctv path also - however after meeting with a few places it just didn't seem viable, the cameras don't really stop people and if they are going to break in they will most likely have obscured their appearance.... rendering your footage useless.

Touch wood.... we have had quite a few neighbours broken into and they didn't have alarm systems at the time - we have been here 2.5 years without incident. With monitored security 24 hours 7 days a week you have the faith knowing that the cops will go to your place if needed (police will not attend an alarm call out if it is not a monitored system) and if you cannot attend your property a security guard will come out (approx $80 for the call out)

$25 month for monitorig is well worth it, along with contents insurance... there really isn't much more you can do - if they're gonna get in, they'll get in!
are we allowed to have prickly thorns (don't know exactly what it is called) on a wire (not electric wire - but sort of metalic wire), on top of fence? I have seen this sort of thing at the boundry fence of a school.
Barbwire or Razor-wire ...
need to be careful you don't set yourself up to be sued by a poor unfortunate, who gets some kind of injury (wouldn't that be a shame) whilst attempting to enter your premises !!!
jj1
Barbwire or Razor-wire ...
need to be careful you don't set yourself up to be sued by a poor unfortunate, who gets some kind of injury (wouldn't that be a shame) whilst attempting to enter your premises !!!

how come schools are allowed to have barbwire or razor wire? it is shame that schools can have these wires and not residential houses.
It's because the schools are keeping the undesirables in ...
Forg

LOL...ain't that the truth.......

Had to turn our doorbell off (again) last night. The little mongrels going past
(in the dark mind you) ringing the bell and running.
jj1
Forg

LOL...ain't that the truth.......

Had to turn our doorbell off (again) last night. The little mongrels going past
(in the dark mind you) ringing the bell and running.

Just wire up he doorbell to 240v power and make the button live. That'll soon stop them!
Related
16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

16/10/2023
CDC Corner Balcony Size

General Discussion

Dear all, Requesting your help in relation to a CDC code. We are building a new home in NSW on a corner lot (500m2, 15m wide) following Greenfield CDC code. Our design…

23/05/2023
Security Account for Post Contract Variations??

Building A New House

It seems very clear to me that your contract states that a security account does NOT need to be established so the answer to the builder is NO. If in doubt find a contract…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum