Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Curtains or Roller Blinds for the house ?

Page 1 of 2
From personal experience what would people suggest between those two: curtains or roller blinds?
Are curtains thing of the past or they're as trendy as roller blinds??? Pros and cons for each would be great.
Thanks
I think Blinds and Verticals make a house look like a rental. Maybe I've been in too many rentals lately! I am going Curtains, I think they look like the window has been 'dressed' and the house looks more cosy and liveable. But I am from a different generation.
I'm not sure whether a "roller blind" is what I think it is ... but if it's a sheet of material which rolls-up onto a roller which is mounted at the top of the window-frame & is operated by a cord (or motors in fancy ones), then that's what I think it is.

I've never seen those blinds installed in a way that fully blocks out the light. Curtains, however, I have. Same with heat leakage; you can arrange a heavy curtain to stop heat from getting out through the window (if you're not installing fancy windows+frames).

Style/fashion, though ... I'm not the person to ask about that ...

To my eye, curtains look fussy & messy, and they're dust-traps that need washing.
Nah you can vacuum a curtain, most vacuums have a small brush attachment. Venetians - now they are dust traps!
donna61
I think Blinds and Verticals make a house look like a rental. Maybe I've been in too many rentals lately! I am going Curtains, I think they look like the window has been 'dressed' and the house looks more cosy and liveable. But I am from a different generation.

I agree about vertical blinds and normal blinds... they do look like rental places...
I was asking about roller blinds, something like that (are they hard to maintain in the way of dust collection?):

or

Vertical blinds = rental. Roller blinds - I dont agree that they look rental

We are going with a combination of window coverings in our house.

Home theatre at the front of the house (only windows on the ground floor) they will be two plantation shutters.

On all of the other windows it will be roller blinds. In the main bedroom we will have roller blinds and curtains - only because DH works night shift and we need the bedroom as dark as we can get it.
Still think they look cold and impersonal. The only blinds I have seen that look "dressed" are ones with a flourish type pattern.
def go with dual rollers, verticals are on the way out
I think modern roller blinds look great. They can be "dressed" witha pelmet over the top to give them that finished look without the fussiness of curtains.
I do think that some curtains (note the some) can look gorgeous when done properly.
However for allergies, they are indeed dust traps if they arent vacuumed down regularly.

I think venetians, especially the wider 50mm slat varieties in timber can look fantastic too.
It really all depends on the look you are trying to achieve in your home.
If you want other features to do the talking and the windows to blend in when the blinds arent up, then go for roller blinds. Gorgeous open windows showing full glass during the day and then blending in when pulled down at night.

We are having roller blinds in the minor bedrooms as they arent going to be used, if or when we have kids eventually, we might dress them up with a sheer or a curtain.

Main bedroom will be wide timber slat venetians, as we are having a warm, earthy and wood tone throughout our house.
Main living areas will most likely be the same.. as yet undecided.

100% agree with the other posts re: verticals... so late 1980s and early 1990s.
When my parents renovated their late 1960s built home for the first time back in 1990, they put these peachy coloured verticals in the dining room... i've never forgotten it.

Was thrilled when they were ripped out 5 years ago!!
AubinGroveFan
From personal experience what would people suggest between those two: curtains or roller blinds?

I asked an interior designer friend about this recently, and her comment was that curtains are classic, and never go out of style, but the current trend is to hang them "high and wide". Basically, the "rule" is to hang them mid-way between the window frame and the cornice, or even higher, and to have them clear the sides of the window when fully drawn. Ceiling tracks are even becoming popular. That contrasts with the traditional approach of hanging them right on the window frame.

She said shutters, roller blinds and roman blinds are also popular right now if you prefer a more modern, clean look.

So it seems anything goes, but verticals are definitely on the way out.

I'm trying to make a decision, but I'm leaning towards curtains. We've gone for a very stark, white look with a lot of our colour choices, so curtains will help add some warmth and colour to the place. Also, my office has roller blinds, so I'd like something different when I come home.
We are doing a combination of curtains and roller blinds in our house. All curtains are floor to ceiling and this is in the living room and bedrooms and in the kids rumpus we have opted for roller blinds.

The roller blinds came out to be the less expensive option for us but didn't provide the look we wanted
I think a lot of it comes down to style, taste and the look you are going for. I also think a big part of it is based on previous experience. I would never go near the metal or wood Venetian blinds. I have loved with them before and they drove me crazy, the metal ones look terrible and even when they are open make noise with wind going past. The wood look ones look nice down but up they are a pain.

I like sleeping with the window open at night if possible and so ventetians just don't cut it as you can't have them closed.

We are stuck with vertical blinds through the builder but I plan on hanging curtains or at least sheers over the windows to 'hide' them. But I do find they are good at blocking a fair bit of light.

I would actually love to have the plantation shutters, we had them on all the windows when I lived in the US many years ago and thought they were great but the cost of them here is prohibitive and I'm not convinced they would 'fit' with the look our our house. Though who knows I may get them one day
we are having the see through blinds i think they are called sunblocker blinds for the family retreat and sliding door in bed 1
at front of house they will all be slimline venetains. then bed 2 3 and 4 as well as ensuite bed 4 and main bathroom planation shutters. i am tired of having curtains and sick of verticals which why i choose the way i did
We are going for a combination of roller blinds and curtains. I agree about vertical blinds, never liked them.
Down the track when we're ready to spend a bit more money, we'd love timber plantation shutters, but it's an expensive option, so we're getting ready made clock-out curtains and roller blinds for now.
We're having curtains in the living room and bedrooms, and roller blinds in the bathrooms and study. Although, after reading other people's comments I'm starting to wonder if we should have roller blinds in the small bedrooms too, and just curtains in the master.
vertical blinds for me. I don't like dust trapped in curtains and like to keep my windows and sliding doors open, so blinds work better with open windows / doors.
Double rollers ( a sheer and a block out )

Panel blinds on sliding glass doors and bifolds.

Costly tho
Prob depends where you live as well, we keep our curtain's drawn most of the time to keep out the extreme heat in Summer and the cold in Winter
donna61
Prob depends where you live as well, we keep our curtain's drawn most of the time to keep out the extreme heat in Summer and the cold in Winter

If you want to keep your heating and cooling costs down, you absolutely can't beat curtains (except maybe with heavy-duty shutters). Adding a pelmet also helps significantly.
I have almost managed to eliminate the verticals in my present house - they are horrible, in my opinion. They've shown the dust and dirt far more than any curtains I've had, they twist and break and catch on everything and generally, have been a complete PITA. Hopeless for opening windows - they cant be gotten out of the path of the breeze and blow around making a hideously annoying rattle. That said... they were probably the cheapest ones the first owner could get. Might not be as bad with better quality.

Replacements are mostly curtains, with a few strategic roller blinds. The next house will be similar with the addition of plantation shutters in a few spots.

Still. Go for works for you. Fashion is irrelevant - what matters is that you like your home and are comfortable with it.

HD
We are having a combination, Plantation shutters, roller blinds, curtains and pelmets. I agree nothing beats heat and light blockout like a curtain. I personally think just blinds look a little clinical however if your going for a modern look then that's probably the look you want and its a completely personal choice. I really hate venetians and verticals are very yesterday and remind me of rentals too.
Also rollers you can get in just about any fabric now so they can be as plain or dressy as you like. I have just this week picked all my curtain and blind material and was astounded at the amount of choice. Goodluck with your decision.
Related
21/04/2024
Question about motorised roller blinds

Window Furnishings

I have motorised roller blinds in my house. I motorised all the blinds I use a lot and the ones that don’t get used too often I didn’t. I went through Motorise My…

2/06/2023
Ebays Motorised curtains

Building A New House

have you used any of the motorised curtain systems available from Ebay? Which one and how is it?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum