Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Simonds Experience so far

Page 2 of 3
Interesting, the house across the road is a Simmonds house, and started just after Christmas... and the house next door - which I'm pretty sure is a Simmonds Sierra - had the slab down just a few days after... as of Thursday the one across the road has the roof frame up, next door has the roof frame sitting waiting to go up. Coincidence? ;D
They seem to be chugging along nicely.
Te teds

Monument is the guttering and downpipes / everything, roof chocolate, the build is progressing very quickly.
The Teds
Hi Taylor22

We haven't actually started building yet. Still waiting for our final drawings so hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

They opened a Hudson display on Saturday so we have finally got an idea of how our house will look - luckily we were really happy with our choice.

What house are you building?

the Isis, with a double garage, changed the ensuite to have a double shower and the fusion upgrade - which is swapping the living and kitchen around.
Taylor

Thought I would share this be careful with the stain if they use different wood for the slats vs the window, the different wood absorbs the stain differently, they now have to tint the wood to have it match.

As for the garage door in full sunlight i go ummmm but when its in shade i like it and it blends in.

See below
Ok, what colour is your garage door?
Timbergrain
Cool, when's your handover date? Surely they haven't got much to do now
Not until 2nd week in april they have to put in a lot of last minute items after easter
The Teds,

You have mentioned you are going with the Hudson - this is a design that I am quite keen on for my lot however the only downfall for me is the Pantry location meaning that there is no rear access from the garage. Did you keep the pantry in this location or move it? The sales consultant we have been talking to said it would be easy to move but we cannot find a location that we are happy with to put it!
Hi bt91,

We have kept the pantry where it is as we don't really need rear access from the garage. Would it be possible to have a smaller pantry on the opposite wall? I think on the original plans, there is a nook on this wall? We have actually removed the nook to keep a straight wall in the MPR room and have also extended the wardrobe in bedroom 3. There seems to be plenty of room in the kitchen area so this may be an option for you?
Have you been to the display yet in Truganina? You should be able to get a good idea of size etc. once you see it in person.
Good luck with everything - hope you can come up with an alternative that suits you.
bt91 and the teds

Make sure you specify the location of the downpipes as the contractor places them just about anywhere.

We have to have ours removed or relocated

Love the photo Alcatraz
Thanks, if you look on the photo the pipe on the pillar is wrong as the rainwater tank goes just down the side. Leaving the pipe there would mean only a small area for rainwater collection.
Hi Alcatraz,
Thanks very much for the tip on the downpipe location - good to know!
Your place is looking great - have you been happy with everything else so far?
Whitma99 - we haven't heard from you in a while...hows everything going??
The teds and all Simonds customers

Yes happy with the work the down pipe and the mixing of different woods on the front facade are the only disappointing items. Most wouldn't notice unless I shared and whilst our site supervisors might not like this sharing it should help them develop a stronger offering in a competitive tough market.

Also looking at the windows. Specify a deadbolt on each window / sliding doors we will use a locksmith at handover, if we don't push they wont offer them as inclusions.
The Teds
Hi bt91,

We have kept the pantry where it is as we don't really need rear access from the garage. Would it be possible to have a smaller pantry on the opposite wall? I think on the original plans, there is a nook on this wall? We have actually removed the nook to keep a straight wall in the MPR room and have also extended the wardrobe in bedroom 3. There seems to be plenty of room in the kitchen area so this may be an option for you?
Have you been to the display yet in Truganina? You should be able to get a good idea of size etc. once you see it in person.
Good luck with everything - hope you can come up with an alternative that suits you.

We went down to Truganina the other day and there were a few things in it that didn't feel quite right and would need a bit too much changing (pushing up the price a bit above the budget.)

While we were there we bumped into the Carlisle display and their house there (the Aries 23) has now thrown another contender into the mix that is going to make the decision more difficult.
I can highly recommend Carlisle! Check out my thread.

I do like the Simonds facades.
The Teds, what estate are you building in...we are in Cascades at Clyde North and almost finished Loving the information we are getting
Just signed building contract recently for a Stanten with Simonds.

I got through to tender with Porter Davis and JG King, plus I spent some preliminary time with Burbank. Simonds have been the best overall. Very nice staff, extremely organised and very cooperative. Hoping the build process continues this theme.
Related
22/02/2024
Latch too far from the frame to grab

Windows & Doors

The OP has gone The latch and striker are definitely not aligned but there was no point trying to help the OP understand that. Hence the reason they are no longer with us.

24/04/2024
Carlisle Building Experience

Building A New House

Carlisle use to sneak a water resistant "Performance Solution" into their contracts. Have you checked your contract for same?

20/03/2024
Experience with HBCF insurance claim process NSW

Building A New House

I apologise for any confusion, but your understanding is correct. We approached our situation differently based on advice from…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum