Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our small build (NOR WA) - two years down

Page 81 of 81
Hi fmac I'm a bit late to the party so I hope you check in still every now and then - you have a lovely home!

I read in another thread you were considering having towel rails at the back of your double shower - have you ended up doing that? We'll have a similar thing - double size but single shower - and the ensuite is relatively small so was hoping the back of the shower could have a hook or 2 and maybe a shelf like in some hotels for spare towels
If you do have this - does it work well?

Hope you're well and settled in nicely into your new home!
Hi
I do still check occasionally

At the moment we have two hooks in our ensuite but now the weather is coolest he towels don't dry. I usually hang mine over the shower rail overnight to dry (I shower at night hubby showers in the morning). I'm still considering a rail in the shower, if it was high it wouldn't get wet and would keep the towels out of the way.
Our other option is a heated rail in the WIR.... But I need to find one
thanks for replying
I was actually wondering whether it would be possible to have a heated rail at the back of the shower! With one of those racks on top for spare towels - I'm going to try to find out I think
I saw the heated shower rail at homebase expo.
Hi FMac, just caught up with your thread. I hope you had a wonderful celebration on Saturday. Congratulations
Well it has been a while but I have been attempting to keep up. With many posts.

On Sunday it will have been a year since we've moved in and tomorrow we are having the front of the house repainted. I have hated the shale grey since we moved in, it just made the front look too blue and we have a friend who is a painter who is doing us a good deal to repaint. I'll post a before and after. I so hope I like it repainted! Otherwise it'll be at least a year before I can fix it!

I love the house since we moved in and we haven't done much, we haven't deme the front garden since next door is only just building. We are having a/c installed on Monday which I am happy to have happen
and well have 6 months to decide on heating, but were considering a wood fired heater. There are some amazing modern looking fires out there....

In hindsight I'd make some changes, but knowing what we had to work with I'm happy with the final result. Though I'm keen to see what our neighbours do compared to us.
Hi fmac - happy moving in first birthday! It is really interesting to hear experiences after living in your new home for a while.

I'd be interested in what you'd have done differently if you started again with the same area - I've been looking at our plans non stop to try and see if there is anything that might irritate me should I live there lol - sometimes it is the little things isn't it?

We're getting a wood fired fireplace, and some of the free standing non built in ones are lovely and modern and they generate a lot of heat.

What colour are you having the house painted? I'll keep fingers crossed you like the new colour better although I've had a look at your house earlier in your thread and it looks lovely to me. Guess it is difficult to see from pictures on the internet what it really looks like - colours are so difficult
Can't wait to see the before and after pics.
Hi fmac - you mentioned in fp's thread re painting your door frames a white with grey to avoid it going yellow - do you have the colour you used please? Would appreciate it very much! Thanks
I have to apologise for being slack! Its been a crazy week at work!!

I love the new colour for the house but haven't had a chance to get a good picture. But it now makes me smile when I get home

We also had our AC installed. We had some issues as our ceiling is quiet soft apparently but the customer service has been amazing!!

As for the door frame colour it is taubmans Gemini silver (had to dig out the house file)
. It even doesn't look that grey next to our polar white kitchen cabinets.
Thanks for that fmac! I've made a note of it so I can ask for it
Did you paint your skirting in the same colour?

Good timing with the A/C just before the real summer starts! And I'm glad to hear the new colour worked out so well - can't wait for pics!
So it has been a while. I have still been keeping up with a few builds when I have a chance.

It is hard to believe that we have been in the house for 2 years!! We finally have someone coming this week to quote on getting the front years finished (once that is done I will put up a photo) but I can say while the change in colour to the front wasn't dramatic it still now makes me smile when we pull up.

I have been busy trying to get things 'finished' as we have an addition to our family coming in February! So I have been busy trying to clear out the spare room and set up a proper study so we have space for a nursery!!

Two years down we love our house. I won't lie there are things I wish I had noticed, or known about, and would do differently if I had my time again but none of them are major things just the little things (like raising the roof in the garage and alfresco, putting a door on our WIR/ensuite).

We now just have to work out between now and next winter how we will do our heating next winter! I really want a wood burner, but we aren't sure we can fit it in. Our only other options are a split system in the living room (hubby thinks they are ugly) or a gas heater, but with the cost of gas only increasing and we would have to put a gas point in it is becoming a difficult choice....
Fmac congratulations

Can't wait for photos
Hi Fmac so nice to see you back
Congratulations with the imminent arrival of a new family member how exciting! Really glad to hear you love living in your beautiful house and looking forward very much to photo updates.
Oh great timing, now not so frantic with bub on the way! Congratulations!! Gimme those final pics
Thank you for the congratulations.

We have found someone to finish off our garden so hopefully I will have some before and after photos to upload by the end of next week. I am excited to feel like one big job will be ticked off the still to do list!
Related
3/07/2023
Moved in 7 years ago but no Occupation Certificate

Building A New House

Joe, it depends on your certifier but we are noticing the ones we deal with are really cracking down. So i would recommend you follow your approved landscaping plans to…

12/01/2024
Two sinks? Seeking advice with scullery/kitchen layout

Kitchen Corner

Hi, We're building a double-storey in Perth and I'm undecided with the kitchen sink situation. I'm set on having the main sink with dishwasher in the scullery - and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum