Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Are you Building with H3nley in VIC?

Page 1 of 2
Hello All,

I have spent most of the day on the internet trying to find a builder for my block of land in Bacchus Marsh.. Have been finding mixed reviews on most of the builders..

This builder, henley has some great designs for a double where the master bed is downstairs... but their reviews seem quite poor.. However, i cannot really tell if those reviews are for real and if they are for VIC people only.

Has anyone built a double with H3nley and can you please rate your experience out of 5 stars? 1 = Poor and 5 = Excellent.

Thanks heaps... this is troubling me.
we have not been without our hicups with henley (all admin stage), we are now at lockup and so far so good. They are really improving their construction phase and it seems to be paying off for them.
thanks tengals.. where did you build and what did you build?
One thing to remember, review sites usually only get reviews with people who have an issue. Not many go out and give good reviews.

When there is too many good reviews (like our builder) it is generally because they have offered a prize to leave a review, such as winning an iPad (sad but true).

We had family build with Henley, their words "never again". While they have fixed some of the major issues, they tried at every corner to shortcut the fixes, my cousin knew all the regs etc which is what got him through, but I would feel sorry for someone who didn't take the same care.
Thanks for that CBPH... its good to know.. i have liked Carlisles homes a long time... just not sure..
We are also building with Carlisle and would highly recommend so far. We chose them based on very positive word of mouth - including our neighbour who has built three properties with them and doesnt have a negative thing to say about her experiences.

They do have some designs with the master downstairs as well - definitely worth a look!

If you can get out to Selandra Rise in Clyde, the team there are excellent and great to deal with!
andystar70
We are also building with Carlisle and would highly recommend so far. We chose them based on very positive word of mouth - including our neighbour who has built three properties with them and doesnt have a negative thing to say about her experiences.

They do have some designs with the master downstairs as well - definitely worth a look!

If you can get out to Selandra Rise in Clyde, the team there are excellent and great to deal with!

Hi AndyStar70, thanks for the info.. yes we had a deposit down with Carlisle some time ago on a Bellmore (double) but personal circumstances changed so now looking at Singles.

Thats great you found the build go OK. Looks like i will be looking at Carlsile homes tomorrow
Site Supervisor is everything.. sadly you dont get one until you have handed over a deposit and your locked in.

For the record, my PD build went fine. My friends h3nley is a disaster. .
Our neighbours built with this builder and spent over half a million $$$ and this is just 1 of many serious problems they have had with them. My advice stay away.
Ummmm, what's with the natural air conditioning??!!!
melfordgurl
thanks tengals.. where did you build and what did you build?

we have just completed plastering, sahara q1 in sandhurst
ive just had a good look over our place today, carrying on for our positive inspection last week (a couple of minor fixes done already),

I must say the plaster work is a great finish on ours from what i can see
In all honesty with most volume builders your experience will be very dependant on which admin person and Site Supervisor you get.. because depending on how willing they are to help it can change how you feel about the builder in general.. as far as a company, Henley is a good builder, they have reasonably good inclusions and upgrade prices are also reasonable... they cons is that their pre-site process can be slow especially drafting and you find mistakes on the drawings and sometimes you have to go back a few times to get fixed..

however our build has been excellent, we got a very good SS who is very experienced and knows what he's doing.. any mistake is fixed without hassel, but in saying that, the tradies he chooses are excellent and there's hasnt been many mistakes to speak of..

so regardless of which builder you go with the SS is the key to everything..
I built with Henley in 2009. Overall it was mostly a positive experience, and I'd probably give them a 4/5. Sales Guy was lovely and very accommodating, Pre start admin person was quite rude and told me different things to what our sales guy had (even though they had already been OKed by head office), Colours was great (but I was organised), Tender was great and a few other things were decided/changed on the day, and contract signing went well.

Then it all fell in a heap for a few months. We had documents that needed signing that were never sent to us and cost us a start before Christmas, and it took them 6 or 7 goes to get our final drawings right despite emails and letters/diagrams pointing out exactly where in the contract we added things and where they needed to go on the drawings. They eventually got it right, but from the time our land was ready (demo) in October, we didn't officially start until Feb.

The Admin I had during the full term of the build was lovely, and we got on well. There were lots of emails and phone calls and she was always willing to help and answer any questions I had. Our site supervisor was the same, and we got on well also. But I armed myself with knowledge and was sure to ask as many questions as possible regarding any concerns I had.

The build was fairly smooth, no rain delays and no major stuff ups. The wrong pot drawers were installed and the SS assured me that these were the standard pot drawers they always install in Henley homes...until I showed him the tender and the final drawings of what they really should look like, and they were fixed.

The whole build was soured for me, when the fit off electricians worked on something they were not contracted to touch, destroying it, and no apology was ever sent, or reimbursement of a $200 cable. It still makes me mad 3 years later.

I also wasn't terribly impressed with the maintenance people who treated our new home (1 year later) like a construction site...no respect. Filthy drop sheets in the kitchen over my clean dishes, paint drips on my floor and cigarette buts in my garden.

ANY of these issues can and do happen with ANY builder. People love to tell a negative story, so with any builder you will read more negatives than positives. As I said before, overall it was a good experience, but I won't be building again in a hurry! The most stressful thing I have ever done!!

Please feel free to go through my build thread on here, or my blog (both in my signature). We chose Henley as they had the best floorplan for our needs with the most added options and least amount of floorplan changes. I think we looked at every builder at the time
We built a single story house with Henley, have been in almost 2 1/2 years now. We were pretty happy overall, and would give them a 4/5 aswell. The Admin girls (we went through about 5 of them from start to finish) were the main issue. They did a terrible job, so we communicated directly with the SS most of the time. Our build is detailed through our blog and our thread if you're interested
Thanks heaps for your comments....

HD
melfordgurl
Thanks heaps for your comments.... Sounds like most people had issues with the admin staff...

HD

im currently building with them, they have been wonderful, and i could not be happier with my ss and admin.

my admin replies within half hour to all my annoying emails, ss calls my hubby every second day to update us.

they have been great and would def use them if i was to ever build again.
Okay, I collected my keys a few days ago ( wohoo !!) but the euphoria was short-lived. Here's what killed my weekend...
My rangehood (upgraded to Miele) gave me a fright when I turned it on as it sounded like it was going thru' a chain saw. Obviously some loose screws/metal bits left inside during installatiion.

Tried to open the sliding doors to my alfresco; wrong keys were handed to me!

Hubby's pet project (home theatre) was totally messed up; wrong dimensions for the sliding door opening!!!!!!!!

Wanted down lights in all the rooms and alfresco but only got them in the Master!

Wrong shower head istalled in Master Ensuite

Got in touch with the admin and was politely told that I had signed off on the final drawings and basically, that was just bad luck for me. I have to admit that I made the fatal mistake of not screening those dastardedly pages with a fine tooth comb and carelessly signed off on them...but hey, I expected Professional Builders to take care, and when instuctions for change is given either during Colours Appointment and the all-crucial Tender Appt, they would follow them implicitly!!! Boy, oh, boy, was I mistaken. Never assume that they will follow your instructions; in fact quite the contrary!

Story to be learnt after a bad burn....

Make very sure you screen every single page properly before signing off on those dreaded FINAL DRAWINGS. Don't rush, that was my fatal mistake here as we were trying to rush for moving in before Xmas. Yeah, we are moving in before Xmas, but not in the best of spirits!!!

I did change my administrator once, felt she was too brusque, abrupt, and not at all interested in hearing my voice when I called up. The site supervisor was good and kept way on schedule. No issues with him at all.

Oh, yes, one last thing. Argus Technologies....have second, third, fourth thoughts before you use them, please.

Overall experience with Henley...mixed bag, finishes of the house is pretty good but you need to be very careful BEFORE committing to get the job started.

Hope this will help you, good luck!
Tinklebell... im sorry to hear about your issues but care must be taken with all the documents and drawings. With all builders mistakes can happen and yeah you're right all documents must be checked carefully..

Just curious, did you do an inspection before they gave you the keys??
Tinklebell
Okay, I collected my keys a few days ago ( wohoo !!) but the euphoria was short-lived. Here's what killed my weekend...
My rangehood (upgraded to Miele) gave me a fright when I turned it on as it sounded like it was going thru' a chain saw. Obviously some loose screws/metal bits left inside during installatiion.

Tried to open the sliding doors to my alfresco; wrong keys were handed to me!

Hubby's pet project (home theatre) was totally messed up; wrong dimensions for the sliding door opening!!!!!!!!

Wanted down lights in all the rooms and alfresco but only got them in the Master!

Wrong shower head istalled in Master Ensuite

Got in touch with the admin and was politely told that I had signed off on the final drawings and basically, that was just bad luck for me. I have to admit that I made the fatal mistake of not screening those dastardedly pages with a fine tooth comb and carelessly signed off on them...but hey, I expected Professional Builders to take care, and when instuctions for change is given either during Colours Appointment and the all-crucial Tender Appt, they would follow them implicitly!!! Boy, oh, boy, was I mistaken. Never assume that they will follow your instructions; in fact quite the contrary!

Story to be learnt after a bad burn....

Make very sure you screen every single page properly before signing off on those dreaded FINAL DRAWINGS. Don't rush, that was my fatal mistake here as we were trying to rush for moving in before Xmas. Yeah, we are moving in before Xmas, but not in the best of spirits!!!

I did change my administrator once, felt she was too brusque, abrupt, and not at all interested in hearing my voice when I called up. The site supervisor was good and kept way on schedule. No issues with him at all.

Oh, yes, one last thing. Argus Technologies....have second, third, fourth thoughts before you use them, please.

Overall experience with Henley...mixed bag, finishes of the house is pretty good but you need to be very careful BEFORE committing to get the job started.

Hope this will help you, good luck!

Err.. I really want to hope your not serious. Did you not do a PCI? Did you not check on the place? I sort of find this hard to believe.
Related
23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations for Melbourne VIC?

Building A New House

I have posted this before: We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports…

5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum