Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Masterton Palladian Manor - The journey begins.

Page 1 of 1
Well here goes. We have taken the first steps on what I am sure will be a long and sometimes frustrating journey. We have decided to build a modified Palladian Manor by Masterton. We were very tempted by the Bronte by McDonald Jones, but were turned off by the (lack of) customer service provided to us by the staff at the Lochinvar display home. So far Lynne at Chisholm has been nothing but helpful, and has bent over backwards to get figures and costings for us.

We were able to purchase our land lst year, and managed to grab a 6800m2 block only a 10 minute walk from where we live at the moment. Its funny, when you tell people you are moving, they ask where, and I just point up the hill and say "see that shed...? - Next to that."

(Hopefully) here is a pic of the block, as the subdivision is about 10 years old, but the block was never built on, people have been using it for a dirt bike track, builders waste dump and a rubbish tip. So far we have pulled 3 BIG ute loads of rubbish from the site, and I am finding more every time I visit it, as well as more lumps & bumps that you can poke a stick at. I tried running my ride-on over it to tidy it up after we carted all the rubbish off, and nearly got whiplash going over all the bumps.

We have our plans finalised and are being assesed for Thermal values, then we should be ready to lodge the DA. Apparantly our Council is pretty swamped at the moment - hope it doesn' take too long.

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you all.
hi and congrats
large block you have fantastic
it is good you will be able to walk to your build everyday.
Happy to see your build take off and progress.
Welcome star warrior. Where are you building?

We are in port Stephens on a 4000m2 block. We were also going to build the bronte and totally agree with you on the lack of customer service at lochinvar. It is a shame as that is a lovely house
Hi Starwarrior,

Look forward to seeing your blog/progress.

We are in the process of signing off on a block at the moment.

We have searched say 50+ different sites for house plans so far.

We came up with The Palladian, by Masterton (but would need to make changes by flipping bedrooms to different sides and its not on display), then we came up with the Bronte, by Mcdonald Jones... (the designs must really have a similar appeal).

I was surprised that you guys (& someone else) received less than expected customer svc, i called them 3 times & visited this weekend (maybe a little dry), but service was quite good... maybe they had to step up their game or its who we've dealt with, anyway, back to the houses..

Bronte was nice, but not quite what we expected, so changes to be made there too.

How significant is the price difference to your Palladian, after your modifications?

We're planning on visiting the Chisholm Lodge at Warwick Farm nxt weekend.

How is your experience with Masterton so far?

Thx. & Hope you're enjoying your Journey.
cle076
Hi Starwarrior,

We came up with The Palladian, by Masterton (but would need to make changes by flipping bedrooms to different sides and its not on display), then we came up with the Bronte, by Mcdonald Jones... (the designs must really have a similar appeal).

I was surprised that you guys (& someone else) received less than expected customer svc, i called them 3 times & visited this weekend (maybe a little dry), but service was quite good... maybe they had to step up their game or its who we've dealt with, anyway, back to the houses..

Bronte was nice, but not quite what we expected, so changes to be made there too.

How significant is the price difference to your Palladian, after your modifications?

Hi if your looking for great customer service through McDonald Jones - you should pop in and see Vincent at Gregory Hills, I cannot recommend him highly enough. He was my consultant and even though we are now onto CLO stage he still answers any questions I have if they are outside office hours.
cle076
Hi Starwarrior,

Sorry it has been so long in replying, we have only just had the DA lodged due to valuation issues with the bank, so I have not had reason to visit recently. We made some pretty big changes. We added 2 bedrooms, extended the pantry, added a walk in linen cupboard, added a third garage, extended the double garage and the home theatre, changed the size and location of sliding door, added an alfresco - all up about $78,000 extra, and that doesn't even get me started on the facade and internal upgrades. All up the cost has blown out to around $470,000. I will try to add an image of our floor plan. . I can't praise Lynne from Masterton enough. I must have run a million questions and variations past her, and nothing was too much trouble.
Jen1977
Welcome star warrior. Where are you building?

We are in port Stephens on a 4000m2 block. We were also going to build the bronte and totally agree with you on the lack of customer service at lochinvar. It is a shame as that is a lovely house

Aberglasslyn
house looks amazing congrats
starwarrior
I can't praise Lynne from Masterton enough. I must have run a million questions and variations past her, and nothing was too much trouble.

Hi,

We had dealings with Lynn too and she was great.

Your house is looking like a mansion so far. It will be fantastic! If you can afford it
Hope it works out well.

Related
24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

31/03/2024
Masterton Homes Hydraulics

Building A New House

Thanks again. I will ask Masterton if they do this.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum