Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Help with grey external weatherboard colour

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

You'd think choosing a grey for the weatherboard of your new home build would be simple .... wrong!! Anyway we've come a long way to narrow down a choice between two colours, so I'll attach an image.

Please note: we're using Surf Mist (very light colour) for our Colourbond roof, and we're having white window trim/fascia/fretwork so we need the grey to be strong but not overdone.

Dulux Endless Dusk is on the left and Dulux Milton Moon is on the right. We started with Tranquil Retreat (at the bottom) but to me it just looks too washed out for our needs.

Others' opinions would be appreciated! Thank you.
Endless dusk would be my choice but then I like strong contrasts. We have a weatherboard and brick house with a shale grey roof and chose Dulux Bogart with white eaves so much darker grey than yours.
Hi Cinder. We are having Milton Moon for our outside and tranquil retreat for the interior and surfimist roof with white trim and I find the Milton Moon to be perfect for us, not too dark and not too light. We did consider the endless dusk but for us it was a tad too dark and thats not what I was after.

Head back to Mel's blog Georgica Pond as she has used Milton Moon. To see tranquil retreat head to the blog

http://inthenightsky.blogspot.com.au/

They have used tranquil retreat on their exterior.

I have the painters starting next week and will post pics but I already know what it will look like as we took some othe the cut off bits of weatherboard and painted them and it looks
Thanks to you both.
Yes it is a tough choice between the contrast of the Endless Dusk, and the shade we probably prefer which is Milton Moon. Thanks for that Tash, I asked Mel what paint she used and she mentioned it was Milton Moon, and it does look fabulous I agree.
I contacted the lady from the In the Night Sky blog too and found out she used Tranquil Retreat, but I think the difference there is they have a dark tiled roof and can get away with the weatherboards being light.
Just had a look at your blog Tash and it's coming along great, will be very interested to see how your weatherboards come out! I think we'll have to make our colour choice before that though. I agree the Milton Moon looks great so never know, we might decide to go with it!
Liliana
Endless dusk would be my choice but then I like strong contrasts. We have a weatherboard and brick house with a shale grey roof and chose Dulux Bogart with white eaves so much darker grey than yours.

I agree with Liliana- but only if you are in the same situation where there is a combination of brick and weatherboard.

If just weatherboard, I would stick with the Milton moon. We have a similar colour scheme (with Wattyl colours) - Woodland Grey Render, Dune Weatherboard and Surfmist Roof
Nope we're entirely weatherboard - essentially this:

FYI the colour on this one is slightly too dark for us, and it is also a more torpey grey than true grey.

We have to do Wattyl colours as well, and colour match from Dulux. What Wattyl colour did you go with? Woodland Grey?
Both should be ok but I would go with the lighter one.
cinder
Nope we're entirely weatherboard

Yeah based on that I would stick with the lighter colour. I have to say I love your plans - I imagine that you are trying to keep with the character of other houses in the street?

We have tried to do the same - however most houses in the street are post war 50's weatherboard houses - so we have tried to give ours a bit of a modern twist, without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

The picture below is a little dark - but you can see that the garage render is Colorbond Woodland Grey, The weatherboards are ColorBond Dune and the roof + side bag/paint is Colorbond Surfmist
Thanks all for your input. Our street/area is a little odd, old area slowly being redeveloped like what we're doing but still a lot of old style houses, mixed with new units and modern rebuilds. Therefore we'd probably fit in no matter what we did! The look is more because that's the style we like and we feel it has a timeless feel to it. Thanks for the kind comments!

I want to agree about the lighter colour, but I can see atom that you've contrasted with your render colour being darker, whereas if we go the lighter grey we have no contrast, I am worried the house will look all one colour. Would you have gone entirely Dune if you'd had your choice? Still, I can be convinced!
cinder
Would you have gone entirely Dune if you'd had your choice?

Like you have said - I didn't have much of a say in choosing the colours. However I don't think I would have gone with Dune across the whole frontage.

But its a different style of house, I think the example you posted about looks fine.
Related
27/07/2023
James Hardie Linea Weatherboard - Issue - Current Build

General Discussion

Does it wipe off? Could be because of dry dirty drips.

6/03/2024
HELP! External Sheathing on a timber frame. Builder unsure?

Building A New House

Thanks Pulse, thats really helpful and very much appreciated. Also thanks for the pointer on sheathing, thats me watching too many american youtube videos!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum