Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Kurmond Homes

Page 84 of 94
Mallik
Hi guys, am new here.

We just signed the tender with Kurmond. For the fairness for them up until now, I don't have complains about them, especially Kellyville sales person (Mike) was excellent and worked proactively to make sure all the changes we need in plans to be updated, and also we asked him to include all those changes in the tender which he got his head office to do so without much delays. I paid the tender acceptance fee of $6000 to them last week.

Probably one person or few in their head office might let them down which I didn't significantly experience yet although I feel that they might be not the best in customer services such as responding to an email or even acknowledging a receipt of an email. I honestly hope the company owners will address those issues and identify the people who have become a bottleneck to their company and would address those issues. I am trying to be positive and honest in this process. I am preparing a website/blog to share my building experience which I soon would provide the link here.

What I have learn from my experience is ----

Mike is a sales person so he will be nice and once you've paid $6000 then that's it - Mike would be out of the chapter... There are heaps of other stages and big payments where KH's staffs will give you free of cost stress and frustration with those payments!!

Honestly If you can - you should go and check with another builder (who is fast in processing admin & construction stages) side by side...
nada17
I think they don't see any reason to improve their performance.

They have good sales team who makes a good company image.
After the client pays deposit and then 5-10% of tender price, that's when they stop caring as they know they got the job.
They will do it when it suits them and they don't bother much that their delays and mistakes cause you to lose money.

Most people do not want to lose money already paid and time already spent that's why they just stick with Kurmond.

SPOT ON - I am 100% agree! We have experienced the same...

Kurmond's office staff can give you false information, misleading commitments, unwanted delays, etc...In short it is easy to be stressed out while you deal with them!
1building
Mallik
Hi guys, am new here.

We just signed the tender with Kurmond. For the fairness for them up until now, I don't have complains about them, especially Kellyville sales person (Mike) was excellent and worked proactively to make sure all the changes we need in plans to be updated, and also we asked him to include all those changes in the tender which he got his head office to do so without much delays. I paid the tender acceptance fee of $6000 to them last week.

Probably one person or few in their head office might let them down which I didn't significantly experience yet although I feel that they might be not the best in customer services such as responding to an email or even acknowledging a receipt of an email. I honestly hope the company owners will address those issues and identify the people who have become a bottleneck to their company and would address those issues. I am trying to be positive and honest in this process. I am preparing a website/blog to share my building experience which I soon would provide the link here.

What I have learn from my experience is ----

Mike is a sales person so he will be nice and once you've paid $6000 then that's it - Mike would be out of the chapter... There are heaps of other stages and big payments where KH's staffs will give you free of cost stress and frustration with those payments!!

Honestly If you can - you should go and check with another builder (who is fast in processing admin & construction stages) side by side...

I now have paid $6000 and then $10000 (preliminary agreement), still Mike is following things up. Hopefully he will coordinate and follow up the rest of the process too. Also someone from their head office called me today and got some early feedback on the process so far. What you guys are saying truth (I believe), then I guess they may be taking steps to provide a better customer experiace? So far I didn't see anyone who has completed their build complaning about the build quality, that is exactly what I am expecting after all. I personally know two families who built with Kurmond, one is having great commnets and he is happy about the timeline as well as the process. Other one is not so happy about the way head office worked and how responsive his communications (calls/emails never being answered) and timelines, but still he is ok with the built product. Let's see how it goes, I wish everyone would have a great outcome.
hi guys, just an update on our project.
Kurmond keeps ingnoring us without giving any expainations. no progress what so ever.
they just stopped working on our project and there are no estimates on when they would go on.

we are very disappointed and again and again regret that we have choosen them.

guys, think twice before signing with them.
That’s no good Nada17. So unprofessional to not respond to you to at least give you an update on what is happening, and whether there are delays.

We recieved our CC this week, and our CSO said construction is slated to commence in late April. No contract as yet.
hi vegiegirl,
congrats on CC! it was also quick for us.
we are at the same stage.
please keep us updated.
I spoke to Fair Trading today. They told me to send Kurmond final notice about lodging formal complain.

If someone is also waiting for Kurmond to do anything, you can do the same.
Give them a notice and a deadline, after which you can lodge a formal complaint.

Otherwise they will just ignore you without explanations.

It is middle of March. We have lost so much time in waiting and hoping that Kurmond's people would start working. We needed to call Fair Trading ages ago.
nada17 shouldn't the fair trading be the last resort? How long did actually take it for you from the initial deposit?

Anyways I am told that we will be assigned a color consultant this week. I started my process somewhere in last Nov (2017) and paid the initial deposit in 21st Nov 2017. It took a while for plans changes, but all because we needed some changes and again we changed our mind time to time on minor things (so can't blame Kurmond for the time taken for those). We paid the tender acceptance and other payments at the beginning of March.

Next step for us is the color selection. Probably I will put my timelines in a more readable format little later (probably in a new thread?). I am working on my blog to document my building experience too. I will share it once I have done some progress on that.
(sorry guys, long text below!)

to be honest, it doesn't really matter how much time it took from the initial deposit as we all have different situations.
We paid our initial deposit in Nov-Dec 2016 BUT our land got registered only in September 2017 so I would not blame Kurmond for any delays before that (though, they are very unprofessional in whatever related to drafting and plans coordination and we spent so much of our personal time on checking and commenting their same mistakes. but that's a different story and apart from that we wasted a lot of our personal time finding and reporting all their mistakes, whatever happened before land registration didn't actually delay the home construction.

The major delay happened from October-November 2017 to this day.
They just stopped working on our file. We had our internal colours appointment in October. After that colours lady told us that she would send us the paperwork in 2 week time (which was reasonable). After we didn't get anything in the middle of November we contacted Kurmond and they told us that the colours lady doesn't work with them anymore and in fact she left a mess after herself so they cannot proceed with 30 jobs (including ours) until they figure everything out. At the same time they told us that we would need to have another colours appointment as they couldn't find our papers. We complained to senior manager about that and they reported that they found all the papers and all is good.
End of November they sorted out a few things from internal colours and then just stopped doing anything saying that our project is not urgent and there are many other jobs which are more urgent.
The initial idea was to finish all the colours paperwork until the we get the CC which would allow us to do the final tender and start the construction right after CC.

During the whole time we send them e-mails to remind them that it is time to do stuff but they just ignored us or gave us answers like "we have double checked your papers and after we triple check them we will send them to you".

Today we have the CC but no finalised colours paperwork so we are unable to do the final tender and we have no idea of how long it will take them to sort everything out.

My yesterdays complain and e-mail made them move and they sent us couple of plans (flooring plan and insulation plan). There are other plans that need to be sorted out before final tender. Yesterday they told us they would send us something by the end of this week.

The question is why did they wasted so much of our time in waiting for nothing and why did they wait for us to go to Fair Trading to initiate any work.

I will also post here my timeline soon. I have everything recorded in excel spreadsheet.

I suggest us to keep updating this topic as I think it is easier for everyone to keep track of all projects under Kurmond construction. I hope that our experience will help other people on deciding if they want to go with Kurmond.

I will probably also create a new topic for my build specifically and will update both topics at the same time.
nada17

to be honest, it doesn't really matter how much time it took from the initial deposit as we all have different situations.
We paid our initial deposit in Nov-Dec 2016 BUT our land got registered only in September 2017 so I would not blame Kurmond for any delays before that (though, they are very unprofessional in whatever related to drafting and plans coordination and we spent so much of our personal time on checking and commenting their same mistakes. but that's a different story and apart from that we wasted a lot of our personal time finding and reporting all their mistakes, whatever happened before land registration didn't actually delay the home construction.

They just stopped working on our file. We had our internal colours appointment in October. After that colours lady told us that she would send us the paperwork in 2 week time (which was reasonable). After we didn't get anything in the middle of November we contacted Kurmond and they told us that the colours lady doesn't work with them anymore and in fact she left a mess after herself so they cannot proceed with 30 jobs (including ours) until they figure everything out. At the same time they told us that we would need to have another colours appointment as they couldn't find our papers. We complained to senior manager about that and they reported that they found all the papers and all is good.
End of November they sorted out a few things from internal colours and then just stopped doing anything saying that our project is not urgent and there are many other jobs which are more urgent.
The initial idea was to finish all the colours paperwork until the we get the CC which would allow us to do the final tender and start the construction right after CC.

During the whole time we send them e-mails to remind them that it is time to do stuff but they just ignored us or gave us answers like "we have double checked your papers and after we triple check them we will send them to you".

Today we have the CC but no finalised colours paperwork so we are unable to do the final tender and we have no idea of how long it will take them to sort everything out.

My yesterdays complain and e-mail made them move and they sent us couple of plans (flooring plan and insulation plan). There are other plans that need to be sorted out before final tender. Yesterday they told us they would send us something by the end of this week.

The question is why did they wasted so much of our time in waiting for nothing and why did they wait for us to go to Fair Trading to initiate any work.

I will also post here my timeline soon. I have everything recorded in excel spreadsheet.

I suggest us to keep updating this topic as I think it is easier for everyone to keep track of all projects under Kurmond construction. I hope that our experience will help other people on deciding if they want to go with Kurmond.

I will probably also create a new topic for my build specifically and will update both topics at the same time.

It is more than likely the same old story with Kurmond Homes, they do not carry enough Home Owners Warranty Insurance for the jobs they are taking on, so they cant do a contract until a job finishes, hence the delay tactics etc.
mrbiggens
nada17

It is more than likely the same old story with Kurmond Homes, they do not carry enough Home Owners Warranty Insurance for the jobs they are taking on, so they cant do a contract until a job finishes, hence the delay tactics etc.

you are absolutely right. I am sure they deliberately delay the process because of lack of insurance. that again tells about their business ethics.
nada17
I spoke to Fair Trading today. They told me to send Kurmond final notice about lodging formal complain.

If someone is also waiting for Kurmond to do anything, you can do the same.
Give them a notice and a deadline, after which you can lodge a formal complaint.

Otherwise they will just ignore you without explanations.

It is middle of March. We have lost so much time in waiting and hoping that Kurmond's people would start working. We needed to call Fair Trading ages ago.

That's the way! They deserve it...

Hope they can treat you fairly after that call...
As I promised I just created a new thread to share my building experience viewtopic.php?f=31&t=91499

I am also working on a website (blog) to document my journey of building my home. I will soon share that here.

Hope to visit here and update too. Stay tuned...
Hello everyone. I got some updates on my building process (see signature). Kurmond has given a commitment to prepare the plans ready for DA approval by the week ending 13 April 2018!. Excited...!!!

How you guys are going? Any updates?
hi guys!
we finally finished with colours.
Kurmond sent us updated papers and when we didn't send them signed papers back the next working day they immediatelly started to blame us for delaying comencement of construction. that's after they didn't do anything for almost 5 months... those people are unbelievable!
they have also made us paying again for some upgrades that we already included into tender. they said that the tender was made by sales people and since sales people don't know anything about constructuin they didn't price correctly some of the upgrades.
that's of couse always a client's problem so we had to pay.

on the bright side, we finaly got draft contract and final tender. we are still waiting for final plans.
there were some changes to our tender though. before signing the tender in July 2017 we agreed to modify the progress payment schedule to suit our bank's requirements. when we got the final tender now we were surprised to see the schedule changed back.

so guys, check all the papers before signing. even if you don't expect any changes in our papers, be careful and check every item besause Kurmond tends to change things without giving you a notice.

they say the comencement of constuction is scheduled to April. hopefully that will be the case!
nada17
hi guys!
we finally finished with colours.
Kurmond sent us updated papers and when we didn't send them signed papers back the next working day they immediatelly started to blame us for delaying comencement of construction. that's after they didn't do anything for almost 5 months... those people are unbelievable!
they have also made us paying again for some upgrades that we already included into tender. they said that the tender was made by sales people and since sales people don't know anything about constructuin they didn't price correctly some of the upgrades.
that's of couse always a client's problem so we had to pay.

on the bright side, we finaly got draft contract and final tender. we are still waiting for final plans.
there were some changes to our tender though. before signing the tender in July 2017 we agreed to modify the progress payment schedule to suit our bank's requirements. when we got the final tender now we were surprised to see the schedule changed back.

so guys, check all the papers before signing. even if you don't expect any changes in our papers, be careful and check every item besause Kurmond tends to change things without giving you a notice.

they say the comencement of constuction is scheduled to April. hopefully that will be the case!

Great to hear things are moving now. Keep posting your updates.
Mallik
Hello everyone. I got some updates on my building process (see signature). Kurmond has given a commitment to prepare the plans ready for DA approval by the week ending 13 April 2018!. Excited...!!!

No progress for us, still waiting on a contract.

Nada17 - glad you got your colours finished, finally!

Malik - wow, if they have you ready for DA submission in the next few weeks you must be flying along. Have you done your external colours already?
hi amegilla,
what do they say about your contract? have you done all your internal colours paperwork and got the CC?
nada17
hi amegilla,
what do they say about your contract? have you done all your internal colours paperwork and got the CC?

Hi Nada, it’s vegiegirl, I put in for a new avatar ages ago, and it came through much later! So colours done (took about 6 months to get through all the appointments and approvals, very staggered), got our CC, still waiting for a contract, with the vague promise building is to commence in late April.
amegilla
Mallik

No progress for us, still waiting on a contract.

Nada17 - glad you got your colours finished, finally!

Malik - wow, if they have you ready for DA submission in the next few weeks you must be flying along. Have you done your external colours already?

Hi amegilla, no we haven't done our color selection. It is scheduled on 5th April 2018. But they have given a commitment that they will get the plans ready by the week ending 13 April 2018.
Related
14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum