Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Ideal Homes in Baldivis WA

Page 4 of 5
In hindsight I wish we'd spent the money and had an inspector, we thought our SS was great but after our flooring issues I'm thinking otherwise!
We got an inspector and it was the best money we spent on the build.

They definitely picked up things we wouldn't have.

For the peace of mind $500 is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Fmac, i saw what was happening to your floors, that is terrifying!! im glad we decided to get our hardwood floor laid post-build!
i think we will opt for an inspector too, its really not that much money when you consider how much the house is worth and i want it to be finished perfectly!

we went down to the house on friday and nothing had been done! at all! pretty disappointing since its back to bad weather and out house hasnt even had its first coat of paint yet!
not surprising tho, but not sure when we are going to see good weather again!

the water damage in the theatre roof is pretty bad, the roof has now got a bit of a hang to it, and the ensuite roof is changing colour and damaged now too and with all this rain i cant help but think about how much worst it will be because the ROOF TILES are STILL not on properly. so the OH will be giving them a call again today. they will literally need to rip down the entire theatre ceiling and start again!

Ideal homes really need to rethink who they hire for the roof cover because those roof tilers have been a disaster from day one.
then the data guy who connected the TV aerial decided a good place to put our aerial is right at the front of the house basically on the portico roof and it looks horrendous. not a big deal because my BF is a sparky and can move it the second we get it!!
i'm starting to feel sorry for anyone who builds and nether person is a tradie. because our list of things to do is getting bigger and bigger each day. And if i had to hire an electrician to fix this stuff, id be pretty annoyed!

i did the math yesterday, its been 16months since we signed our first contracts
no wonder my patience is wearing thin!
brace yourselves for this shocker.

we got our house painted this week.
it was painted the wrong colours.

true story.

on another note, electrical and plumbing fit off has been done and they anticipate the house will be pretty much done by next friday.
im in love with my oven. and excited to see the house almost finished. they have fixed the water damage roof in the theatre and had a site "clean" yesterday. Ideal homes have admitted their tradies stuffed up the paint and will be fixed soon but i think its supposed to rain next week :/ pretty disappointed but dont even care anymore as long as it gets fixed!!
Is that the external paint colour or the internal??
Well true story Aston, the same thing happened to our house too!! They got our two front render colours mixed up, so the trim was painted with the darker and the lighter was painted as the main....FAIL...and it was me who picked it up not them, as they are similar colours.They will fix it, don't worry...but it's just annoying isn't it. On top of everything else you have been through....jeez how hard is it!!

On the flip side, yay for almost being done. Bet your excited to finally be moving in soon.
hey belle!

It was the external paint colour! i could almost forgive them if the colours were similar (still no excuse tho) but ours are hugely different. its hard not to just laugh about it at this stage! i just hope when they repaint it the white still holds its colour as its now being painted over the grey!

heres a photo of the house now: its supposed to be the exact same colours, but grey on the main, and white on the portico and planter box.

i have to meet the landscapers on site on friday to discuss some idea's. so thats kinda exciting.

The pavers should have went down on monday however when we were at the house on friday whoever leveled the sand out and prepped the area hit a water pipe and have broken it. someone also drove a truck on the backyard and ran over our sewer pipe thing that sticks out of the ground so thats now broken too. the hot water system also has a big dent in the bottom, and the water in the bathroom taps isnt draining. hopefully none of these things are major issues that will cause a huge delay

very excited that we are hopefully in the home stretch, im getting a little bit tired of seeing people move into there house's when our slab was down first! we've slowly started packing up bits and pieces of the house which is a huge process but its starting to make it seem real
only things to go other then what ive already mentioned is paint the theatre roof, the carpets, mirror and shower screens, window treatments and garage door. beginning to think they might have been a little ambitious to think it'll be done this week...
we went down tuesday and have window treatments and paint was fixed. they fixed the water leak in the front and the back sewer pipe thing was also fixed. they finally have finished the roof cover, (only just instaled the vent things!) all thats left is carpets, pavers, shower screens and mirrors, and door fittings. going down again today so hopefully not far away! fencing booked for 2 weeks and starting to get excited!

still no word of when PCI is but i cant imagine it would be much longer!

excited!!
Yay, not long now & the bad bits will be a blur!

* If I didn't know that the renders were the wrong way round, I actually wouldn't think it looks terrible LOL

Let me know how the Landscape meeting goes, I am curious as to what Avalon's landscapers creativity is like
Omg Aston.....I can't help but have a laugh...not at you.... hopefully with you.
How freakin hard is it to get the paint right.
Um, yes major difference...at least mine was only slight. What a bunch of morons! As Charlie said doesn't look too bad, but will look a heck of a lot better the other way round. Yeh I hope the light colour comes out ok. As long as they do 2 coats. Some of these painters try and get away with just one, but they'll definitely have to do 2. On the flip side least the front will be well sealed with 4-5 coats of paint on it at the end. That's the way I looked at it with my house!

Geez you've had an interesting run haven't you...a lot of things gone wrong...but hey home stretch!

I'm sure your PCI wont be far away. I've found a lot of homes that seem to be well and truly finished seem to just it there.....frustrating all round.
hahah thats a great way of looking at it Belle! hahah atleast there is a perk. They fixed the colours and it looks wayyyyyy better, and the colour came out perfect! thank god!

carpets are alos in and look sooo good. i just want to lay on them all day!!

Landscaper was okay charlie, he didnt really listen to anything that we wanted and had opinions about everything, like he was like, if you grass this it will be hard to mow, and i was like, well thats my problem and im aware of that but this is what i want. then when we recieved the plans draw out it was want he wanted and not what i wanted. additionally we didnt want ANY plans or garden beds, we wanted a tree, plants in the planter and grass. simple. nothing over the top. he then told me council wanted 20 plants, so i accepted that and came up with a plan for the plants. when we recieved our draft plans there was 41 PLANTS! and almost no grass because he thought it was better to have mulch everywhere. needless to say we were not happy so i think my other half will deal with him from now on as i felt bullied by him at the meeting. dont get me wrong tho, the design was great and creative, just not what we wanted or asked for as we didnt want anything over the top!

also we are arranging our cross over atm. and the guy said it would cost $950 for cross over. i thought that was crazy expensive. is that about the normal price? we have a footpath out the front so its not actually that much paving!
Don't get me started on the landscaper. He rips everyone off and makes most people do all mulch. Hence why so many gardens look sh!t around here as weeds go nuts. Think he just trying to pocket as much money as possible as mulch is far cheaper than grass and obviously land developers pay he certain amount per house ($3k is allowance).
Also pretty much all plants he gave us ended up dying despite being watered and so on (reckon they were sick plants). Sorry having my own vent

Crossover is bout half of what builders charge (even with footpath)
Aston I've sent you a PM on the paving guy we used. $950 is a huge amount when it doesn't look like you have much at all . If that's through the builder...yup they all are a major ripoff don't go through them, def find someone else to do it

Oh and landscaper guy is an a..hole......just sayin
hahah im glad you guys didnt like him either, good to know hes just a douche and it wasnt just me!

ive called your cross over dude Belle and he hasnt gotten back to me yet, but now the pavings done its literally about 4s/m that needs to be done! our mirrors and shower screens are done and so are the door fixtures! basically only waiting on the garage door installation and fix the plaster around a couple of light switches and its done! it looks great, im really happy with our colour selections now its all done!

here are some pics!

Colours look much better now
Well done, Aston, looking really great
Looks really good. While I liked the original painting the rig way just makes the house 'pop'

Hope you have keys in hand very soon
Thanks guys!
So just a quick update. Garage door is due to be installed today! Also, we found someone new (thanks to belle) and our cross over only cost $350!! A lot better then the original $950 that was quoted!!
Also just an FYI incase anyone else in baldivis wanted to know, the side fence and side gate next to the house cost $600 total which isn't too bad!
But drum roll please
PCI has been booked for 7 October!! Not sure why so far away when house is due to be finished today but who cares! We have a date!!
However someone stole the cover on the hot water system! Which I thought was very strange thing to steal!
Now to book an inspector and hopefully PCI goes on without any huge issues!
Yay, glad that the paint is finished & I agree it looks amazing!

Sad to hear that the landscaper is $hit....will make sure we have plans drawn up & OH is onsite for that meeting, I hate bully type men....

Good luck for handover on the 7th!!!!
Theres been crazy wind perhaps it got blown off?
Yay for PCI they prob allowing time for them to do their final clean etc
Hey Aston,

Just catching up. Glad the paver guy came through for you. House looks fantastic. Yay PCI in week ...you must be so excited!! Be as picky a you want, it's new house so it should be close to perfection imo.

Oh ppl steal anything these days, least its only a minor thing...but still annoying!

When will you be looking at moving in do you think?
Related
14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum