Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Kitchen Overhead Cupboards - same material or glass?

Page 1 of 1
Which does everyone prefer, for the kitchen overhead cupboards to be made of the same material as the cupboards below, or for the doors to be frosted glass?

We are getting ours installed after handover and I am trying to work out which would look better. If anyone has any photos of either style please post

Our kitchen cupboards are Laminex Stipple Seal and the benchtops are Essatone Frappe.

Thanks
It is really difficult to do kitchens IMO. I have googled your selections and have to say I would do the frosted glass with a brushed metal frame for the overheads. I think doing the grey sipple seal would be too much and too dark.
My kitchen is white poly all over so not very adventurous and we have white shimmer caesarstone. I like white kitchens but our neighbour did an envious job in their kitchen. Search for Gogo's thread. I totally love her kitchen. It memorable, for sure.
But for yours you wouldn't want to add another colour, tone in there. Frosted glass would look great. Be mindful that the tap, sink and cupboard handles match the frame of the cupboard door frames around the glass.
Hey,

I think this is a tough choice, we had lengthy discussions over this. We ended up choosing the same as the lower cupboards but I think you have to go with your gut on this one.
yeah tough one.

We went with same.

What I didn't like about glass is seeing the outlines of what is inside, and those outlines being different for each cupboard. Yep, over the top I know, but I wanted a uniform look.
We decided on white cupboards/drawers and Ice Snow caesarstone and felt if we also had white up the top it would be too much so chose the glass.

The display home had three doors each side of the rangehood but I changed ours to 2 x 600 so they matched up with the drawers below.

Hi Felicity01,

We have just finished renovating our kitchen and we had the frosted perspex with brushed stainless steel surround. I also have Frappe benchtops with parchment 2 pac doors.

I have posted a link so you can see what it looks like. We were pretty limited in how our kitchen would be designed and jsut stuck with the original layout but added an overhead cupboard which we didn't have before. We have also put LED lights underneath and when I put them on at night it looks awesome. I didn't do the lights inside the cupboards though. Anyway it will give you some idea of what it looks like.

[/URL]

Cheers

Jo
Depends what kind of kitchen you're getting.

Personally I love a fusion of retro and modern, so we'll be getting clear glass cabinet doors but just one either side of the rangehood. I think that looks lovely. You just store your glasses in there, we had it in another house and it was easy to keep looking great. Might add a couple of lights inside the cabinet for a really classy look. Personally I don't like the frosted glass look in the kitchens, I don't think it doesn't look as nice. Even if things are tidy inside the cabinet the blurred outlines aren't nice I think.

Sort of similar to this, although this leans more towards traditional.

http://www.cococozy.com/2010/04/weekend ... odern.html

Actually this gives a better idea. Gah this kitchen is gorgeous!!

http://notahousebutahome.blogspot.com.a ... chive.html
I like the same as the below cupboards. This is how we are doing ours

We've gone with the frosted glass overheads & I am in love!! It's one of the best choices we made in my opinion... Really takes the kitchen up a notch. It was only put in last week so no bench tops or anything yet, but I'm obsessed. I don't know to add pics here though & I'm only on my phone do don't think I can download photobucket
im not a fan of glass, as you can see all your messy stuff. I prefer white overheads or matching other cabinetry.

But it doesn't matter what we like.. what do you like?!
Related
12/01/2024
Overhead cupboards.

Building A New House

Hi, Can anyone give me approx. price for overhead cupboards. TIA

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

25/08/2023
Material theft from site

General Discussion

Different to what others have said but thanks for that insight.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum